PDA

View Full Version : Pappy or any other Camera Guru's

hskers82
12-13-2008, 01:41 PM
I just bought a Nikon D40 digital camera for my wife for christmas.I got a package deal with 2 lenses(AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G and a AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G lens) and a nikon camera bag for $500 plus tax.My question is: Is this a decent all around camera?She does not take pics like Pappy(or any other professional photographer) just family pics.The salesman said it was a great deal for the money,but you know what salespeople will do to make a sale

NacsMXer
12-13-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm no camera guru like Pappy, but I know the D40 is an excellent camera for anyone starting out. Your wife should have no problems taking high quality pics after she masters some basic photography skills. I got a D60 which is very similar, as my first DSLR, and I just love it. I am no professional, so it suits my needs just fine. Takes beautiful pictures and there is so much more to learn about this camera/hobby. Your wife should be very pleased. Oh and that price sounds pretty good for what you got. My kit came with all the same stuff and was a bit over 600 from Costco.

Pappy
12-13-2008, 03:33 PM
My son Cody has the D40x. It doesnt do bad at all. Mofo(Moderator here) has one as well and has posted some cool shots.

Cody now uses my D300's and my youngest son Ryan has taken over the D40x:p

Cody grabbed this shot of Heather Byrd with me in the background shooting her from behind with his D40.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1419/562103416_84de2ca2a7.jpg

Pappy
12-13-2008, 03:45 PM
btw...Cody starts his first photography class in january...should be interesting. I told him to say nothing and not to tell them he already has as much shooting expierence as the teacher..lmao

hskers82
12-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the input.She also gets 18 free classes through the camera store and 25 free pictures developed.I have a feeling she is going to be very happy with this

Brauap
12-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
My son Cody has the D40x. It doesnt do bad at all. Mofo(Moderator here) has one as well and has posted some cool shots.

Cody now uses my D300's and my youngest son Ryan has taken over the D40x:p

Cody grabbed this shot of Heather Byrd with me in the background shooting her from behind with his D40.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1419/562103416_84de2ca2a7.jpg

Wow.. your son is like a pro already haha!

That'd be so fun.. to take a class you already know all about and be better than the teacher.. haha

Pappy
12-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by hskers82
Thanks for the input.She also gets 18 free classes through the camera store and 25 free pictures developed.I have a feeling she is going to be very happy with this

The classes cant hurt...exept your wallet!!! The bad thing with Photography (especially with digital) is that something better and new is popping up every 3 months:p Once she has teh basics down, she will soon be wanting to do more and will out grow the D40 but thats a good thing. Tell here that a Pro can do almost everything needed with that camera, and when she can do that she can get something better!:D (that should buy you about 6 months...lol)

hskers82
12-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks Pappy.Just what I needed to hear.I really am not worried about her needing a new camera anytime soon.I bought her a 35mm in 2001 and she still uses it with no complaints(she is not into having the latest electronic toys,that is my area,HA HA)