PDA

View Full Version : Pappy, recommendation on sandblast media

quad2xtreme
12-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Just for small quad parts like the hubs, engine mounting brackets, etc. Glass, walnut shells, something else? Medium or fine grit?

We have a Harbor Freight near here so I was thinking about asking for a sandblasting cabinet. Connie is bugging me for ideas. The only other thing I can think of is a hydraulic press. I run over to a friend's house when I need to use one. I've only used it for pressing in new balljoints and bearings in shocks...once a year or so. I would probably find more uses for it if I had it.

Pappy
12-13-2008, 12:36 PM
course grit media(80 grit)....no glass bead unless paint is to be used or it is to be left in the blasted condition.

compressor pushing 100-150 lbs constant

cant go wrong with a nice press~!

quad2xtreme
12-13-2008, 02:21 PM
thanks.

12-13-2008, 03:58 PM
I always see them using walnut shells on t.v. Might be something to it. As for the press, it's one of those things you don't use very often, but when you do, you are VERY glad you have it.

Brauap
12-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Hey pappy, quick question.. I had heard of a special machine that using (like) baking soda.. and you can blast, buff, clean, ect with it... have you heard of that?

Pappy
12-13-2008, 04:09 PM
There is quite a few reasons they use soda etc. It really depends on the metal. Older autos being restored can be stripped to bare metal (body, frame etc) with out etching the surface (less damage to metal surface, less work for body man, better paint outcome)

Walnut shells and other forms of soft media are usually used to polish or prep metal for polishing without harming the substrate. They are not normally used to strip parts of finishes unless the base metal is soft (brass, copper, some aluminum). It really depends on what its coated in and what your final outcome will be.

Brauap
12-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
There is quite a few reasons they use soda etc. It really depends on the metal. Older autos being restored can be stripped to bare metal (body, frame etc) with out etching the surface (less damage to metal surface, less work for body man, better paint outcome)

Walnut shells and other forms of soft media are usually used to polish or prep metal for polishing without harming the substrate. They are not normally used to strip parts of finishes unless the base metal is soft (brass, copper, some aluminum). It really depends on what its coated in and what your final outcome will be.

Oh.. you know a whole lot.. tho you are a pro.. arn't you?

Also.. quick side side question (will save me from making a thread..) I know Cody has/had a 400ex and I was wondering is it would be alright to sandblast the stock swing arm? (Alum.) I am going to paint it.. also.. would you beable to polish something after its been sand blasted or no?

quad2xtreme, sorry I am hijacking your thread.. :chinese:

Pappy
12-13-2008, 04:21 PM
The 400ex swingarm can be stripped using a typical sandblast set up.

The problem with the cast aluminum swing arms is that by their being cast aluminum they have surface impressions that will have to be sanded out. Some are worse then others as well and would require a crap load of smoothing before polishing could even begin.

Yes, you can polish after blasting, however you need to use something along the lines of the soda or walnut to basically clean the part. Glass bead at a low pressure (40 psi) may work as well but again, it really depends on the metal.

Im not a pro anything, I just pay attention and learn all I can:p