PDA

View Full Version : 50 limited rule change

DAVYS DAD
12-16-2008, 12:40 PM
you can now change shocks in the 50 limited stock class no more than 4inches of travel though. i just found this out, so check the rule book. i hope this info helps.

LATER

12-16-2008, 12:49 PM
this rule was already in affect last year in district 6 is this for the nationals mx or hare scramble

DAVYS DAD
12-16-2008, 01:02 PM
THAT RULE IS FOR ATVA MX

LATER

quadscrib
12-16-2008, 01:06 PM
That would have been nice last year..lol.

bulldogfallon
12-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Wheel travel or shock travel?

DAVYS DAD
12-16-2008, 01:15 PM
NOT SURE ON THAT BULLDOG, WE SHOULD LOOK INTO IT, I WOULD THINK SHOCK TRAVEL

LATER

bulldogfallon
12-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Looks like it says "proposed changes" so I don't think the decision is final yet...

Does anyone have confirmation as of yet?

It says that they will post the results no later than January 1st

quadscrib
12-16-2008, 01:37 PM
I do think its a great idea. Shocks make for a SAFER ride.
I dont want to get carried away but steering stabilizers should be allowable in all classes.

DAVYS DAD
12-16-2008, 01:49 PM
MAYBE I JUMPED THE GUN A LITTLE WITH THIS POST, BUT I HEARD THIS FROM A VERY RELIABLE SOURCE.

tntauto1127
12-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Sounds like a good idea unless you don't have $900 for some elkas. I thought the idea for the 50 stock class was to keep racing relativley cheap so people would want to get involved? This just brings it right back with all the other classes. Those with money will have the best equipment and will better those who can't afford it.

quadrider79
12-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Well the way the rule reads. You will be allowed piggy back or remote res's. It doesn't say anything about any adjustments.
Just SHOCKS. D6 did this last year but the shock had to be same length as stock. No piggy back and no res's. Right now I believe Elka is the only shock manufacture that makes shocks that are the same length as stock.

Have fun with this rule guys.

raidernut
12-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by quadrider79
Well the way the rule reads. You will be allowed piggy back or remote res's. It doesn't say anything about any adjustments.
Just SHOCKS. D6 did this last year but the shock had to be same length as stock. No piggy back and no res's. Right now I believe Elka is the only shock manufacture that makes shocks that are the same length as stock.

Have fun with this rule guys.

The new fox stock replacements series is the same length as stock and are less money than the elkas. You also have the lighter weight of the float shocks which is important in the 50cc classes. These shocks would be the ticket if they implement the rule. It sucks to have to shell out more money, but the improvements in handling and safety should offset the cost.

quadrider79
12-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Aren't the Fox shocks adjustible. As for ride height. Also are they limited to only 4 inches of travel? Let me know.

MXfun
12-17-2008, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by tntauto1127
Sounds like a good idea unless you don't have $900 for some elkas. I thought the idea for the 50 stock class was to keep racing relativley cheap so people would want to get involved? This just brings it right back with all the other classes. Those with money will have the best equipment and will better those who can't afford it.

I agree. In our local races sometimes it seems the most money put in the quad seems to win. Not knocking those kids, most are very good riders. To me, the most interseting kids race (4-6 yr) would be all on equal stock quads, let the best RIDER win.

Seems like the dirt bike mini racers are racing more on the skill of the rider, not the money in the machine.

bulldogfallon
12-17-2008, 05:17 AM
Any safety feature that helps the kids stay safe is a good idea.

The quads outweigh the riders by as much as 6 times their body weight.

If anything limit their speed and allow safety items.

skyeryder
12-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by raidernut
The new fox stock replacements series is the same length as stock and are less money than the elkas. You also have the lighter weight of the float shocks which is important in the 50cc classes. These shocks would be the ticket if they implement the rule. It sucks to have to shell out more money, but the improvements in handling and safety should offset the cost.
If this rule does happens do you have the part number for the stock replacements and are they adjustable?

raidernut
12-19-2008, 07:30 PM
get with Gary at G-force he has the shocks in stock already less than $1000 for the set of three i believe.

don bassani
12-19-2008, 07:48 PM
I think the shock rule is great,the stock shock for the advanced racer is not as safe in the woops as the elkas ect..this was a excellent rule change in d6 for safety reasons and will be equally as good for nationals.If you can afford to run nats you can certainly afford to run better shocks for safety purposes.In district 6 the shoocks could have no piggy backs to reduce cost.

coffing918
12-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by don bassani
I think the shock rule is great,the stock shock for the advanced racer is not as safe in the woops as the elkas ect..this was a excellent rule change in d6 for safety reasons and will be equally as good for nationals.If you can afford to run nats you can certainly afford to run better shocks for safety purposes.In district 6 the shoocks could have no piggy backs to reduce cost. WHAT R PIGGY BACKS IM NEW TO THE WHOLE MODIFYING THING, I HAVE A SET OF FOX SHOCKS JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE THEY WILL BE LEGAL IN THE LIMITED CLASS B4 WE HAVE THEM PUT ON.

quadrider79
12-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Then you better wait until Mid Jan. for the rules.

don bassani
12-30-2008, 07:35 AM
918 , piggyback shocks or remote resevoir shocks have small canisters either hooked to the shock(piggyback)or remotely located .these shocks are more money .the shocks that d6 allowed in the 50 limited class looked just like original but performed better because of better springs, dampening ect..my quess would be ama/nationals would do the same to keep the cost down since they are cheaper than the piggybacks and remotes.i hope that helped you out.

coffing918
12-30-2008, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by don bassani
918 , piggyback shocks or remote resevoir shocks have small canisters either hooked to the shock(piggyback)or remotely located .these shocks are more money .the shocks that d6 allowed in the 50 limited class looked just like original but performed better because of better springs, dampening ect..my quess would be ama/nationals would do the same to keep the cost down since they are cheaper than the piggybacks and remotes.i hope that helped you out.

thank you don it helped and that is the kind i have FOX shox with the canisters on them, my dad gave them to my son they were off my lil brothers cobra#799, so i guess i cant use them in the limited class.

jerkyboy
12-30-2008, 08:04 AM
I agree on the saftey but every year we get a little further away
from stock. It has to end somewere, this is the stock limited class.
Buy a cobra and run the 50 production class at the nats. We are going to run as many natianal as possible and hes going to run the stock shocks win or loose. That just my opinion.

quadscrib
12-30-2008, 08:54 AM
I do see your point but buying a $8000.00 Cobra just doent fly for alot of us..lol And i do agree that buying $1000.00 shocks doesnt work for all either but in MY opinion the shocks come right down to a safety matter and safety is #1. Again safety can go on endlessly as well so where do we draw the line?
Some of this is where the manufaturers come to play and we as the consumers just buy the best machine for the class. IE whatever comes the best STOCK and that is the spirit of the 50 limited rules and that DOES (or should) push DRR and APEX and so to produce the best machine and mabey come out w/ a 50 limited machine w/ say FOX shocks on them.
I stated earlier in this thread that if anything steering stabilizers should be on the table more than shocks but Im personally ALL for adding shocks as allowable.
One question I have is how is the 4" travel rule enforced?

DAVYS DAD
12-30-2008, 09:15 AM
scrib I'LL be there with a tape lol

later

quadscrib
12-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Im sure someone will be..lol

DAVYS DAD
12-30-2008, 09:23 AM
maybe that little blue ones dad lol

quadscrib
12-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Well I have a feeling that He would probably stay right out of that one....just a suspicion.

bulldogfallon
12-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Question is?

4" of wheel or shock travel?

Big difference

Bring out the calipers...tape measure isn't accurate enough :) :) :)

hotquads1
12-30-2008, 09:34 AM
the rule is 4" of lateral displacement with a contingent of +-1 vertical varience , I am sure most track officials will have a ciscometer to verify measurements. Its fairly straight forward when you read the rules.
marc

DAVYS DAD
12-30-2008, 09:41 AM
scrib i think your right on him staying out of it lol
2 more years of limited stock for me nick is racing this year
so i will be starting all over with the gassing it and not coasting thing but he is a quick learner and heard and can repeat everything i told davy so that should help me out alot

later

THARNESS
12-30-2008, 10:03 AM
I no longer have a dog in this fight.....But I think that the shocks are a great idea. These kids and bikes are getting faster each year and I belive the shocks will really help. Will took a nasty header last year on the downhill jump at Danville after hitting some breaking bumps and getting ejected. Thankfully he was ok but our weekend was shot along with the hundreds of dollars in entry and gate fees and about $1200 worth of Diesel. I belive that a good set of shocks would have prevented this one. If I had to do it over again, and the shocks were legal, they would be my first addition. Just my two cents. Hope everyone has a Happy New Year.

quadrider79
01-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Looks like Elka will be selling alot of shocks.

I don't know of any other aftermarket shocks that are the same length as STOCK.

bulldogfallon
01-02-2009, 06:32 AM
Here is the final verdict:

50cc Limited: Production models. The following may be changed: shocks (limited to a maximum 4" suspension travel), tires, wheels (must not change stock width) internal portions of the motor, spark arrestor may be removed (must still meet 99db), sprockets, gearing, clutch, twist throttle, handlebars, grips, handle bar pads, front bumper, rear grab bar, air filter and jetting. Air box lid may be removed or modified. Fenders may be trimmed, manufacturer installed parental speed limiting devices may be removed. Nerf bars or suitable floorboards and working tether cords are required. No other modifications are allowed INCLUDING carburetors, oil injection, air box, gas tank, exhaust systems, wheel base, width, rear axle, A-arm, steering dampener, and suspension (with the exception of shocks). However, if a violation is deemed by the referee to be cosmetic in nature, with no performance advantage or willful misconduct involved, he may issue a warning or fine in lieu of disqualification.

Class# 35

50 Limited Jr. (4-6)
Production
0-50cc, Automatic

41" max. width; 41"max. wheel base; max. 4" suspension travel

quadscrib
01-02-2009, 08:08 AM
I know this is a repeat questione but how is the suspension travel going to be measured?

EthansDad
01-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Seems like this is still in flux for a couple of days until we know if the fox shocks will be legal. I'll add my $.02 though....

I also think the 50cc limited class should be just that, limited. it's a great way for folks to get into the sport without bringing a $10k quad to the line for jr. however, in my 4yr old's first season (was actually 3yrs old when it started), he managed to break both a swing arm AND crack his frame nearly in half from bottoming out on jumps.

I think when the little guys first learn to jump, they like to get air borne, but aren't always landing smooth or clearing jumps. That takes a great deal of damage on the quads, and their bodies. The other day, my little guy said "dad, I don't like table tops, they hurt when I land".

The cost of the swing arm and frame repair was MORE than the cost of the proposed new suspension. Not to mention, less toll on my little guys body.

I'm not saying I LIKE the idea of putting another $1000+ in the quad, but I do think its sane and safe. Hell, we spent $400 on a leatt brace, why not spend a little more to actually prevent crashes??

-EA

bulldogfallon
01-02-2009, 06:13 PM
You could always make it a no jump class?

quadrider79
01-02-2009, 06:16 PM
I don't see how the Fox shocks will be legal for this year. They have more than 4" of travel.

skyeryder
01-02-2009, 06:29 PM
can't wait to get this one figured out FOX or Elka, both these manufactures probably can't wait for the phones to start ringing.
I've raced for ten years and never seen anything as complicated as this youth class stuff and I'm only three month into it, oh well he'll enjoy it....

EthansDad
01-02-2009, 06:37 PM
A no jump class? that does not sound like much fun. We could just have them park their ATVs and do a sack race around the track, that would be safe until someone figures out how to modify a potato sack :D

I think the suspension mod would add a lot more safety for the little guys, but what is a bummer is that it would make SUCH a differance that if you did not have the suspension mod, you'd likely be out of luck. That kind of take the spirit out of the limited class.

I think a fair balance would be to allow mods to the stock suspension namely stiffer springs. granted, Fox or Elkas would give a lot more performance, but a stiffer spring would prevent bottoming and quad + kid damage. Maybe that would be allowed under the new rule if the Fox's are vetoed.

-EA

quadrider79
01-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Even with the Fox shocks being out for this year. You can still get Elka's.
My son used them last year and he liked them way better than the stockers.

EthansDad
01-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Sorry to spam this thread, but I also heard something about the silencers can not be longer than the grab bar. is that true? doe that mean we have to cut off the tip of the silencers for the 50cc class?

quadrider79
01-02-2009, 08:08 PM
I too have heard the same about the silencer. But I didn't read anything about it in the rules. I also heard they were gonna let that go in the 50 limited class. All other classes could not be past the grab bar.

srxmiller
01-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by DAVYS DAD
maybe that little blue ones dad lol
My aren't you two cozzy. Would have gotten back to this thread sooner, but I was busy at the wind tunnel with our 50cc limited stocker:devious:

DAVYS DAD
01-04-2009, 06:24 AM
mr blue one first time ive heard from you on here i heard about your wind tunnel looking pretty good RB TOLD ME NOT TO LINE UP BESIDE YOU for your bike will suck all the air out of my carb making it run lean is this true LOL seeya this weekend in OHIO

LATER

quadscrib
01-04-2009, 07:52 AM
I was wondering when there would be some feedback. Long time no talk Bob whats been happening?

hotquads1
01-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Hi EA , good to see ya on the forum. Concerning the Fox's, Gary and I did some comparisons this weekend at the races and the Fox shocks seem to be a perfect match in travel as the stock DRR shocks , so they should be legal for the 50 class .
marc

coffing918
01-05-2009, 06:52 AM
does that include the foxes with the piggy backs

quadrider79
01-09-2009, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by coffing918
does that include the foxes with the piggy backs

If your planning on running D6. I was told there is 2 changes to the rules.

1) 50 stock limited class is now 4-6.
2) exhaust can not extent past rear grab bar.
Not sure in which way will be allowed to shorten it yet.

With that said, You can not run piggyback or remote res's. in D6.
From the pic that Hotquad1 posted the Fox rear shock will not be legal because it has a remote res's.

coffing918
01-09-2009, 03:22 PM
i guess ill get the elkas and save the fox shox with the res,

don bassani
01-09-2009, 04:59 PM
good choice 918 !!