PDA

View Full Version : A little help

rippin66
12-13-2008, 07:28 PM
new to the site but not the quads.( mostly 2 strokes but got this 04 400ex and am psyched

I am going with a 416 11-1 piston ,port job,full c sparks shorty exhaust and stage 1 or 2 cam (undecided). I do mostly trails with som pit riding .
i am in the middle of pulling the head and piston i have the bike at top dead center and am ready to loosen up and pull the cam
anyway 1st and most important ?
1.do i just pull the cam chain tensioner out even without"the tool"

2.What the hell do i do with the cam chain
I really don't want to mess with the timing any helpful hints on dissasembling would be great and an opinion on wich cam 1 or 2
i have done reserch and have a manuel but this part on the cam and tensioner is vague.

BlasterEaten250
12-13-2008, 07:44 PM
You don't need the tool, just take the two 8 mm bolts off the tensioner and pull it off. then take off the two allen heads on the cam sprocket and pull the cam out and sprocket off the chain. Use a bungee cord to hold the chain up so it doesnt fall in the bottom end. Make sure you take out the spring and plunger thing (should talk about that in the manual). Let me know if any of that sounds consfusing:p

BlasterEaten250
12-13-2008, 07:47 PM
oh and when you put the tensioner back on, you can use a very small flathead instead of making a key or whatever.

RaceinCircles
12-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Bungie cord, zip tie, whatever... Just MAKE SURE it does not fall down and also you don't really want to rotate it all that much. Also make sure you know which way the cam goes back in :)