PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Goggles

elasesino
12-13-2008, 03:40 PM
This may seem like a dumb question, but what's the best way to clean goggles? I have a pair of nice Scotts, and I don't want to scratch them up. If you rinse them under the sink, will it mess up the foam?

sprayedgt
12-13-2008, 05:28 PM
You should take the lenses out first. Soap won't hurt the foam. You need to wash the foam once in a while or it's going to get nasty from sweat :blah: . Soap and water won't hurt anything.

Code
12-13-2008, 05:30 PM
I usually take the lens out of the goggles... rinse well under cold water to get the dust/dirt off... put a little dishsoap on my finger and clean both sides of the lens... rinse well... gently dry with non-abrasive camera lens cloth.

NacsMXer
12-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Perfectly fine to rinse them under the sink, that's the ideal way to do it.

When I clean mine, I hold them under running water to get most of the larger mud/dirt chunks off, then squeeze some regular dish soap onto both sides of the lens and the foam. I then use my wet fingers to gently wipe the soap around the lens as well as the foam (this pretty much eliminates scratching while cleaning). Rinse the lens and get the excess soap out of the foam by gently pushing on the foam, rinsing the soap, and repeating until clean. Dry lens with a soft towel and blot the foam to get the excess water out. Let the goggles air dry.

I've been cleaning all my goggles this way for a while and it works great.

12-13-2008, 05:40 PM
for filling in scratches... use toothpaste. If i dont have time i leave the lenses in and rinse both sides under the sink trying not to get the foam wet because that makes things uncomfortable. If I have time I take the lenses out and rinse them then use some soap rubbing it on with my fingers. and any scratches the toothpaste goes on a few times and gets rubbed in.

elasesino
12-13-2008, 08:14 PM
cool. thank ya'll for the tips.

BlaineKaiser450
12-13-2008, 08:34 PM
i just ride with at least one tear off and pull it when i get home then the goggles are like new.

buck440
12-13-2008, 09:54 PM
i love my cheap scotts, i had a pair of spys with a blue mirrored lense and they scratched like crazy but the cheap scotts can take a hell of a lot more punishment

dunatic
12-13-2008, 10:09 PM
perfect time of year to be watching craigslist under "sporting goods". You can pick up some kids "last year" $100+ oakleys, smiths, etc. for $20....ride em till their done, buy another pair.