PDA

View Full Version : need help!!

joeyds450x
12-16-2008, 02:49 PM
ive never changed a arms before and need to know how you get these outa the stock a arms

WesDS450X
12-16-2008, 04:42 PM
hit it on the ground a couple times

ltrracer
12-16-2008, 05:52 PM
WTF am i looking at? thats the worst picture i have ever seen, get a better one up ASAP

ProspectorJim
12-16-2008, 07:10 PM
its a balljoint I believe.

Mr. Big Time
12-16-2008, 07:44 PM
theres a clip you have to take off, then just heat it up with a heat gun or a little torch, or if you dont have any those, put it in the oven at 300 for 20, and it will fall right out. Or if you have a ball joint remover and press that will work too.

*heating it up and making it fall out, is something I have done many times, that works for removing all types of bearings.

joeyds450x
12-17-2008, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Big Time
theres a clip you have to take off, then just heat it up with a heat gun or a little torch, or if you dont have any those, put it in the oven at 300 for 20, and it will fall right out. Or if you have a ball joint remover and press that will work too.

*heating it up and making it fall out, is something I have done many times, that works for removing all types of bearings. thanks ill try that how long will it take before it falls out? if i cant get it to work maintnance where i work will take care of it for me lol

TNT
12-17-2008, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by joeyds450x
thanks ill try that how long will it take before it falls out? if i cant get it to work maintnance where i work will take care of it for me lol

I wouldn’t put that fitting in the oven at 300 deg for 20 min. Aluminum such as 2024-T63511 and steel alloys get solution heat treated at around 250-300 deg, quenched, cooled, aged. You may ruin the temper causing hydrogen embrittlement and surface fatigue which could cause it to fail prematurely or corrode..Think of it this way, anytime you heat a metal and don’t cool it properly you take it through an unwanted load cycle and can ruin or deteriorate it's properties. You could also ruin the interface between the aluminum spindle and close tolerace machined bearing and the ball joint. You'll need a press to get it back in and seated properly, if these ball joints are not installed properly and abused they will fail and it's not fun when the do. If you have a service manual read it, it won’t tell you to heat this fitting up since it is under too much operating load.

Go get someone to press it out and back in cold properly. Cold working the hole actually improves strength. Usually a good idea to replace the ball joint at this time too. Check for a close tolerance interference fit and replace the spindle if necessary.

joeyds450x
12-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by TNT1
I wouldn’t put that fitting in the oven at 300 deg for 20 min. Aluminum such as 2024-T63511 and steel alloys get solution heat treated at around 250-300 deg, quenched, cooled, aged. You may ruin the temper causing hydrogen embrittlement and surface fatigue which could cause it to fail prematurely or corrode..Think of it this way, anytime you heat a metal and don’t cool it properly you take it through an unwanted load cycle and can ruin or deteriorate it's properties. You could also ruin the interface between the aluminum spindle and close tolerace machined bearing and the ball joint. You'll need a press to get it back in and seated properly, if these ball joints are not installed properly and abused they will fail and it's not fun when the do. If you have a service manual read it, it won’t tell you to heat this fitting up since it is under too much operating load.

Go get someone to press it out and back in cold properly. Cold working the hole actually improves strength. Usually a good idea to replace the ball joint at this time too. Check for a close tolerance interference fit and replace the spindle if necessary. ya i dnt plan on putting them in the oven lol i got some one to do it today at work....

TNT
12-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by joeyds450x
ya i dnt plan on putting them in the oven lol i got some one to do it today at work....

Patty cake Patty cake bakers man, put in the oven and bam bam bam.......lol!

Just kidding with ya Mr. BT....you might try like 150 max but better to do it cold if you have a press.

Al melts at 500 so don't do that....Steel 600 or so.