PDA

View Full Version : DRZ kit / Install

288sunny
12-13-2008, 08:31 AM
After some searching, i figured maybe someone could help out, I would like to add the DRZ gasket and the valve springs, However im not sure if i have the tools and patience to handle it. I do have a manual, but it doesnt seem to be straight forward. Is this really easier than it seems. My other ? is i know the whole kit is about $160, any rough idea what a shop would charge to install it, Id like to do it myself, just not sure if thats a smart move.

I do have some mech skills and have worked on bikes and 3 wheelers most of my life, however the older ones were very easy to work on, and straight forward, these new Z's are no where close.

cataway
12-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by 288sunny
After some searching, i figured maybe someone could help out, I would like to add the DRZ gasket and the valve springs, However I'm not sure if i have the tools and patience to handle it. I do have a manual, but it doesn't seem to be straight forward. Is this really easier than it seems. My other ? is i know the whole kit is about $160, any rough idea what a shop would charge to install it, Id like to do it myself, just not sure if thats a smart move.

I do have some mech skills and have worked on bikes and 3 wheelers most of my life, however the older ones were very easy to work on, and straight forward, these new Z's are no where close.

its not that hard of a job to do.
my self i would not even think of pulling the jug off unless
i had a new set of rings for the piston and if your going to put on the valve springs your going to find that getting the keepers back in to be more of a challenge than you may expect, if you have the spechel tools than no biggie,but my self i would as well change out the intake valves for new ones

kellymi
12-13-2008, 06:39 PM
It isn't to bad of a job, you can do it. Just follow the instructions in the book for disassembly and assembly. You can pull the jug and piston off together and not have to worry about new rings then. Just pull the piston down far enough to pull the wrist pin out and then you can pull the jug with the piston still inside the jug. Yes, if you do pull the piston you you should probably get new rings.

Yea the keepers are a pain. I did mine with a C clamp and a piece of tube welded on the end. You might be able to rent a valve spring compressor from a auto parts store.

Just make sure when you put everything back together you lube it up real good. On my first time tearing into the DVX I was able to get it done in a afternoon.

airmobile101
12-13-2008, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't sweat the ring thing. I have had mine apart numerous times and everthing ran good afterwards. If you can avoid not doing that,then great.But, with that being said. I would do a compression check first before you start tearing stuff down. That will give you some type of baseline to work with.
Like mentioned in a prior post,you can rent a compression tool at Autozone or Advanced. I chose the hard route. I just used one of those metal 1/2 drive socket holders and compressed it with a c-clamp, then stuck a tiny retractable magnet in there to get the keepers out.