PDA

View Full Version : Dg exhaust? What did I buy?

dbc112
12-16-2008, 06:54 AM
so here is a pic of the exhaust I picked up cheap. full header and DG (he thinks) for $20.

Anyway, it is LOUD very LOUD and needs to be repacked...

Sooo.. Couple of Q's. Take a look at the pic, everything seems to be welded into place, how do I repack this?

If I cannot repack, anything I can slip on the end of this thing? Looks like it has some holes for an end cap of some sort.

dbc112
12-16-2008, 06:56 AM
Also notice this bolt on the bottom.. no idea what it is used for.

justin1022
12-16-2008, 07:01 AM
the bolts to drain it from water i think

justin1022
12-16-2008, 07:02 AM
i thghout you baught a dg super trap but the guy took the plates and cap off and put a regular end cap on.

dbc112
12-16-2008, 07:18 AM
Not sure what you mean? I have an older FMF slip on besides the DG.. Problem is it dosent have any where to bolt onto the frame. Also dose not slip on very well and smoke pours out. Any suggestion for the fmf pipe? It is a lot more quiet just cant bolt on. Any type of Strap that can fit around it?

416exfreak
12-16-2008, 07:34 AM
That looks like some seriously peiced together junk. No offense.

What kind of quad is it going on?

If you have a 400ex then I have a White Bros. E series with a ported header ill sell you for 50 bucks. Nothing is wrong with it and it will bolt right up.

dbc112
12-16-2008, 07:38 AM
Yeah it is CRAP I know... just needed a larger head pipe than stock..

It is a 300ex not 400ex...

I am actually looking for something that is extremly quiet. I do a lot of rinding on trails that back up to peoples homes. If you have a loud exhaust they call the fuzz... Plus on the trails I need something that is us forestry approved.

Soo.. FMF makes a "Q" series. Any other reccomendations? Like a quiet core insert or something?

I do have the FMF slip on as well, but it dosent fit very nice. I guess I could have it welded onto the head pipe, but that would limit my slip on options in the future.

Thanks for the offer though..

I was thinking about something like this to bolt on, dependin on the diameter. Looks like crap in the end, but my bike aint pretty (yet)

https://www.jcmotors.com/pc-5886-1131-pro-circuit-modular-quiet-tip-for-35-canister.aspx

Scro
12-16-2008, 09:14 AM
That looks like a homemade pipe.

jcv400ex
12-16-2008, 09:31 AM
call me crazy, but why would you buy a 20 dollar exhaust for a "national motor" ??? and also why would you be riding a "National Motor" only on trails???

If you get your story straight first, then people can help you out....:ermm: Need motor details and what you plan to use it for.

wykyd450R
12-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Looks like an older DG "RCM" with a home made endcap on it.

300ex_#387
12-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
call me crazy, but why would you buy a 20 dollar exhaust for a "national motor" ??? and also why would you be riding a "National Motor" only on trails???

If you get your story straight first, then people can help you out....:ermm: Need motor details and what you plan to use it for.

It says he only has a "national kit". That prolly means it's only bored to like a 297 or 299. I'm sure the head isn't all done up like a "national motor" is.

IOWAracer
12-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Might be a cobra exhaust they were pretty big back in the 250x and 300ex era and the bolt on the bottom is to take out the baffle and repack it.

TCracin440ex
12-16-2008, 02:19 PM
DG= Disfunctional Goods

or

Dollar General

Duke Nukem
12-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by IOWAracer
Might be a cobra exhaust they were pretty big back in the 250x and 300ex era and the bolt on the bottom is to take out the baffle and repack it.

Your right, it is a old cobra. That pipe wouldn't be a deal if it was free. Even with a repack, there still loud. Junk it.

12-16-2008, 04:52 PM
I can't believe no one answered this poor kid yet.

dbc, the FMF had a different style mounting set up.

They make almost like a hose-clamp type thing with rubber on it that goes around the canister, then theres a tab on top with a hole to bolt it on.

Here's a pic. You can see the clamps at the left bottom.

dbc112
12-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Bammo thats it.. Where can I get a replacement rubber thingy for the FMF?

Yeah the DG IS JUNK and CRAZY loud. And matter of fact, its not DG. I had a cobra on the old 350x motor and it was the same, insane loud.

I found a deal for a DMC Quiet Series for $170 to the door. I believe it is a slip on only.

Soooo.. If it is a slip on, I suspect that it will fit over the DG head pipe?

Also the FMF I have has some smoke coming out when I "slip it on" where it meets up with the headpipe. What can I use to get a better fit? And what are the baffles for? More is better or worse?

dbc112
12-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by jcv400ex

Ran out of money, had no exhaust. Bought a national motor because it was the only thing with reverse that would fit into my frame AND had all the mods I wanted done already. I was sick of the 350x I had no parts etc.. Went newer and this came up.

Plan to ride trails mostly, some of the local parks in the Poconos that have some track.

I think the head pipe is adequate (larger than stock)..

dbc112
12-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
It says he only has a "national kit". That prolly means it's only bored to like a 297 or 299. I'm sure the head isn't all done up like a "national motor" is.

From Las himself at GT thunder

We ported the cylinder head, installed oversize intake valaves, and installed a 2mm oversize piston.

dbc112
12-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Here is a pic of the FMF slip on I plan to use. I talked to FMF and they said it was the maga max model .

So I ordered a strap, some repacking material, and high temp silicon. Should help out overall.

Thanks everyone..

jcv400ex
12-17-2008, 01:10 PM
I would honestly save the money/use christmas gift cards and what have ya, and get a HMF slip-on. $230 and it's well worth the money. With what you've described, I think it would be sufficient. But with a built motor, it's important to match the exhaust and carb to the engine. I would ask Laz what he would recommend with his motor mods and the carb you have. With some motors, larger diameter headpipes actually hurt power.

If you want the mods to work to their potential and last, you need to have it done correctly. It might mean some down time, but getting it done right will ensure you're still riding two months from now and we're not reading about how your motor grenaded on ya!

12-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by dbc112
Here is a pic of the FMF slip on I plan to use. I talked to FMF and they said it was the maga max model .

So I ordered a strap, some repacking material, and high temp silicon. Should help out overall.

Thanks everyone..

More disk's = louder & more power
Less = Quieter and less power.

And about the loose fit. some fmf's use a reducer to fit the stock header. But did you try a clamp or is it just slipped on? You should use a clamp.

dbc112
12-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Just ordered a strap and packing from FMF.. Spoke to them, I have the mega max model.

Should be better than what I have..

Also running a 400ex carb that was matched to the motor by the original owner/racer... It is jetted... Uni filter with Lid.

I run VP C16 117 mixed with Aviation 101 leaded, plus nology plugs and hotwire wires for better spark with the leaded fuel. Also getting the ingnition coil from Nology for X-mas.

its funny, $ wise I make all the money to support the family, pay for a house, 2 cars, kid etc.. I have to beg for $249 of my own cash.. but priorities.

No gift cards comming my way for christmas, but definetly going out :-(

440racer66
12-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Duke Nukem
Your right, it is a old cobra. That pipe wouldn't be a deal if it was free. Even with a repack, there still loud. Junk it.
haha i said the same thing when i saw it

dbc112
12-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by 440racer66
haha i said the same thing when i saw it

You know you want it!