PDA

View Full Version : repacking the silencer?????

ryanh250ex
12-16-2002, 05:13 PM
i have a t-4 for my 250ex. i heard that about every 25 hours of riding you should replace the silencer packing. is this true? does anybody do this? do you do it every 25 hours? let me know, i'd appreciate it

12-17-2002, 10:05 AM
Actually it's recommended to repack your exhaust anually. I've done it..it's real easy, not expensive,,but I think every 25 horus is a little much..after you've had your exhuast for a year,,then look into changing out the packing.

PS..most places that recommend the packing being changed so often,,pertain to 2 stroke more than thumpers..

ryanh250ex
12-18-2002, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Actually it's recommended to repack your exhaust anually. I've done it..it's real easy, not expensive,,but I think every 25 horus is a little much..after you've had your exhuast for a year,,then look into changing out the packing.

PS..most places that recommend the packing being changed so often,,pertain to 2 stroke more than thumpers..

thanks alot Rico......i've heard the 25-hour recommendation for both 2 strokers and thumpers so that's why i mentioned it.

i've had a T-4 for about 6 months (and 20 hours of riding time, so i thought it was coming up) , so i have a little while till i need to do it.

SGA
12-20-2002, 10:08 AM
When the pipe starts sounding kind of raspy instead of deep and mellow, its time to change it. Its not hard at all. Once a year should be about right. Clean any built up carbon off with a wire brush. Those throw away sugical gloves make the job much cleaner. You can get them at home depot and places like that.

Glamis400ex
01-05-2003, 08:32 AM
I do my DMC once a year. I know when it's time, it goes from sounding pretty cool to sounding like crap....raspy, kinda pingy....hard to explain.

Glamis