PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Good @ Polishing?

Brauap
12-13-2008, 07:33 PM
I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips or anything like that.. I am going to attempt to polish up my engine (400EX) and other bits and peices.. One huge problem I have come across is the cooling fins, how are you able to polish up in there? Here is a picture of one..

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa283/braaup/205365510_o.jpg

Also, what do you guys think of those like polishing balls? I saw a vid on YouTube and it looks to be real cool! What do you guys think?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2MVcqVAAHUQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2MVcqVAAHUQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What tools should I also use? I have dremel tools and that.. but I don't know what 'tips' to use.. (the tools to change.. the pads.. brushes.. ect)

As you can see, I need all the help I can get!

All help is appreciated very much!!

Thanks! :)

pro-rider46
12-13-2008, 08:52 PM
those polishing balls keep up on already polished parts. You have a dremel so invest in a aluminum polishing kit from arbor freight. And go to walmart, lowes, or auto body store, and pick up like 6 full sheets of the following sandpaper: 150,320,600,1000,2000 if your picky. And mainly sanding is what makes it look good. Sand in straight lines and the more sanding you do the better it will turn out. Spend a lot of time with 150 on rought cast parts. and 320 with semi smooth parts like cases. Then work your way to the next highest grit and sand until all of the previous grit scratches are removed. Once you finish with 1000 or 2000 grit hook up your dremel with polishing kit and use the compounds in the order of the directions. and you should get a nicely polished product. And for the fins, sand as much by hand then use the dremel for the rest. Keep in mind polishing is EXTREMELY time consuming and if you decide to do the whole engine be prepared to throw 25 + hours into it. and if you give up have way through, it will look like crap, unless you start with covers, and cases, and finish one. and work on one part until it is done, then move on to a next part. That way if you decide not to do it, you want have one side cast, and the other polished.

Here is my engine, all done buy hand, and mothers. no dremel.

JJs450r
12-13-2008, 08:57 PM
i see you use mothers haha same here, ya i picked up a kit from harbor frieght for like 15 bucks, we use a special 3000 grit pad that was awsome with the final stages of polishing. i used airplane stripper to take of the coating on the clutch cover

Brauap
12-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks dude!

Yea this is my list for tomarrow so far:

Paint Stripper
150, 320, 600, 1000 grit sheets (6)
Dremel polishing kit(s)
polish sticks, paste, ect..
possibly a ball to help..

umm, I didn't really understand about the fins though.. :ermm: Whats the best way to get them done.. because it'd look 'funky' with everything all polished and the inner fins are just dull.. atleast I think it'd look werid..

**Nice engine!** (you should have polished the valve cover tho.. haha)

ProspectorJim
12-13-2008, 09:15 PM
how much did the polishing kit from harbor freight cost?

pro-rider46
12-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
Thanks dude!

Yea this is my list for tomarrow so far:

Paint Stripper
150, 320, 600, 1000 grit sheets (6)
Dremel polishing kit(s)
polish sticks, paste, ect..
possibly a ball to help..

umm, I didn't really understand about the fins though.. :ermm: Whats the best way to get them done.. because it'd look 'funky' with everything all polished and the inner fins are just dull.. atleast I think it'd look werid..

**Nice engine!** (you should have polished the valve cover tho.. haha)

Thanks, you might be able to get some of the fins by hand, but they make all kinds of dremel accesories to get in there. and the ball will not help. just keep it from dulling after time. use it time from time. or after every wash to make stuff looking good.

my motor got some pc tho. the pic has oil on the polishing so it doesnt look as shiny.

JJs450r
12-13-2008, 10:00 PM
my kit was like 15 buck they also had a 25 dollar kit as well, but ya theres all kinds of little adapter you can use to get in the fins