PDA

View Full Version : Need some handlebar and throttle advice

airmobile101
12-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Ok, Im in the middle of doing the suspension on my sons bike . I would like a to replace the handle bars that are currently on there.The bars are made by Renthal that I put on there from my DVX400. Just curiuos what everyone elses son's or daughters use. Im still pretty much new to this mini scene. I posted a pic of the bars.

Now, the throttle is a big issue. It kinda reminds me of a YFZ 450 throttle assy. I wish I could just get rid of it,but the problem is its part of the front brake handle assy(its all one piece). Im trying to figure out if anyone has this problem and corrected it by swapping parts. I would like to keep the front brakes(drums) with out doing the 300ex DISC MOD.

Any advice would be awesome.

airmobile101
12-12-2008, 09:26 AM
I failed to mention that throttle sux for little hands. Didnt know if there was a throttle or trick where I can get it closer to the handle bar grip some my son has such a hard time with that throttle. Heres a pic of the bars.

BradLoomis
12-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Is the throttle lever too far away, or too stiff?

If too far away, get a thumb lever extender
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/images/orprod/400/i/inn_07_tap.jpg

If the throttle is too stiff, you might look at cutting a couple coils off of the carb return spring to soften it. Another popular swap, is switching to a Honda assembly because it has a better throw ratio.

airmobile101
12-12-2008, 11:45 AM
The throttle isnt stiff according to him. The problem is that the damn throttle points out directly at him practically while he sits on the bike. The pic doesn't really do a good job showing it. If you notice,I have it all taped up to bring it a few mm's closer. Does that throttle extender bend by chance? If I could figure out a way to have the throttle applied(forward alittle) without it giving it gas,then the issue would be resolved.maybe a setscrew for the throttle to adjust it?

BradLoomis
12-12-2008, 04:59 PM
I would take the top of the throttle off and make sure that the cable arm is seated properly on the thumb lever shaft. I have also seen some cable arms that have a star machined in the them instead of a square. That makes it possible for a diffrent position. If the thumb lever is plastic, you could heat it with a heat gun and mold it back a bit and then let it cool.

jetta75
12-13-2008, 10:45 AM
That looks just like the set up on the Outlaw. I can't remember if I asked about changing the position of the lever to arm at the last oxc like Brad is saying. If that dosen't work you can get one off another quad that uses the 2 cable front drums. The Outlaws is alot flatter and I think is like $45 new. Also looks like you could cut the throttle portion off, shape it up, and powder coat it so it is just a bake perch. You could rotate the throttle assembly to put the flatter lever farther back/closer to him while keeping the brake lever within reach. No haven't had time to get by the metal store yet.

airmobile101
12-13-2008, 06:10 PM
I bought a Moose throttle extender,but Im gonna try something when I get a chance. Brad gave me an idea ;)