PDA

View Full Version : Foot brake

QuadJunkies
12-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Im looking for a foot brake,anyone have one they would want to sell or know who has one for sale in stock in time for the holidays?
Apparently this is a tough item to find right now but thats what Brandon wanted for Christmas. lol
:p

Please shoot me a PM with info.

XXX -rider
12-11-2008, 12:43 PM
I know apex sells the assembly ,just add your line & caliper to it .....you could ask around the DRR guys if it fits,or of some easy fabbing is in order .....alot cheaper than some of the after market kits I've seen on the mini quad sites that viewed some time ago

bulldogfallon
12-11-2008, 02:43 PM
I might have 1....I'll have to check

QuadJunkies
12-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by XXX -rider
I know apex sells the assembly ,just add your line & caliper to it .....you could ask around the DRR guys if it fits,or of some easy fabbing is in order .....alot cheaper than some of the after market kits I've seen on the mini quad sites that viewed some time ago

IF I had to fab anything , I think Ill just wait until someone has one in stock . I appreciate the idea though! :)
Gary,What does the price generally run on them?Could you PM me some pricing info?
I guess its my fault for waiting the last minute before Christmas to find one, I just wasnt aware they were tough to find this time of year I thought things might be a little slower.

QuadJunkies
03-20-2009, 01:09 PM
We bought a brake from a member here and are just now having the time to assemble the brake and ran into a problem....

It wont build up brake pressure and bleed out the air.
We have tried to use a syringe with a rubber tube to push brake fluid from the bottom up.
Did this until all the air seemed to be out of the system ,but when you try to pump the foot brake,no air is forced out and very very little brake fluid.:confused:

Any ideas?
We had panned to ride tomorrow after a very long winter.

riding4fun
03-20-2009, 01:19 PM
IT took me forever to bleed mine. Not sure if it will make a difference but I sucked it through with the syringe.

It's easier to do with 2 people. While you are sucking it with the syringe the other person closes the nipple so air cant come back in. Then refill. Do that several times and hopefully it will work.

drxracing
03-20-2009, 03:36 PM
03bill has a foot brake for sale dont know if it will work it is in the for sale forum

mfr422
03-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Quadjunkies,
IMO the best way to get all the air out is to back bleed from the caliper. Is the brake piston moving when you push the pedal? If so
step 1 remove caliper from disk
step 2 pump out piston all the way ( it can't come out with the pads installed)
step 3 Take a big c-clamp and force piston back in while watching in reservoir for bubbles.
step 4 repeat as necessary (usually 3-4 times does the trick)

this is the only method that works for me everytime and I have a vacuum bleeder. Air seems to get trapped in the master cylinder and gives you a spongy or no pedal, I just went through this last week on mine, works good. By forcing the piston you move more fluid than is possible through the bleeder screw. This is the fastest method for dirtbikes that works because their passages are so small. Good luck and roost on!! Lonny

riding4fun
03-20-2009, 06:16 PM
MFR,

Well, I am just telling from my experience. You absolutely can get the air out by sucking it through. That's the way I did it and it worked. It may not be the right way but it gave me the desired results.

Darrell

mfr422
03-20-2009, 10:06 PM
riding,

Sorry, did'nt mean to step on your toes, I went back and edited my post I thought you were asking but it was quadjunkies. Give back bleeding a try next time it might make it go quicker.
I learned that trick from my ktm dealer years ago, we had a bike my buddy rebuilt and we replaced the front brake line and couldn't get the spongy out. We tried reg. bleeding, a syringe like you, and that was when I first made my vacuum setup. Nothing worked. My buddy called our local dealer and he gave us the info and walla, five minutes later we had brakes. Talk about feeling silly, spending two days bleeding brakes and the answer was so simple!!:D

QuadJunkies
03-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Thanks Guys!
Darrell,Troy actually done it the way you did with a syringe and no luck, although I have to say that its always worked in the past.
OF course, we were on a time frame now so of course somethings going ot be a PITA.:p lol

mfr422-thanks for this info,we didnt even think about the piston,we will give it a whirl and shoot for a Sunday ride instead. Ill let you know what the outcome was.

BradLoomis
03-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Tina,
I usually just take the banjo bolt out of the top of the rear caliper and fill it up with brake fluid. Now pinch the brke hose opening between your fingers and when you pump the foot brake, the air will squeeze past your fingers. When the fluid gets to your fingers you can squeeze all of the air out of the line before you hook it up. Now quickly attatch the hose to the caliper and bleed the caliper like normal. This is a way that I came across a few years ago, and have done it eversence.

QuadJunkies
03-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Go figure.... Troy starting messing with it at 1am and WALLA-it works!!
He was actually able to get it with the first method mentioned,but this ended up being a good topic anyways for a reference to others that might end up in the same situation.
Now I just hope the weather holds out, its now supposed to rain tomorrow.:(

cobra11
03-21-2009, 08:05 PM
does anyone have pictures of where to mount the resevore ??

QuadJunkies
03-21-2009, 08:54 PM
I remember seeing a pic of hotquads1 having some illustration, but here is a pic of ours.
back by the grab bar and frame is where we put Brandons.

http://www.pbase.com/quadjunkies/image/110312684.jpg

mfr422
03-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Here is where ours is mounted, under the seat
http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr94/mfr422/DRR/DSCN7681-2.jpg

cobra11
03-24-2009, 07:34 PM
thanks to all !!

QuadJunkies
03-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Brandon had a fun day riding.Brake worked great!
Only part that wasnt so fun is now is figuring out why all of a sudden he has a power loss ..
tear it down... put it together.. tear it down... never a dull moment! lol
Thanks again for everyones help!

:scary:
http://www.pbase.com/quadjunkies/image/110516449.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/image/110516453/large.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/image/110516465/original.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/quadjunkies/image/110516467.jpg