PDA

View Full Version : special tools

One_Bad_400
12-11-2008, 12:45 PM
well. my crank bearing went out. and i've desided its time for me to crack into a motor. are there any special tools i need to complete the task of putting a new bearing in?!

Sjorge450R
12-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
well. my crank bearing went out. and i've desided its time for me to crack into a motor. are there any special tools i need to complete the task of putting a new bearing in?!

well like i just posted in your other thread. GO ahead and put a new crank in and replace the crank bearings. Might as well get a piston too.......

um... the only "special" tool you will need is a fly wheel puller. A good tool set will help, but i assume you already have one of those if you have a quad to begin with. Remember, if you need help, there are many people on this forum in this section that could basically walk you through this step by step if need be.

rt20ps
12-11-2008, 12:57 PM
You'll need alot of tools if your gonna try to replace the bearing. Your best bet is to replace the entire crank with a new assembly. You'll only need a flywheel puller and basic hand tools to split your cases. There is a spanner nut that requires a special tool but you can get it off with out the tool.

rt20ps
12-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Sorry to repeat, we both replied at the same time.

One_Bad_400
12-11-2008, 10:14 PM
i figured the fly wheel tool. i'm not sure if we have one. for some reason i feel like we had to buy one a wile ago. but i have all the other tools. pretty much if snap-on makes it, we have it. lol thanks for the help guys. i'll probably be makin plenty of post doing this job.

duke416ex
12-12-2008, 08:38 AM
You also could use the tool that takes the nut off the counterbalancer. Some people use a screwdriver to knock it off, but I prefer to have the right tool. Also, a $40 inner bearing puller from harbor freight will save you a lot of headache. I would replace the tranny bearings while I had the cases split, but that's just me.

One_Bad_400
12-12-2008, 11:27 AM
why would you replace them?

Scro
12-12-2008, 11:39 AM
You might as well since you are going to be in there anyway. They aren't known to go bad, but it would suck to have to split the cases again a couple weeks down the road if they do decide to go.

KEVIN132
12-12-2008, 05:22 PM
i bought the gear holder and special socket and tools from rocky montain.
it made the job a real easy one .

i even have the cam chain tool and it is anothern awesome tool

most important tool is

REPAIR MANUAL!!!!!:macho

One_Bad_400
12-12-2008, 08:00 PM
what is the cam chain tool>?

KEVIN132
12-13-2008, 05:46 AM
its just a little mini screwdriver that stays in place by itself and works perfect. makes it easy if your by yourself