PDA

View Full Version : gt thunder prices? how bad is the stock suspension?

Bridgewater
12-15-2008, 07:06 PM
alright well im a smaller guy (140 lbs) 5"5 ive heard so many things about the 400ex shocks.
are they really that bad? ive not hit many big jumps yet been kind of hesitant just because of some of the things ive heard.
could i soften them up and it be fine for me? since im lighter.
but i do plan on throwing in some gt thunder 450r shocks.
-How much would this cost?
Getting 450r Shocks revalved and sprung by gt thunder.
Getting rear shock link or re sprung?

what should i do to best suit me? resprung, revalved, link?
which one lol.
and an estimated price for this?

powermadd400ex
12-15-2008, 07:14 PM
i cant help ya with the gtt shocks.
but i can tell you from my expirence that the stockers suck!
im 6'1" 135ibs and it bottomed out on me all the time, on every jump. i finally got tired of it and bought elkas. best decision i ever made :)

Bridgewater
12-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
i cant help ya with the gtt shocks.
but i can tell you from my expirence that the stockers suck!
im 6'1" 135ibs and it bottomed out on me all the time, on every jump. i finally got tired of it and bought elkas. best decision i ever made :)

alright ive made my mind up, time for new shocks =] lol.
man i would love some elkas but i cant imagine spending that kinda cash lol. are there any other good shocks that are good prices? not trying to offend elka or nothing, i mean there awesome shocks but just not in my price range

powermadd400ex
12-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Bridgewater
alright ive made my mind up, time for new shocks =] lol.
man i would love some elkas but i cant imagine spending that kinda cash lol. are there any other good shocks that are good prices? not trying to offend elka or nothing, i mean there awesome shocks but just not in my price range

dont sweat it bro, when i was looking i told my self i wasnt going to spend more than $650 on shocks. but i got lucky and found mine for $500. but cheap shocks are as you said earlier GTT or C&D 450r rebuilds. give colby a holler and he'll give ya a quote.
others are peps, axis, ohlins, works. just keep and eye out on the classifieds on here and on ebay and your bound to find something that catchs your eye and is withing your price range eventually.

Bridgewater
12-15-2008, 07:53 PM
alright man thanks.
ill try and get ahold of him and keep a look out for some shocks. :devil:
thanks again bro

12-15-2008, 07:53 PM
theres some XC GTT shocks all 3 for the 400ex for 500 but are for a 175lb XC rider. good for little and sucky for jumps

Bridgewater
12-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
theres some XC GTT shocks all 3 for the 400ex for 500 but are for a 175lb XC rider. good for little and sucky for jumps

thanks for letting me know man but im looking for something that can handle a little more then that

KEVIN300A
12-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Hey man I have some peps in real good shape asking $450 but taking offers.... they are 21 click bottles so you can dial them in for how you want set up for 160-170 so eat your cheeseburgers... but in all honesty you could ride them and feel 100 times better than stock!!! and with all your gear on your prolly def. 10-15lbs heavier... send me you email for pics!!! they are a great upgrade!!

KEVIN300A
12-15-2008, 08:13 PM
o yea I have ridden on 450 rebuilds they are def. better but in my opinion you almost don't want to waste your money... just my 2cents though.... go aftermarket

12-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by KEVIN300A
o yea I have ridden on 450 rebuilds they are def. better but in my opinion you almost don't want to waste your money... just my 2cents though.... go aftermarket

Just wondering who rebuilt them?

KEVIN300A
12-15-2008, 09:47 PM
I have been on derisi and gt thunder!!! don't get me wrong they are def. a lot better over stock.. I personally don't get the same feel as I do on an aftermarket shock!!! I think for the money to get a good used set of shocks is more worth the money...

2muchquad
12-16-2008, 05:58 AM
while there is Some good info online,it takes a person of intelligence to weed through the BS.Stock shocks are good for the machines intended purpose.Yours could just be blown out,for just play riding a set of Works would be the way to go if you dont like the 450 shocks,450 shocks are the way to go imo,plus they are adjustable,im 215lbs and they work for me.Stock Z400 shocks are good replacements as well if cash is a issue.

KEVIN300A
12-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Well a person of intellegence would have read his entire thread and seen he mentions nothing of woods riding and that he mentioned he is hesitant on hitting "BIGGER" jumps. So that would leave someone to believe he is into motocross or at least jumping. I am not a rocket scientist and never claimed to be. I am just stating my experience with certain shocks. I am not downgrading a shock I am just saying for the money spent on rebuilds he will be happier with an aftermarket shock.... This forum is FILLED with opinions and that is all I am stating in any of my posts is my opinion... Does that make it BS??

Bridgewater when it comes down to it, It is basically the kind of riding you are doing and personally I have never been happy with rebuilds. They are an upgrade but for the money spent I think (opinion only) that you will be happier with aftermarket. Keep and eye on this classified section and ebay and you will find yourself a good aftermarket set of shocks for the same price as buying 450r shocks and sending them out to get revalved and resprung...... actually probably cheaper! Hope this helps!

Bridgewater
12-16-2008, 01:37 PM
thanks all, well imma just keep my eyes open for awhile, it is winter so i wont be up riding alot until next spring atleast.
and my type of riding well, im not real big at mx but i do like to hit the track once and awhile and i love some big jumps out trail riding.