PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a DS450. Some Questions

kellymi
12-14-2008, 05:07 PM
I am looking at getting a 08 DS450X and I have a couple of questions. I’m looking at the 08 because I can get it $1000 less then a 09XC and I’m on a budget.

First off is the suspension. I know it has duel speed compression shocks on the front. Can anyone tell me how good these shocks are stock? Or do they instantly need a rebuild?

Clutch. This is my main worry. I am going to be racing it in the local hare scramble series, maybe in the B class. Should I instantly put a stronger clutch basket in or may I be able to get by? Does putting a stronger clutch basket in solve the problem? What damage is done when the clutch basket goes? Who makes one and how much are they?

I am also looking at the 09XC. I’ve heard Can-am upgraded the clutch but does this actually cure the problem? I have also heard that the early 09’s didn’t have the upgraded clutch, something about a running change, is there anyway to tell if its been upgraded?

Blizzard24
12-14-2008, 05:50 PM
I too just bought an 08 DS450X due to the price difference.

I will be using it for XC racing and once I spoke to someone close to the Can Am's I knew I would be better off sending the clutch basket out and eliminating a potential DNF. The Hinson basket is only $239 and for the piece of mind of not having the clutch basket desintigrate and send pieces of aluminum in to the bottom end of the motor, it is worth it to me.

You may never have a problem with it, but if it does happen it is taking other parts out with it.

From what I read, the 09 basket is different but still cast aluminum. So the issue could possibly still be there.

Every bike has some sort of flaw... the 04-06 YFZ's would crack and destroy pistons and crank berarings which destroyed the motors, the 450R's have crank and tranny issues and the LTR has shift pin issues that can destroy the cases so replacing a clutch basket with one that should hold up much longer is an easy and relatively inexpensive mod that a lot of people do in the other bikes listed above anyway.

yfzrider310
12-14-2008, 06:20 PM
I would get the 09 xc. 1000 dollars isnt that much considering it already has holeshot GNCC's and beadlocks. I mean thats worth 500 bucks right there. Plus you get all the refinements from the last years bike and camber/caster adjustment in the a-arms. Also its a 09 so it will have better resale value then an 08 at any point you decide to sell it. I would say go for the 09. If you don't have the money now save up because it will be worth it in the long run.

ltr311
12-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Im pretty positive you can get the 08 for even less than that. My local dealer is letting them go for about 2k less. Work on them a bit. If they wont go lower get the 09 itll be worth it.

kellymi
12-14-2008, 08:48 PM
They will let the 08 X go for about 6700, and the 09 XC for about 7800. (tax isn't factored into either one yet) Both seem like real good prices to me, especially for the 09.

On the 09 XC would it still be a good idea to replace the clutch basket?

I would probably end up running either one bone stock for a year.

andiboy123
12-15-2008, 04:42 AM
hi there i got mine a month ago

first - suspencion is like no other, my brother owns a yfz, my best friend has a trx and belive me suspencion is way higher than those atv,

second- as far as the clutch , change the basket rigth away , i just put a few laps on it but slow and it broke , not as bad as some people here but its brake the basket and the clutch , there are no aftermarket clutch kits so you have to go oem, real expensive !!!!!!! I order new set of clutch and replace with a hinson basket, problem solve, no more clutch noise real good lubrication.

if you decide to go for an 08 or an 09 its your choise, but you wont regret it its the best atv i have ever ride, good power and torqe its incredible

kellymi
12-15-2008, 04:53 AM
andiboy123 do you have an 08 or 09?

andiboy123
12-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by kellymi
andiboy123 do you have an 08 or 09?

i have a 08 ds450x

WesDS450X
12-15-2008, 10:04 AM
i guess im lucky, i got an 08 that makes no clutch noises

grantmi
12-15-2008, 10:23 AM
JUST BUY IT!!!! I CAN BRING IT HOME FOR YOU FOR X-MAS!