PDA

View Full Version : Hi new here and just bought a new ATV

sporty700
12-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Hello forum, just wanted to say hi and all that good stuff

Just bought an 05 Polaris Sportsman 700 carb model. Has 284 miles in it, snow plow, winch and all that good stuff.

Any known problems on this machine I should watch for? I have rode a few ATV's over the years, but this is the first one I have ever owned. So any tips on maintence and all that good stuff would be appreciated.

Thanks hope to get to know you all!!

Ryan

JDMThoughts
12-12-2008, 09:57 AM
Buy yourself a manual and keep up with recommended service..... always clean your filter after every ride.... always lube your chance before every ride.

sporty700
12-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the reply. I will start cleaning the air filter every time I ride then and lube everything. I don't believe this one has a chain. It has a belt.

JDMThoughts
12-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Well if you have a belt, just keep a watchful eye on it, and make sure the belt stays in spec. I have heard from others about their belts slipping or breaking. Check your plugs out too from time to time, and as long as your plugs are like cardboard brown you should be in good shape.

sporty700
12-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Again thanks for the reply. I have heard the belt driven ones are a pain in the ***. But I got a good deal on it, so I wasn't too worried about the belt. I think they are fairly inexpensive. I will just keep checking it and keeping it in spec and hopefully it will last a while. My Kawasaki VN2000 is belt drive and that's been good to me so far.

I'm hoping to put some miles on it this weekend!! I did a little playing around with it last night and the night I brought it home, pushed some snow around my yard with it, and it has loads of power!!! I think I will be pleased with this machine.

I really wanted the Kawy 750i brute force, but I didn't want to spend 7 grand with a snow plow brand new. Hopefully this one will perform well. I won't be doing any serious riding, mostly pushing snow and riding around the land we own here. Maybe towing a portable fish house for ice fishing and screwing off on the ice :)

400exrider707
12-24-2008, 09:35 AM
No need to clean the filter after every single ride, especially if you ride with the air box lid on. Obviously the more dusty it is, the more you will want to clean your filter. I clean mine every ride because I have no airbox lid on and I ride on dusty MX tracks. When I'm on the ice during the winter, I probably will not clean it all winter... it doesn't get dirty.