PDA

View Full Version : best 450 on the market

bigbad400
12-13-2008, 08:54 AM
i have had only a couple quads that i really liked and supprizingly one of them is the yamaha blaster. and the other is the 400ex. but its time for something new.

my question to the guys is what (in your opinion) is the best 450 on the market and why?

remember that looks means nothing to me, what performs the best?

i ride woods trails and some sand dunes, mostly but id like to get into some minimal track riding just for fun.

i need an all around good quad. and i dont want the yfz. that is out of the question. most parts on the yfz are interchangable with the blaster and with more than double the wight i dont trust them not to break, i broke the blaster daily but i still loved to ride it.

what do you got fellas.

12-13-2008, 09:27 AM
sounds like you want a 400.

ProspectorJim
12-13-2008, 09:36 AM
I have a ds450 and its the best quad I've ever ridden, but for what you ride you'll probably want to look into a kfx because of the reverse.

yfzrider310
12-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by bigbad400

i need an all around good quad. and i dont want the yfz. that is out of the question. most parts on the yfz are interchangable with the blaster and with more than double the wight i dont trust them not to break, i broke the blaster daily but i still loved to ride it.

Im pretty sure the yfz is stronger than the blaster...what parts are interchangable? I can case and overshoot 70ft doubles and not have a problem.

bigbad400
12-13-2008, 10:55 AM
dont much care about reverse.

axle, suspention, (granted its better but still interchangable, and not much better.) hubs, breaks,(on the newer blasters only) clutch baskets, and rims and tires of cource but that means nothing.

i baught alot of parts for the blaster that were listed as yfz and banshee parts, it was not at all a durrable quad and im sure if you do 70ft jumps then your not on stock **** anyhow. point is i said what i said i dont want a yfz dont like em, period. yes it is much stronger but the parts arent.

i just wanted to know what 450s are top dog and why you think so. not what you think ill want.

foxhondarider, why do you say it sounds like i want the quad i already have and put money into and am not satisfied with? my sig is not updated by the way, i got a 440 ex now with a yoshi pipe and advanced timing and monster coil and performance cdi with all the same other stuff. nerfs and such.

i cant keep up with a 450 if its got any mods done at all. bone stock i do great. but if it has a pipe or intake its walking right past me.

i want a good 450 i can beast up. what is your recomendations and why?

greenblood01
12-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Dude, you just said they YFZ suspension is interchangeable but not much better than the Blaster?? I want some of what you're smoking.

I've overshot a 70ft. tabletop a number of times and the only suspension mod I have is a (junk) G-Force axle. Stock a-arms, shocks, and swingarm.

I'm sorry, and know you don't want a YFZ (because its too much like the blaster?????) but it is a top contender, and tough to beat.

Johnny Minehan
12-13-2008, 02:04 PM
KTM

SRH
12-13-2008, 02:20 PM
nothing on the yfz is interchangeable with the blaster....i raced 1 for 5 years and had less issues than with my 400ex i had previously. the motors are super reliable even the 04 and 05 which i run, no problems just change the oil

i just wanted to clarify that, your highly uneducated on the yfz

if i wasnt to pick the yfz id pick them in this order

ktm
honda
suzuki
kawi
can am

450rRacer22
12-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Well, if you want a good reliable 450 i would say go with the honda. I would say no to the lt-r just because it is wider than the other 450's and would probly be the worst for woods riding in stock form. To be honest, i dont think your gonna be dissapointed in any 450 you choose. They all have there pro's and cons. My advice to you, read a dirtwheels or any magazine with a shootout between the 450's, and put a little more effort into your grammar. More people will actually want to reply to your topic.

deathman53
12-13-2008, 02:34 PM
I know you are set on getting a 450, but it is 10% bike and 90% rider. You might want to work on your riding, before selling yours and buying another(and losing alot of money). My friend has a 460ex and 426ex, he has no problem keeping up with the 450's. He rides coal roads and pits in central/ north Pa.

907Rider
12-13-2008, 03:03 PM
I've got to say KTM. KTM always makes a good product wether its a dirt bike, quad. 2stroke or 4stroke.

hypersnyper6947
12-13-2008, 04:15 PM
If i was buying a new quad it would be a KTM. Yes they are expensive but if you buy a stock 450 do all the mods to it to make it compete with the KTM stock, you would be around the same price.

12-13-2008, 04:21 PM
KTM is the best hands down if you have the $$$

Then the KFX and YFZ are a close 2nd. Hard to choose

450raider
12-13-2008, 06:38 PM
well ill just save you alot of readin', if your serious that looks are not a priority then just get the KTM,..... ktm is top dog 450, 525 xc...... 450, 505 sx you cant miss theyre good at everything yada yada..... (and no thats not sarcasm, they are good stuff if you got the beans).....

oh then theres me, i got the kfx (so if you get one then well be like a club lol) and all ive ever rode is trails and its the best for me at that, and the only flaw ive found with it is the turning is a little wide.... so if you cant powerslide or just dont find it fun then that could be a problem..... glad i could help

fastredrider44
12-13-2008, 06:39 PM
I would steer clear of the kfx. Not a fan at all. I race a Honda, very tough machine. The YFZ is a great fourwheeler. You should consider it. It's not fair to compare it to a blaster anything. Can-am has serious potential, but has a few kinks. KTMs are awesome. Suzuki's are alright, but not so much for the woods unless you have extra money to spend right away.

BlaineKaiser450
12-13-2008, 06:49 PM
I really like the honda! the yfz is tooooo uncomfortable for me. I am interested in Can Ams though. Ill try and ride Bakers next practice too see if its good

Lehr 110
12-13-2008, 07:53 PM
honda if you want to build it up

suzuki if you dont want to do much to it..its better in stock form compared to the rest

bigbad400
12-14-2008, 07:51 AM
alright yall think im stupid cool. go to blasterforum.com and post the question.

ill guarantee them front and rear shocks bolt up to my blaster, i have a set sitting on the blaster in the garage now. yes i may be uneducated on the yfz somewhat but im not on the blaster. and to the guy that said nothing matches up, dude the rims on most any yami will match up. now whos uneducated. anybody should have known that.

this is not about what you guys think of me or how i feel about a particular quad. grow up a little, sorry i offended all you yami fans. i dont trust my tie rods not to break when they were designed 20 years ago for a smaller quad.

now if you dont want to post to my question fine but dont hate on someone just cause they dont like what you ride.

and whoever said i needed to work on my riding is totaly right i just want a better faster quad to do it on.

my 440 ex was built by daves yami and suzuki shop in cad. mi. and ill tell ya i dont think its done right. but it dont matter to me now. i want something new and faster.

thanks for all the no bs in put.

and by the way this aint school, my grammar and spelling is the last thing im worried about on a quad forum.

yfzrider310
12-14-2008, 08:49 AM
ill guarantee them front and rear shocks bolt up to my blaster, i have a set sitting on the blaster in the garage now dude the rims on most any yami will match up. now whos uneducated.

umm you are

SRH
12-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by yfzrider310
umm you are

lol i 2nd that

btw the yfz tie rods are not the same as the other yamahas there much bigger, the blaster banshee etc all have the same ends so your wrong

front shocks may bolt up but they wont work properly they have diff leverage ratios, valving etc and the rear def isnt interchangeable it has a fork bottom the blaster has an eye and the linkage is essential for the shock to work properly with stock valving so no they are not interchangeable

wheels? serious?
thats like not buying a f 150 because ranger wheels will fit lol

in all honesty for trail riding and all around the yfz is the best bang for the buck along with the honda

i dont expect you to make any good decisions becuase you dont know what your talking about

250x_kyle
12-14-2008, 02:02 PM
alright yall think im stupid cool. go to blasterforum.com and post the question.

ill guarantee them front and rear shocks bolt up to my blaster, i have a set sitting on the blaster in the garage now. yes i may be uneducated on the yfz somewhat but im not on the blaster. and to the guy that said nothing matches up, dude the rims on most any yami will match up. now whos uneducated. anybody should have known that.
yeah and honda kawi, and suzuki wheels will all bolt right up so im not guna by one of them. you evidentaly dont know anything about the yfz. its 10 times better than the blaster. crank failure was in the 04- 05 modles. this can be fixed with the oil mod or 06 and up have a oil squirter in them stock. the yfz can be retarded a tooth on the exhaust cam to give you the yz450f timing. if i was you i wouldnt by a 450 because you cant go judge something you know nothing about. alot of parts on differnt brands interchange. cannondale chassis can accept a 250r front end. but c dale motors faile so i wont buy a honda because parts are interchangeable.

in the end your only going to get a bias opinion. go to a dealer and ride one. i just parted out m yzf hybrid and have a 450r. every machine has its flaws. my buddy raced natonals on a blaster for hetricks then moved up to a yfz there 2 complete different quads and handle way different.

greenblood01
12-14-2008, 07:04 PM
I would have to agree that this member is rather undereducated. I especially like how he says the Blaster was his favorite quad, yet refuses to buy a YFZ because there are some parts that will bolt up on the blaster. 300ex wheels will bolt up on a 450R, and 450R shocks will bolt up on a 400ex, and 400ex will bolt up on a 300ex with a mount kit. Is that keeping you from buying a Honda.

By the way, KTM motors fit in Polaris quads, so if I were you, I would steer clear.

yfzrider310
12-14-2008, 07:35 PM
well suzuki wheels fit on honda so that means there both out of the question. ktm front tires fit on yamaha. So theres those two gone. Kfx shocks can bolt up to kfx 400. So screw them. So I guess every big brand is out of the question. I would say to stay clear from quads all together. Its just to unsafe to take the chance that one peice might bolt up to another quad. You might just want to stick too the computer. Maybe start a runscape because theres no parts swaping there.

Jake250ex
12-14-2008, 07:49 PM
do yourself a favor if you get a Honda, get a 04/05.

12-14-2008, 07:51 PM
So uh basically in laments terms uh... I think I see another case in a rider trying to cover up skill with more power. I'm biased about things but for the 450's theres so many and so many pros and cons. One is good in one area and the other in something else. I love how Honda has an HRC kit because its cheap and you get some good gains out of it using all Honda parts. I dont like the way the YFZ sits, to me its uncomfortable. I wish I could spend time to ride them all to make a final decision on whats best but I cant. I would look at reliability and comfort above power. The 450's arent so different power wise I would just want something that holds up and is comfortable to ride. Thats why I dont like the YFZ therefore I would never buy one.