PDA

View Full Version : how do you loosen/remove the chain

big jimmy t
12-11-2008, 04:22 PM
trying to install a new front sprocket, got everything off, and realized that i didn't know how to loosen the chain. (this is a fairly new bike for me)

thanks in advance

sprayedgt
12-11-2008, 04:32 PM
On the back of the swing arm you'll see 4 allen head bolts. Lossen them. Go to the sprocket side of the axle and on the inside part (between the swing arm and sprocket) you'll see an adjuster. It has 2 places to put a long handle screw driver in so you can rotate it to loosen or tighten the chain.

Exrider434
12-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Loosen all 4 of the 6mm allen bolts that clamp the swingarm tight on the axle carrier.

Once that's done, stick a punch, or allen wrench, whatever you have that'll fit into the hole, i think there's 3 holes on the left side in the carrier.. Push forward (towards the quad) and that should loosen up the chain.

If its a stock chain then it wont come off unless you have a breaker because there's no master link in it, all you can do is loosen it.

Edit: I guess ya beat me to it Sprayedgt.... oh well lol now he's got twice the instruction:macho

sprayedgt
12-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Ha ha! You can never have too many replies with the correct info.

big jimmy t
12-11-2008, 04:57 PM
i appreciate the prompt responses guys, and extra help doesn't hurt at all. thanks. yeah me and my buddy were working on it around midnght in my backyard under the lights and we were looking for a masterlink hahah... not fun.