PDA

View Full Version : any 400ex turbo guys out there?

adawg89
12-12-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm not looking into getting a kit I would like to do a custom made list.

I would like to know what website(s) you guys get your stuff at? I was looking here http://www.paatving.com/Articles/turbo400ex/turbo400ex.asp and he used a evc boost controller is this necessary? Can I just use a manual boost controller? I made one for my turbo eclipse and it was really reliable. Will I be able to still use my carburetor? or will I need to use efi? What mods will I need to do to the engine before adding a turbo?

BamBam730
12-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Here's a web site you may want to look at.
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/products/turbo_kits/honda_ex400.html

adawg89
12-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by BamBam730
Here's a web site you may want to look at.
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/products/turbo_kits/honda_ex400.html

Thanks for the reference/source. Hmm seems for this kit you need a 40mm carb. Hmm mines only 38..... wow no engine mods before putting this kit on?? I would at least have a stage 2 hot cam with low compression piston.

Edit: I assume you're trying to keep me from doing because the price listed there?

12-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Old issue of dirtwheels had the scoop on the Turbo 400ex. It was the story of the issue I was actually reading it last week looking through the old stack. they said you can use the stock carb and just make jetting changes really fatten up the main for when there is boost and get a fuel pump.

adawg89
12-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
Old issue of dirtwheels had the scoop on the Turbo 400ex. It was the story of the issue I was actually reading it last week looking through the old stack. they said you can use the stock carb and just make jetting changes really fatten up the main for when there is boost and get a fuel pump.

By any chance can you scan that article I would like to read it.. Unless people frown upon that.

12-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by adawg89
By any chance can you scan that article I would like to read it.. Unless people frown upon that.

yeah i'll see if i can tomorrow.

adawg89
12-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks man :D

sc400ex_rider
12-15-2008, 11:05 AM
just a warning, there was a guy on here that did it to a 05. it lasted about 3-4 months until it blew up. it was making nearly twice the power and in stock form it just couldnt handle it. he said it would pull wheelies in 5th. this guy was no noob he put turbo's on cars all the time, he had it all worked out with the fuel pump and boost to the carb vent lines and the gas tank breather ect. if you do do it you really need to go through the whole motor and beef it up or just dont go crazy with the boost. i was going to do it but i just couldnt chance it.

adawg89
12-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by sc400ex_rider
just a warning, there was a guy on here that did it to a 05. it lasted about 3-4 months until it blew up. it was making nearly twice the power and in stock form it just couldnt handle it. he said it would pull wheelies in 5th. this guy was no noob he put turbo's on cars all the time, he had it all worked out with the fuel pump and boost to the carb vent lines and the gas tank breather ect. if you do do it you really need to go through the whole motor and beef it up or just dont go crazy with the boost. i was going to do it but i just couldnt chance it.

Ok so he didnt do any upgrades to the internal parts of the engine :huh I plan on giving upgraded internal parts in the engine I may overbore it also with high compression piston along with upgraded cam and upgraded valves and a new crankshaft.

sc400ex_rider
12-15-2008, 12:01 PM
im not sure if he upgraded the motor or not. also you cant run a high comp piston with a turbo if anything most lower it to compensate for the boost pressure. you need to do alot of research on this if you like your quad in one piece or have ALOT of money

scuzz
12-15-2008, 12:07 PM
I imagine it would be like burning the candle at both ends on a 400ex

adawg89
12-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by sc400ex_rider
im not sure if he upgraded the motor or not. also you cant run a high comp piston with a turbo if anything most lower it to compensate for the boost pressure. you need to do alot of research on this if you like your quad in one piece or have ALOT of money

Oops I'll run low compression piston then.