PDA

View Full Version : Burning off PC?

Fred55
12-14-2008, 10:27 PM
I will be getting my frame repowdercoated locally here, but we are having trouble removing the old PC. Last year when I had it done I easily sandblasted the stock paint off, but this year the old PC is too tough. The place that is doing the pc for me is a large scale facility and they do large orders, but not a whole lot of one off stuff like atv frames. They suggested to burn off the old PC and then sand blast it. From what I researched it should work out fine, but Im was just wondering about what the max temp is for steel and chromoly and if I need to make sure the parts completely cool to room temperature on their own. AT what temp. will an oven begin to have effects on the strength of my frame, swingarm and a arms? Thanks!

Pappy
12-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Most commercial burn off ovens run between 600 and 800 degrees for about an hour or so. It wont have any negative affects on your parts. The place I use routinely does nascar type chassis and they are inspected after the process with no negative outcomes.

All the burn off ovens they use here are computer controlled and yes, the parts are cool when they are finally media prepped. The reason your having problems stripping the old pc is that the heat from the blasting process turns the cured powder back to a gun like consistancy.....kind of like removing bubble gum:p