PDA

View Full Version : fed up with the 400ex money pit

buck440
12-13-2008, 09:46 PM
its just one problem after another, dollar after dollar into an outdated quad in my opinion and im just done cause today it ket me down miles away from my house and IT WAS COLD. i'm going to sell it for whatever i can get out of it and put it towards a bran spankin flawless never before rode 450 with the warranty, yah the warranty so if you guys can just tell me your opinion on what the best 450 is to have and why it is the best, oh yah no ktm's way out of my price range here is a picture of it, it not as bad as you think and the local shop said they would buy it so no offers as if anybody would anyway

Brauap
12-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Sorry, but there is already about 3 threads on the best 450 in the Open Forum... :ermm:

One even has a poll....

Honda is still the least advanced... KTM is the most.. but you said no.. I don't know why.. its only 11.5K haha

I would probally say.. a Suzuki.. there pretty good.. and an 07+ YFZ450

Good luck with w/e you decide to do!!

12-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Only 2 I would ever get other than ktm would be a LTR450 or yfz450r.

12-13-2008, 10:12 PM
I'll give you a hint. If I could own any 450 it would have yellow and its not a Suzuki. The 400ex is outdated however I will continue to throw money into it.

Brauap
12-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
I'll give you a hint. If I could own any 450 it would have yellow and its not a Suzuki. The 400ex is outdated however I will continue to throw money into it.

Why Can-Am?

The only thing about Suzuki's is that they make the most ugly machines EVER!

The Hayabusa.. UGLY! (stock)
LTR450.. UGLY! (stock)
DR400Z.. UGLY!
Z400.. UGLY!

I have yet to see a real nice LTR450.. :ermm:

12-14-2008, 12:34 AM
I agree, suzuki tries too hard with there plastics.. I dont know what it is just something about them. I do like the color combos they offer though.

yfzfelix
12-14-2008, 12:36 AM
you mean the same Suzuki that WON the MX championship this year Brauap ?

Honda#4
12-14-2008, 07:02 AM
Whats the problems your having with it?

Not intended to make you mad but a machine is only as relieable as the person taking care of it. I'd say you do a good job at doing that.

12-14-2008, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Honda#4
Whats the problems your having with it?

Not intended to make you mad but a machine is only as relieable as the person taking care of it. I'd say you do a good job at doing that.

I agree.
Any 450 you get would require MUCH more maintaince then the 400ex. They are very high-strung motors.

And even with the warranty. If you don't maintain it right, the warranty doesn't cover picking you up in the middle of the woods and bringing you to the shop. You're still going to push it home lol.

Whats done to the engine? Im sure we can help get your 400ex straightened out.

And as far as the 450 goes.. If I couldn't get KTM the KFX450r would be next for me. For some reason when I first got on one I fell in love with it, and I couldn't even explain why.

12-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Brauap
Why Can-Am?

I bet even if you just sit on one and play around with the controls and look it over you will want one. They are such a nice quad the DS450. I dont know their reliability havent heard a whole lot about them but if Ihad a choice in 450 I'd probally be on a Can-Am. I like KTM but their plastics dont thrill me as much and they have a much higher price tag.

Which 450?
12-14-2008, 09:01 AM
the only reason you're having problems is probably because you are failing to properly maintain it. I had a 2003 400ex for 4 years, the only problem i ever had was the dyna ignition going up. NEVER EVER let me down.

buck440
12-14-2008, 09:16 AM
im on my third carrier,not stock,rear second axle,rear eigth pair of hubs, fifth pait of tierod ends, fourth rear sprocket, second pair of plastics,second pair of nerf bars second pair of lower and upper a arms, countless bushings and bearings and tires and the big one when the motor blew, it ran the piston kinda sideways and jamed the valves bent the crank, totaled the tranny but that was due to a loose oil drain bolt and that dr. visit cost my quad 2500 but at least the motor is near new. the reason i go through so many parts prolly is cause i literally ride every day like it was my last but i guess it happens. and what left me recently stranded was due to the threads striped on the axle lock not, so my axle was going in and out sideways about an inch, imaging what kind of riding would take to put pressure against them threads to strip them, i just need somthing nuclear proof!!!!!:grr:

12-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by buck440
im on my third carrier,not stock,rear second axle,rear eigth pair of hubs, fifth pait of tierod ends, fourth rear sprocket, second pair of plastics,second pair of nerf bars second pair of lower and upper a arms, countless bushings and bearings and tires and the big one when the motor blew, it ran the piston kinda sideways and jamed the valves bent the crank, totaled the tranny but that was due to a loose oil drain bolt and that dr. visit cost my quad 2500 but at least the motor is near new. the reason i go through so many parts prolly is cause i literally ride every day like it was my last but i guess it happens. and what left me recently stranded was due to the threads striped on the axle lock not, so my axle was going in and out sideways about an inch, imaging what kind of riding would take to put pressure against them threads to strip them, i just need somthing nuclear proof!!!!!:grr:

sounds to me like either you dont know how to ride or maintain something. Maybe a bit of both. If your having probelms with a 400ex I would suggest stay away from 450's.

buck440
12-14-2008, 09:24 AM
i clean the crap out of it after every ride and lube it like crazy heck even converse with it every now and then jk but like i said i do ride literally every day and dont hold back and the trails i ride are like some of the toughest woods trails there is

Chukkinsod
12-14-2008, 09:35 AM
My buddy has the Can Am 450....It was pricey as well...yfz450 will eat it up, after all said and done youll still throw cash at it. He said the same ...not gonna touch it..ok, hes got a pipe, new bars and a power commander for it already. Fast bike, but for the cash i've seen more bang for the buck. If your gonna upgrade let someone else spend the cash buy a built 450 used from someone with all the goodies on it. You will be way happier! If you race, its innevitable to break stuff...thats why people need sponsors it gets expensive!

hondaracer_34
12-14-2008, 09:42 AM
i would way the KFX450r. The quad is amazing. Just my opinion though. I also fell in love with it when i sat on it. Just test ride them/ go sit on them and see what is most comfortable for you. Good luck with your pick.

250x_kyle
12-14-2008, 10:15 AM
everything said is opinionated and it will be. go to a dealer or 3 and ride one of every 450. then make up your mind and go buy one. they are higher strung motors some of witch are wet sumps. if you get a wet sump change your oil, oil filter, and clean the filter regularly and dont just ride redlined everywhere and you wont have a problem. i love the smooth transition of the ltr, the snap of a yfz and the handeling of my 450r. i got a deal on my 450r or i would have picked up an ltr.

Lonestar_R
12-14-2008, 10:16 AM
I will say this. I had a completely aftermarket 250R and it started to nickle and dime me. I thought the only thing there was to do is to buy a new 450. So I bought a brand new 06 450R with the electric start. That was the worst thing I could of done at the time. I put up with it for not even 2 seasons of riding. I had revavles done and different bars amoung other things. it never ran or was as comfortable as my 250R. I sold it and bought an LTR. Buying the LTR was the worst thing I had ever done. Yes they are an MX machine but I built mine for XC. GT Thunder XC A-Arms and a XC RPM Axle. I rode it 3 times and sold it.

I had bought a 400EX back in 2000 brand new this was before my 250R and sold it cause I bought a house. I have now gone back to a 400EX that is completely built. I love it. Not as much as my old 250R but love to ride again. The 450's are not all they are cracked up to be. Unless you are racing. If you aren't racing for get buying one. My opinion is to tear down your 400EX and do a rebuild it. You will be much happier

12-14-2008, 10:51 AM
i clean the crap out of it after every ride and lube it like crazy heck even converse with it every now and then jk but like i said i do ride literally every day and dont hold back and the trails i ride are like some of the toughest woods trails there is

I used to ride all the time too and I dont hold back riding except for jumping because I want to go further but my shocks wont let me do that safely. Change your oil and oil filter regularly? Clean and oil you air filter? Adjust your valves? If you do that you shouldnt have any engine problems unless your over revving it

deathman53
12-14-2008, 11:18 AM

from what I read alot comes to maintence issues.

im on my third carrier,not stock,rear second axle,rear eigth pair of hubs:

From this I'm reading, lack of keeping the axle locknut tight or too tight of the chain, not tightening the axle end nuts enough, thus stripping the hubs and after a few sets, the axle splines themselves.

fifth pait of tierod ends:

not tightening the nuts enough and allowing dirt/water to enter the tie-rod ends, or ripping the boots somehow.

fourth rear sprocket:

that can be fairly normal depending of what sprocket you are buying, using a worn out chain or adjusting you chain wrong.

second pair of plastics,second pair of nerf bars second pair of lower and upper a arms,:

just riding in nasty riding conditions, rocks, alot of mud. nothing a new quad can fix

countless bushings and bearings and tires :

same as above

big one when the motor blew, it ran the piston kinda sideways and jamed the valves bent the crank, totaled the tranny but that was due to a loose oil drain bolt :

very bad maintence habits or running the quad in water, maybe drowning it out and when you drown out the motor in the intake open, lot of water goes in and bends the crack, causing the crank and valve problems

and what left me recently stranded was due to the threads striped on the axle lock not, so my axle was going in and out sideways about an inch:

another case of bad maintence, using axle lock nut thats not keeping tight, stripping itself out little my little and can be agrivated by riding nasty conditions

The 400ex is almost just as bullet proof as any quad you will buy, with good gas, regular oil/filter changes, regular air filter cleaning, twice a year valve adjustments and going over stuff so that it stays in torq spec, it will last a long time. A 450 is without a doubt the wrong quad for you, more frequent oil changes, more complex valves and in general a more maintence hog.

miller821
12-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Why Can-Am?

The only thing about Suzuki's is that they make the most ugly machines EVER!

The Hayabusa.. UGLY! (stock)
LTR450.. UGLY! (stock)
DR400Z.. UGLY!
Z400.. UGLY!

I have yet to see a real nice LTR450.. :ermm:

Have you checked in the LT-R section?

Diva's, Cardinal's, and Jstunkels's all for example are dead sexy...

Check the last few pages:
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=255054

buck440
12-14-2008, 03:47 PM
deathman53 the oil plug was due to forgetfulness and all the oil came out without me knowing it and it just totalled it and as you should see from the picture i clean it up real good after every ride and why i was wanting a 450 was i dont want the polishing up a turd feeling the 400ex being a turd. i know it cost money to own a quad but i want a to feel like it worth putting money into like a 450 cause there all top of the line updated machines and i would feel good about putting money into it, you guys should know what i mean

HondaRaceReady
12-14-2008, 04:09 PM
How much is the dealership giving you for it?

rcatvrider
12-14-2008, 04:26 PM
All of those problems with happen with any quad.

Stroker81
12-14-2008, 04:50 PM
So how much u selling it for?

buck440
12-14-2008, 06:07 PM
they said they would give around 2500 for it

Ruby Soho
12-14-2008, 06:31 PM
if you want a quad that can take that abuse, your best bet is sticking with a 400ex.

2muchquad
12-14-2008, 10:58 PM
they said they would give around 2500 for it

If you find a dealer to give you $2500 for your 400ex,you better take the money and run:D

ti2ibal1
12-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
If you find a dealer to give you $2500 for your 400ex,you better take the money and run:D

You beat me to it!

sc400ex_rider
12-15-2008, 11:11 AM
the key is to not make it a money pit, i only have about $1000.00 in mine plus the 6 i paid for it new. i think its funny when people buy a new quad for 6 g's then put another 6g's in it replacing everything on it so then can sell it for 3-4g's. i already learned that lesson with my 5.0 mustang

2muchquad
12-15-2008, 11:34 AM
I agree but some people just believe that a $1500 dollar ltr front end will help them go from woodsman class rider to battling Gust for the lead..:D I guess theres one born every minute..

dei3848
12-16-2008, 11:40 AM
if anyone here snowmobiles they can tell you that there the bigest money pits. i had to put 1,500 in mine and it didnt even snow yet

sc400ex_rider
12-16-2008, 04:35 PM
LOL ya .... what about boats????!!!!

12-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by sc400ex_rider
LOL ya .... what about boats????!!!!

Yeah we got one.

Thats how they got the term: "Bring Out Another Thousand"

ZJTurbo
12-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Buck no offense but I dont see where the money pit is? You bought a quad that is super reliable, handles great and with a little work can move pretty good. You have stock suspension/ wheels etc? All the thing you listed you replaced sounds like you beat the piss out of it. I beat he living snot out of my bike and break **** all the time but thats the way I ride. You can't blame the bike for that.

250x_kyle
12-16-2008, 04:57 PM
i rode my ex. and i ride my r. i didnt buy it to baby it. but if i break something i fix it right, and a take care of it. simple maintainece goes along way

Brauap
12-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by ride hard man
Have you checked in the LT-R section?

Diva's, Cardinal's, and Jstunkels's all for example are dead sexy...

Check the last few pages:
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=255054

Re-read it.. I say stock there ugly.. even alot of modified are.. but there are some that look nice..

Brauap
12-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by yfzfelix
you mean the same Suzuki that WON the MX championship this year Brauap ?

I said there UGLY, never said a thing about the quality or if they are good bikes or not.. :rolleyes:

Brauap
12-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
i rode my ex. and i ride my r. i didnt buy it to baby it. but if i break something i fix it right, and a take care of it. simple maintainece goes along way

There ya go!

Here is a saying I have heard.. and I think it may fit this thread quite well...

"Fix it right, or fix it again!"

buck440
12-16-2008, 07:39 PM
i guess if you ride hard these things will happen, but theres still a yfz or 450r in the future for me :)

buck440
12-16-2008, 07:40 PM
i guess if you ride hard these things will happen, but theres still a yfz or 450r in the future for me :)

2muchquad
12-16-2008, 09:51 PM
yeah well thats my buddys problem now,hes got a 450er and hes always having battery/starter problems.Hes goona put a kick start conversion kit on it this winter,nothing but problems.My 400ex and my 250r are like lawnboy mowers,they will run forever with basic upkeep:) Dont get discouraged,i feel like setting mine outside by the curb for trash day at times when things break,but i usually calm down...eventually

400ex28
12-16-2008, 10:26 PM
any quad is a money pit. :p

miller821
12-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Re-read it.. I say stock there ugly.. even alot of modified are.. but there are some that look nice..

I was simply wondering if we are looking in the same places, because there are quite a few sexy ones out there... Personally I think the LTR's and 450r's can be the sexiest of all of 'em.

miller821
12-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by 400ex28
any quad is a money pit. :p

Amen for sure!:p

Pipeless416
12-16-2008, 11:41 PM
just in the last month i have had to replace my starter clutch, timing chain, and i busted my drive chain on the last ride. so i figured its a good time for an FST oil cooler and sparks timing key.. it never ends. :blah:

sc400ex_rider
12-17-2008, 07:51 AM
I have never broken any thing on my quad. i had some crash damage and had to replace my bars, a front brake lever and a bent front rim. i also cut the sidewall on a back tire once so i put a tube in it. i replaced my rear pads that were wore down, a 4 year old battery and i finally blew my rear shock after 5 years but thats about it. i built my motor to the hilt and added the 450r front shocks just as an upgrade. it still has original tires, grips, plastic, stickers, chain, bearings, front pads, sprockets, seat cover ect. oh ya i put on the parking brake block off plate and a sweet stock 05 450r front bumper. my quad has been dead reliable and loads of fun because im very carefull what i do to it. i researched on here for 2 years before i did the motor so id get the right combo and learn all the tricks. i can post pics if you want.

buck440
12-17-2008, 11:18 AM
put some pictures out, and i've only had my 400ex for about two years and has been in running condition for afew months total but i ride in a ton of sand a long the wabash river which = high reving and there are a few good hills around which = high reving not to mention the extreme amounts of mud which = high reving and countless rollovers due to not knowing my limits but now i pretty much know them and with all of that said i guess these problems are justified, just thinking out loud

12-17-2008, 02:29 PM
if you are doing this to a 400ex, you'll be spending much more on a 450r.

Brauap
12-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
if you are doing this to a 400ex, you'll be spending much more on a 450r.

I think it was you, speedy, that talked me into keeping the 400ex.. (Well, I am going to sell my bone stock/mint one then bu an xc'r..:devil: )

sc400ex_rider
12-18-2008, 12:23 PM
heres my wheeler, its pretty clean for an 02. i have the front shocks off to re grease the bearings. http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4011331.jpghttp://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4011332.jpghttp://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4011333.jpghttp://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4011334.jpghttp://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4011335.jpg

buck440
12-18-2008, 12:45 PM
man wish mine was that clean, do you ride like a few times a year

justin1022
12-18-2008, 06:23 PM
ya warrenty suks i got a new trx450r and to even put a pipeon they said i would have to bring it in to them to do it even though its 2 bolts/.

buck440
12-18-2008, 08:31 PM
why did they do that?

sc400ex_rider
12-19-2008, 06:26 AM
My wheeler gets rode at least 6-8 times a year. I dont ride if its to hot (90+) or to cold (50 or below) or if it just rained, i try not to mud bog it. the key is to clean it real good after every ride. It does get muddy and i have had it in water almost up to my knee's. also i have lots of other toys to play with so im not beating on her everyday. and yes that is carpet in my garage LOL.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4010789.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4010790.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S40052.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4010026.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4010505.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4010517.jpg

buck440
12-19-2008, 08:49 AM
man i was just joking about riding a few times a year, how can you resist? i ride that many times in like two weeks, and what kind of bikes are those they look pretty old school?

sc400ex_rider
12-19-2008, 10:15 AM
LOL ya dont worry i get some!!!!! I would ride more but there really isnt any good places around here to ride, everything is a load up and drive 2 hours then drive 2 hours back and then about 1 hour to unload and wash it up = sucs. i wish i could just jump on it and ride up the street or behind the house but there is no where to go. there is one place up the road but its not very big. I really like to run the nitro rc cars there a blast and when you wreck it , it dont hurt. the bikes are oldschool hutch race bikes. i raced bmx in the late 80's it was alot of fun until i started to drive then it was all chicks and stereo!!!!!

2muchquad
12-19-2008, 11:05 AM
i started to drive then it was all chicks and stereo!!!!!

i hear ya'im 36 and i still have 4 18inch subwoofers in my truck,the good thing about that is it takes up all the room in the extended cab so theres no room for the rest of the family,so its not the vehicle we take to dinner..i love my bass:D

rcatvrider
12-19-2008, 11:46 AM
I spot a t-maxx...money pit is an understatement for those.

ti2ibal1
12-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Old school looptails give me wood!

Nice bikes!

buck440
12-19-2008, 01:46 PM
i live in a really small town called st.francisville in southern ill and i just have to ride about 40 seconds to fet to the nearest trail and you can ride all day and never ride them all, after hearing your story i feel pretty lucky :p

white tails
02-16-2009, 07:12 PM
We have a few trails around here, but for good trails you have to go to haspin in Indiana

racerdan24
02-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Holy Crap bro...I havent seen a Hutch Pro Star since i was racin in the mid 80's!...Brings me back to my Redline,Mongoose and Haro days!

2muchquad
02-16-2009, 07:33 PM
wow that is back in the day,my lil'brothers used to ride mongooses back in 87 or so...

racerdan24
02-16-2009, 08:13 PM
wow that is back in the day,my lil'brothers used to ride mongooses back in 87 or so...
LOL...does that show my age???......

racerdan24
02-16-2009, 08:14 PM
LOL...does that show my age???......

buck440
02-17-2009, 06:33 AM
man i remember when i started this thread......im all over my hissy fit now.;)

sc400ex_rider
02-17-2009, 07:36 AM
thx guys.....Ya i REALLY like bikes!!!

smelly$cat
02-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Nice t-maxx! I just got into those again this year. Got a 3.3 for Christmas. Man have things changed since I last had a RC car 20 yrs ago. That 3.3 rips! And yes, it is a money pit! But, pretty cheap to fix.

I sported a baby blue GT performer back in the day with white 5 spoke mags! That thing was a tank.... but, my first "cool" bike. Quite the step up from my huffy... ha!

honda400-4-ever
02-17-2009, 04:42 PM
you should check out the yfz450R its built different the the original yfz450, i just came out this year.......you should check it out on their website

MtnEX
02-19-2009, 08:50 PM
its just one problem after another, dollar after dollar into an outdated quad in my opinion and im just done cause today it ket me down miles away from my house and IT WAS COLD. i'm going to sell it for whatever i can get out of it and put it towards a bran spankin flawless never before rode 450 with the warranty, yah the warranty so if you guys can just tell me your opinion on what the best 450 is to have and why it is the best, oh yah no ktm's way out of my price range here is a picture of it, it not as bad as you think and the local shop said they would buy it so no offers as if anybody would anyway

Well, I tell you... I can sympathize in a way...

I love my 400EX, a great deal, but not so much that I'm blind to it's shortcomings.

First off, it is reliable, but not to the 110% degree that many would have you believe... and if you look at it logically it's not real hard to see why.

It's not really more reliable... it just has less stuff to break, which is both good and bad. It's an air cooled motor, and at near 400cc's I'd really hate to know what kind of temperatures it runs on a hard ride in the summer.

When it comes to rebuilding, it gets real expensive quick, and in today's market you can have something more advanced and more powerful for about the same additional investment.

I also do not think anyone will argue the fact that the level of 450 power can never really be achieved from this old thumper mill in any sort of practical fashion.

But power is not everything.

In any event, one thing has came to mind for you.... if you are reving the crap out of your 400EX... you'll probably be better off on a 450... because in the end, they are designed for that and the 400EX is not.

Anyways, I wish I could be of more help to you in your decision. But honestly, I can't be. I'm trying to make the same decision. I've been at it for weeks and all I have been able to do is narrow my selections to the point where I don't have to use my toes to count them.

I will say though that if you are the type to buy a quad and mod it out... you're really better off trying to find a left over KTM and leave it alone. If you are a modder and want to go up in class, you pretty much have to accept that is the near-end price point anyways.

buck440
02-20-2009, 09:07 AM
man i was pretty mad when i started this thread but as i have now learned it will happen now and then

MtnEX
02-20-2009, 03:30 PM
man i was pretty mad when i started this thread but as i have now learned it will happen now and then

And it comes down to how you ride versus what you are riding versus how you take care of it.

Some people will ride in a fashion that pushes the EX to the edge and keeps it broken all the time.

I you're doing that, you probably need a bike with an engine that can take more revs and a suspension that can soak up more.