PDA

View Full Version : Powder coat color - which to choose

razer
12-16-2002, 04:21 PM
Has anyone seen a titanium type color or the silver color you see a lot of new cars have, plus it seems to be the style with stereo/computer components?

I'd like to see what that looks like before I get it. I want it to stand out from the stock frame color. Has anyone seen this color powdercoat on a frame before? Any chance of a picture?

Pappy
12-16-2002, 04:38 PM
im not sure what color you are lookin for:confused:

this is silver metalic....any pc shop can get it. i will dig and see if i have any other silvers and such

razer
12-16-2002, 08:20 PM
That's pretty cool looking. I'm trying to visualize what the whole frame would look with that color. That's close, but I think the color I'm looking for is a little darker than the stock frame, or at least that's what the painter told me. He called the color "Mercedes" silver or maybe just plain Mercedes. He said it was the color of the Mercedes you see on the street - that Silver/Titanium color. I'm dying to see that before I buy it.

Or I might go with some of the trick blue colors I've seen here. The good thing about the Silver is that it blends with any color and isn't as showy as others.

Pappy
12-16-2002, 08:24 PM
here is a new color i did today....the pics dont do it justice. its a charcoal metalic. its one of those colors that will go with almost anything and is still blingin:D

Pappy
12-16-2002, 08:42 PM
razer...here is what i think ya wanted to see in your pm....the anodized look

this blue is a transparent over the raw aluminum

Pappy
12-16-2002, 08:44 PM
purple translucent over polished aluminum

Pappy
12-16-2002, 08:46 PM
trans red over aluminum

razer
12-16-2002, 08:47 PM
My tie rods are that same blue color I believe, or maybe a little lighter. They look great. I'm considering that color for the frame too, but I do like the titanium look too.

Pappy
12-16-2002, 08:49 PM
another of trans red

Pappy
12-16-2002, 08:52 PM
im not aware of any pc color that will mimic titanium....but there may be.

if your heart is set on it you may have only a painting option which on a frame can be done successfully.

i hope i helped ya out some:)

Rider#11
12-16-2002, 09:08 PM
pappy is a good powder coater he does a grat job with all his work..give em you parts and **** bling em for ya...trust me go pappy;)

razer
12-16-2002, 09:09 PM
My heart's not set on it. I just thought it would look cool and go with other things like the plastics (whichever color I choose). In fact, it's actually hard for me to decide which color I really like the best.

I saved a bunch of photos from this site and I think I like the titanium and the candy color blues I've seen in here. Those are my favorites.

Does anodized aluminum scratch easily? I see some scratches on my tie rods. I don't want to pick at it to find out though. Was just wondering.

Pappy, you should put a page up on a website with all the colors you've done for people so they can choose for themselves. It would be a great way to advertise for business too.

Pappy
12-16-2002, 09:14 PM
AWE SHUCKS...i have a small page and we are working on a better one now:D PPC (http://www.angelfire.com/md3/ppc/)

i have all the work i can handle!!! i just enjoy doing it and help out when i can. the anodizing can scratch.....but is pretty resilant. its actually a process in which the first 3 or 5 mils of the aluminum are actually hardened and then dyed a color. the dye is very thin but if sealed should be tuff and not scratch easily. if the balkl joints werent sealed properly this may be the trouble....but its hard to say.

razer
12-16-2002, 09:28 PM
Pappy, on the top of the 400Ex carb, is that chrome or did you paint that? That' sthe color I'm looking for in a powdercoat, though. I love that look. Same with the steering stem.

Also, I like the blue brake pedals. That's the same color as my tie rods and I'm thinking of that color or a different shade of shiny blue for the frame. I don't want to go overboard though and have the thing look too guady. Decisions, decisions.

PS - I like the fram guards. Is that the POR15 or whatever that paint is called? Looks pretty cool how you do the top red and the rest black.

Pappy
12-16-2002, 09:30 PM
i only guide ya and give you options.....im not responsible for blingdom:p lmgdao

yeah the carb top is chrome powdercoat. it can look awesome :devil

razer
12-16-2002, 09:36 PM
Will that chrome powdercoat chip or get scratched up on the frame from rough riding? Is it better to go with a darker color for that purpose? I do like that look, though. Imagine that with Black plastics. It would be nice.

Pappy
12-16-2002, 09:38 PM
if the fella ya get to pc your frame does great prep work....and apply's a good clear pc over it....it should do fine.