PDA

View Full Version : clutch adjustment or replace

400exvet
12-16-2008, 06:33 AM
I just purchased a 2003 250 ex for my son. It has a few issues but nothing too bad. The first thing I need to look into is the clutch. I am new to this particular clutch set up. When I took it for a test ride, the clutch slips a little at take off, but then it grabs and seems to be fine. The shifting is OK, up and down. The previous owner said it had to be warmed up before he could get it to go up the ramps into the back of his truck. Is there adjustments on the clutch or does it just need to be replaced? If replacement is necessary, any brand better than others? I do know that this quad has not had anything done to it, other than oil changes since new. I will eventually get the service manuals but any up front help is appreciated.
Doug

ryanh250ex
12-16-2008, 09:05 AM
There is an adjustment on the front (technically the side, since the motor is transversely mounted) of the motor. From my own experience, if it's not shifting right, it's a matter of adjustment, but if its slipping in gear, the actual clutches have broken down.

The 250 clutches are known to be a little weak, I have a replacement set from Honda. I want to say I paid somewhere around 100 bucks for them, but I bought them 2 years ago (and still havent installed them :eek2: ) so my memory is hazy at best.

There are several companies that sell heavier duty clutch packs, I couldn't tell you what's best. I've always been told that OEM is best because they are typically built with tighter tolerances, so they end up lasting the longest as long as you're not abusing them 24/7.

Hope this helps.

MRJACK9
12-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Loosen the locknut, turn the screw ccw until resistance is felt, turn the screw back (cw) ΒΌ turn. Hold screw and tighten locknut to 87 ft. lbs. Per Haynes Manual