View Full Version : ? about adjusting shocks?

11-13-2001, 10:42 AM
i was wondering that if i adjusted my front and rear shocks and made them stiffer wouls they bounce as much as they do now? i want them a little stiffer for jumping and stuff but i dont want to bounce when i hit the ground. also, what setting is best for jumping?

keep it real:devil

11-13-2001, 11:04 AM
A shock will bottom out no matter what the preload is set at,,,soft or stiff won't matter,,,the preload helps when the bike is on the ground but not coming off a big jump,,,the shock will bottom at whatever point it needs to. I'd leave them at the 3rd notch and soften up the rear shock compression,,and try to land on your back wheels when jumping.

11-13-2001, 05:34 PM
im not worried about bottoming out, just that i dont want the bike to bounce when i land. the reason is cuz it bounced sideways this weekend and i was able keep it from rolling and my foot slipped off the peg and i rolled my ankle. it sucked. thanks

keep it real:devil

400exRacerX
11-13-2001, 08:24 PM
If you know nothing about shocks them I wouldn't mess around with the rear shock and have a knowledgeable person look at it. just my .02

11-14-2001, 08:14 AM
Go out to shocconnection.com and read up on there commonly asked shock questions,,that should help ya also....very knowledgable reading..

trueblue450
11-14-2001, 04:29 PM
This is what I noticed when I messed with my shocks on the 300EX. If you have them as loose as possible, they are really soft, and will bottom out easier. But they will not bounce up as bad. I now have mine as tight as they go and they are a lot stiffer. I didn't notice any hieight diffrence but hey. But when I jump it can kick you up alittle more. But not as bad as youre describing. I rarely bottom out on this setup. But it all depend how much you wiegh. If you are 80-100 pounds Id leave it around 1-2. If you are 120-140 2-3. And everything up go to the stiffest. You just gotta get a feel for the shock and see if it pops up on you. If it does make it softer. But make sure the front and back are set the same preload or it will throw you ackward on a jump. But thats on a 300. I know the 400s have some wierd screw thing for their preload on the back. Mines a clicker. This is just what I do, and I don't really have a clue about the shocks but those wieghts I think would work with the preload settings, but dont sue me if they don't! :D

11-15-2001, 10:55 PM
turn your rebound down...it's the screw at the bottom of the shock..turn it counter clock wise..i this may help out