PDA

View Full Version : motor cleaning

bean2080
12-15-2008, 11:28 AM
i am using oven cleaner to get all the baked mud off my motor and it works great, other than alot of work. i got my head cleaned pretty good but im trying to clean the jug right now and i cant get in the fins to get the mud stains off. anyone have any good ways to get the motor cleaned in them hard to reach places? i have my whole top end off my bike becasue im doing motor work and i thought this would be a good time to try to clean it. i tried the search and couldnt find anything. or does anyone have any cleaners they used that may work better?

miller821
12-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Some Mean Green and a brush typically seems to work pretty good.

ae13291
12-15-2008, 03:55 PM
try brake cleaner or use a pressure washer or simple green

UNBROKEN
12-15-2008, 04:04 PM
i cleaned mine using a brillo or sos pad and did a pretty decent job

bean2080
12-15-2008, 08:02 PM
i tried all of that stuff and it all worked good but i still couldnt get down in the fins. i have a brush i can get down in them in but im not able to press hard enough to really scrub it. im going to go down napa tomorrow and ask around, if i find something that works good ill post it up.

KEVIN300A
12-15-2008, 08:07 PM
maguiers all wheel and aluminum cleaner works great....

bean2080
12-16-2008, 05:53 PM
just wanted to tell you all that i went to napa today and got some aluminum brightiner. this stuff is hands down the best stuff i ever used, just spray it on and get some water and clean it off. some times i had to get a tooth brush and scrub a little but even when i had to scrub it but nothing hard. just do not let this stuff dry on your motor or it will stain it. i am so impressed by this stuff it should be pinned lol

Brauap
12-16-2008, 06:02 PM
How much was it? Pic?

bean2080
12-16-2008, 06:12 PM
i dont have any pics of it, it cost $9.54 after taxes for a quart of it. a little much but IMO it was worth it. the nice thing is, it just takes a little bit of it so you will still have enough for more times you need to use it. it is a acid so you need some good gloves when you use it.

f4istunna
12-17-2008, 10:18 PM
ive used eagle etching wheel cleaner a few times its only like 5 or 6 bux a bottle and works wonders on alum. Just dont leave it sit on there too long.

usually i just use superclean or simple green and a brass, or soft bristle brush and it does the trick though

sc400ex_rider
12-19-2008, 06:48 AM
those aluminum brighteners are all just like the wheel acid we use at the dealership. its a mild acid that will etch away any stains, someone on here said you can get it at truck stops also. you definitely dont want to leave it on to long or use it on clear coated aluminum as it will stain the clear. to get between the fins i use a cordless drill and a small wire wheel like the one plumbers use to clean the inside of a copper pipe before they solder them, you just cut off the handle. you could also use the small felt bobs made for polishing. harbor freight has many kits for dremels you can catch on sale dirt cheap.

250x_kyle
12-20-2008, 03:08 PM
make sure you dont get oven cleaner on any anodized parts it will take it right off just a heads up. i used it to clean the annodize of the nuckles for my brothes t maxx