PDA

View Full Version : some quick noob questions

CR500rider
12-11-2008, 10:11 AM
my 450r is my first quad and ive had it for about 6 months now. However i have been around dirtbikes all my life, all my friends owned dirtbikes and never even really had friends that owned a quad to be able to ask them this question: what in the heck are nerf bars for? All i know is they look really cool but i cant figure out what purpose they serve. I know its probably something really obvious and I probably look dumb but i dont care lol.

Ok and another question: besides the stickers and i believe the carb is bigger on one of them, what are the differences if any between an 04 and 05 trx450? thanks!

cant400exbeatit
12-11-2008, 10:26 AM
nerf bars serve several purposes, but most importantly they help protect the riders feet, ankles, and legs.....from things such as sticks, stumps, other riders, etc. hope this helped.

400exrider707
12-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by CR500rider
my 450r is my first quad and ive had it for about 6 months now. However i have been around dirtbikes all my life, all my friends owned dirtbikes and never even really had friends that owned a quad to be able to ask them this question: what in the heck are nerf bars for? All i know is they look really cool but i cant figure out what purpose they serve. I know its probably something really obvious and I probably look dumb but i dont care lol.

Ok and another question: besides the stickers and i believe the carb is bigger on one of them, what are the differences if any between an 04 and 05 trx450? thanks!

Nerfs are for protection from other riders so you dont get crushed ankles. I prefer to get heelguards to go with it so your foot doesn't slip off the back and you run yourself over. Good investment.

There were no differences between the 04/05, other than a different manufacturer for the crank bearings on some early 05s, which experienced failure in the first few minutes of run time. The big changes came in 06. 04/05 have the same carbs.

bama06300ex
12-11-2008, 10:56 AM
I like having nerfs when hitting jumps cause if you dont have em and your foot slips, it might go under you and get run over. Dont know if they were designed with that in mind, but it works. They are definantly a good purchase.

Sjorge450R
12-11-2008, 12:09 PM
you can also use nerf bars to quickly turn your quad with the help of trees........

CR500rider
12-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by cant400exbeatit
nerf bars serve several purposes, but most importantly they help protect the riders feet, ankles, and legs.....from things such as sticks, stumps, other riders, etc. hope this helped.
see i knew it was going to be something really obvious lol

Scro
12-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
you can also use nerf bars to quickly turn your quad with the help of trees........

That's the main reason I run them. It helps out a lot in the tight stuff.

shallow518
12-11-2008, 04:13 PM
this is what can happen if you dont have them

BlaineKaiser450
12-11-2008, 06:15 PM
ouch!

bama06300ex
12-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX

I think I get the basic idea... but could you elaborate?

fastredrider44
12-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Shallow518... I'm sorry. That made my stomach turn. I can look at any kind of wound. but I know that hurt since i know how it happened.

scuzz
12-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by shallow518

DAMMIT!

shallow518
12-12-2008, 01:26 PM
first week with the quad, i went riding in a sand/gravel pit. i just had shorts on and slipped off the peg. it ripped my shorts in 2. i actually had to ride home im my underwear, and yeah i felt like a retard. pegs gouged all the way up my leg, and i was picking gravel out of my knee forever. and obviously the skin on the back of leg gor tore off by the tire. some how in the process i also tore my hipflexer, however its spelt. bought nerfs the next week, and ill never ride without them again

scuzz
12-12-2008, 01:29 PM
I don't have nerfs but I ride technical trails where they tend to get in the way. I also aren't jumping all the time.

I have (almost) run over my legs though when doing some stupid stuff.

cmmick
12-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by bama06300ex
I think I get the basic idea... but could you elaborate?

when the nerf hits the tree, it actually moves (slides) your rear to the side. you can cut that corner faster. when it is tight woods, it helps to tap the tree, your not swinging around the tree but kinda sliding through them . . . kinda. XC racers use this feature.

hondaquad
12-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by CR500rider

The only dumb question is one not asked. A buddy of mine was riding his Z-400 without nerf bars or boots, went over a jump and his left foot slid of the peg resulting in the shifter peg stabbing him in the calf and sending him to the hospital for stitches.

TilltheEnd
12-16-2008, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by shallow518

stupid does hurt sometimes..j/k i did the same thing when i ws youner. ill never ride a quad again without nerfs. one of the top 3 investments you can make