PDA

View Full Version : 33 and starting back to MX

dingocatcher
12-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Hi folks as the title says im 33 and quit for 10yrs and gonna start back nxt yr to MX am i wise or not? Opions plzz.....

:confused:

Drewltr450
12-16-2008, 02:37 PM
buy a new quad

fandl450r
12-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Dependent on a lot of things. If you're in shape why not, hell even if your not it's still fun. My mechanic is 45 and still races, so not really a certain age to stop I'd say. But if you're in good health, do it!

miller821
12-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Agreed, why not? In most of the local races around here we have a 30+ class, 40+ class, etc. Just get yourself into shape and have fun... And know your limits also.:)

quad2xtreme
12-16-2008, 03:48 PM
I didn't even start riding until I was 36 and raced for the 1st time this year...I am 44.

Anyhow, I know this isn't about me...why not? Live life to the fullest!!!

protraxrptr17
12-16-2008, 05:09 PM
I don't think I'll ever quit completely. I may get super slow, but I don't think I'll give it up unless there is no possible way I can ride anymore. I'm 30 now and owe alot of money, so I can't afford to get hurt. I just ride my own race and try to concentrate on having fun. Often times I still do pretty good against these young whipper snappers. WHen I first started this, it was a pretty level playing field because most of the kids had stock bikes. The older guys had the good stuff because they made more money. Now it ain't nothin for a 16 year old kid to roll up with a $20k 450R or something. If he gets broke up, he just gets to lay on the couch and eat Lucky Charms while mom and dad pay his doctor bills. I can't compete with that. :) But now I think I like racing more because I don't have to stress out about winning all the time.

dustin_j
12-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by protraxrptr17
I don't think I'll ever quit completely. I may get super slow, but I don't think I'll give it up unless there is no possible way I can ride anymore. I'm 30 now and owe alot of money, so I can't afford to get hurt. I just ride my own race and try to concentrate on having fun. Often times I still do pretty good against these young whipper snappers. WHen I first started this, it was a pretty level playing field because most of the kids had stock bikes. The older guys had the good stuff because they made more money. Now it ain't nothin for a 16 year old kid to roll up with a $20k 450R or something. If he gets broke up, he just gets to lay on the couch and eat Lucky Charms while mom and dad pay his doctor bills. I can't compete with that. :) But now I think I like racing more because I don't have to stress out about winning all the time.

I'd be interested in pics of your bike, sounds interesting.
Thanks,
Dustin

EDIT: Not trying to hijack the thread. You may want to focus on your suspension to help minimize the hits your body takes. Have fun!

csr250r
12-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Well when you get older make sure that if you get hurt you can support yourself and family?

im sixteen and i put in my first full mx season last year i deffinatly know what your talking about the kids on the 450s that had their dad pay for all their stuff. I see them all the time.

Its hard for me sometimes when i race them with my stock 450 in my own truck with my own gas and so on, and they pull up with their dads truck on full blown 450 that dad gave them a blank check to get. Not only that most of them are stuck up.

Brad77
12-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by dustin_j
I'd be interested in pics of your bike, sounds interesting.
Thanks,
Dustin

EDIT: Not trying to hijack the thread. You may want to focus on your suspension to help minimize the hits your body takes. Have fun!

Yeah, protraxrptr17 does have an awesome quad. Its one of my favorite hybrid quads. I own a KTM hybrid myself but mine is in a 400ex chassis. Go to this link and starting on page 3 there are some pics of it.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=250917&perpage=13&highlight=protraxrptr17%20raptor&pagenumber=1

Back to the topic though. I am 35, and I did my first race back in the late 80s when I was in my teens. I got out of it shortly after and I did not do another race until I was about 29. I raced a good bit for about the next 3 years after that. When I first got back in it that was tough but after riding a lot things started working back in again. After 2004 I have not really raced anymore and mostly just ride for fun. This is actually due to no local quad racing and I am not up for traveling several hours to go to a race.

440racer66
12-17-2008, 07:32 PM
haha ill sell you john natalies old bike for 4400.

PhilMoore
12-18-2008, 11:30 AM
I've been trying local MX on and off since 2000. I got a 3rd place trophy in my last race in 07. (local park)

Got second place in a local hare scramble B class in 07 also

I'm 38 and didn't race last summer because I couldn't afford it and might have been a little scared.:eek:

Hopefully I can hit a few next summer.

Good luck man.

dingocatcher
12-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by protraxrptr17

Just hit the the nail on the head.. Im self employed and owe a bleeding lot of money too and cant afford to get hurt! But where do you draw the line when you get to 60 and dont owe as much and just cant be bothered but wish you had when you where younger! Im 33 now and wish i hadnt stopped when i was younger. Its hard to get the time to train as well, but as said theres no pressure on now to do well so i can just go out and have fun!

As for a bike, ive a 06 trx, fully tuned engine, cf ignition, laeger t pin front end, lonestar rear end, long travel fox floats all round, steering stem etc etc i just need a new pipe for it as my header pipe is cracked.

Cheers for the replys guys, u seem like a good bunch...

protraxrptr17
12-19-2008, 07:53 AM
I run T-pins too! Wouldn't have it any other way. I guess it's an old guy thing. There's probably very few on this board that still remember Denton and his crazy camber setup. When you say Denton nowadays everybody thinks you are talking about a steering dampner. :confused:

Brad77
12-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Yeah I remember Denton's front end setup. He ran more negative camber than anyone. It was cool though because when the quad was in the air the front tires were straight up and down.

TilltheEnd
12-19-2008, 10:47 AM
its never to late to start back. if you have the means , equipment , and in the proper shape then why not. but you also have to consider whos going to keep the heat and lights on if you get hurt.