PDA

View Full Version : 2003 400ex stock carb question?

adawg89
12-12-2008, 10:52 AM
I was thinking of putting a turbo on my 400ex and I was at http://www.paatving.com/Articles/turbo400ex/turbo400ex.asp and the guy upgraded to a 39mm carburetor and I looked in my manual and it says the carburetor is 38 throttle bore... Does that mean its 38mm? If so, will 38mm carb be ok for turbo? I was thinking of putting a TD04 turbo on it. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Andy

JDMThoughts
12-12-2008, 12:49 PM
You could use a 38mm carb if you wanted. yes 38 throttle bore is 38mm carb. Not exactly sure why you wanna turbo your 400EX, unless you are doing drags or serious hill climbs it's not worth doing.

adawg89
12-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by JDMThoughts
You could use a 38mm carb if you wanted. yes 38 throttle bore is 38mm carb. Not exactly sure why you wanna turbo your 400EX, unless you are doing drags or serious hill climbs it's not worth doing.

planning to go to little Sahara in Oklahoma next summer and I've seen a lot of hill climbs :) and be a fun a costly project and I have access to a motorcycle shop it's my moms boyfriend shop.

adawg89
12-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by adawg89
planning to go to little Sahara in Oklahoma next summer and I've seen a lot of hill climbs and drags there :) and be a fun a costly project and I have access to a motorcycle shop it's my moms boyfriend shop.

ZSNOW
12-12-2008, 07:52 PM
not trying to be a party pooper. but i wouldn't even bother. more money than its worth, more work then the bikes worth. if u are looking to do hill climbs..i built banshee will be fast enough to make ur head spin. turbos are useless on quads:rolleyes:

JMO;)

adawg89
12-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by ZSNOW
not trying to be a party pooper. but i wouldn't even bother. more money than its worth, more work then the bikes worth. if u are looking to do hill climbs..i built banshee will be fast enough to make ur head spin. turbos are useless on quads:rolleyes:

JMO;)

My moms boyfriend can get stuff cheaper than usual price since he owns a shop and he has connections :D I mean he's gonna help me do the custom piping on it and all the other stuff. Also I have a turbo 1st gen DSM . So only difference I see is it's 3 cylinder less and it's a Honda. I don't think money will be that much of an issue.

I just need help on getting a inter cooler for quad I'm trying to look for a 650 cfm air to air intercooler.

EDIT: I saw a turbo kit for sale down in phoenix or somewhere on craigslist for 400....

JDMThoughts
12-13-2008, 01:44 AM
You don't buy intercoolers based on turbo cfm rates. The intercooler size is more dependent on power output. My playing with 4 cyl turbo cars for fun, as well as being into the honda scene has an inkling of knowledge when it comes to that stuff. Your gonna have a helluva time trying to gear that thing. Mounting the turbo, and fabricating a good exhaust manifold for this along with intercooler plumbing is the easiest aspect of the whole thing. Your gonna run into huge problems when it comes down to your choice of fuel management. I wish you the best of luck in that regard.

ZSNOW
12-13-2008, 07:11 AM
banshee...

adawg89
12-13-2008, 07:44 AM
You don't buy intercoolers based on turbo cfm rates. The intercooler size is more dependent on power output. My playing with 4 cyl turbo cars for fun, as well as being into the honda scene has an inkling of knowledge when it comes to that stuff. Your gonna have a helluva time trying to gear that thing. Mounting the turbo, and fabricating a good exhaust manifold for this along with intercooler plumbing is the easiest aspect of the whole thing. Your gonna run into huge problems when it comes down to your choice of fuel management. I wish you the best of luck in that regard.

I checked out http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/products/turbo_kits/honda_ex400.html and I was looking at there piping as a reference. I was also googling some pictures as references see what I'm gonna be making. This guy build the turbo under his seat on his 400ex http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJdEm5F_Dgg it seems that there is a disconnection location near the back in the right side he may have taken off and made custom piping and put the turbo to that and had a custom exhaust or a shorter exhaust from different quad. Like I said I'm just looking around for ideas/references.

JDMThoughts
12-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Making a turbo manifold, and producing piping for the intercooler is not your problem, your gonna run into a problem when you get to fuel management. Your never gonna get good gearing for that bike, your gonna need a massively long swinger to go anywhere with that thing. I for some reason think your only thought is power, because you the most difficult aspects of this build your not thinking about.

adawg89
12-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Making a turbo manifold, and producing piping for the intercooler is not your problem, your gonna run into a problem when you get to fuel management. Your never gonna get good gearing for that bike, your gonna need a massively long swinger to go anywhere with that thing. I for some reason think your only thought is power, because you the most difficult aspects of this build your not thinking about.

I know about turbo's :p I have a turbo dsm I have messed with turbo's I know about it I have may have a little fuel management problem with my 4 wheeler but I will solve it and do you mean the air fuel ratio? Man you assume I never messed turbo's and fuel managements. :o

tater_kamik
12-13-2008, 08:30 PM
my problem with that turbo is spooling it up. seems like it will have one heck of a horrible lag problem. of course you are adding weight but depending on how you position the components it could be beneficial i suppose. im sure you will learn a lot building it so i can see it as a good experience

adawg89
12-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by tater_kamik
my problem with that turbo is spooling it up. seems like it will have one heck of a horrible lag problem. of course you are adding weight but depending on how you position the components it could be beneficial i suppose. im sure you will learn a lot building it so i can see it as a good experience

The guy in the video I posted has aTD04 and seems he doesn't have that much lag I could go with a IHI RHB3

http://www.blouchturbo.com/images/products/lg/image008_lg.jpg

Probably no turbo lag at all or get a T25 turbo.

JDMThoughts
12-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by adawg89
I know about turbo's :p I have a turbo dsm I have messed with turbo's I know about it I have may have a little fuel management problem with my 4 wheeler but I will solve it and do you mean the air fuel ratio? Man you assume I never messed turbo's and fuel managements. :o
Trust me I have plenty of turbo experience, from owning several turbo cars to working on several turbo platforms... DSMs, EVOs, STi's, SRT4s.. Hondas.... I'm plenty familiar and that's why I am telling you to work on the hard stuff, fabrication your manifold, dumptube, and intercooler combination is easy. Finding a solid way to fuel your bike is another, along with setting the bike up so it has traction. I'm not questioning your knowledge of turbos, I am questioning your thoughts of getting this thing to run properly. There is a reason tons of other people don't turbo their quads.... because if it was that simple everyone would do it. I like the fact that you wanna challenge yourself and you might come up with something that might help others, but good luck with the aforementioned issues.

adawg89
12-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Trust me I have plenty of turbo experience, from owning several turbo cars to working on several turbo platforms... DSMs, EVOs, STi's, SRT4s.. Hondas.... I'm plenty familiar and that's why I am telling you to work on the hard stuff, fabrication your manifold, dumptube, and intercooler combination is easy. Finding a solid way to fuel your bike is another, along with setting the bike up so it has traction. I'm not questioning your knowledge of turbos, I am questioning your thoughts of getting this thing to run properly. There is a reason tons of other people don't turbo their quads.... because if it was that simple everyone would do it. I like the fact that you wanna challenge yourself and you might come up with something that might help others, but good luck with the aforementioned issues.

Thanks man for the support :) The traction part well I'm a big guy so traction won't be that much of an issue. I am not gonna be the only one working on this my mom's boyfriend is gonna help me. I could upgrade fuel pump and pressure regulator to be compatible with turbo.. I may go with IHI RHB3 or T25 still deciding on these two.

Which 450?
12-20-2008, 09:25 AM
why is everyone trying to talk him out of it? god forbid he will have something more badass then you

adawg89
12-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Which 450?
why is everyone trying to talk him out of it? god forbid he will have something more badass then you

I don't know why there trying to but won't work. Thanks for the reply :D

sc400ex_rider
12-25-2008, 12:35 PM
a guy did it to an 05 and it blew up in 2 months. he wasnt no noob he did cars all the time to.

2muchquad
12-25-2008, 01:00 PM
yeah good luck with that one...:)

odog
12-26-2008, 10:34 AM
good luck with the turbo i hope it works build it and update us everyone has built banshee s but only a few has turbo ex s so be different and be fast and let us know

adawg89
12-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by odog
good luck with the turbo i hope it works build it and update us everyone has built banshee s but only a few has turbo ex s so be different and be fast and let us know

Thanks! will do!