PDA

View Full Version : how do i get the spindle off????

ballzdeep38
12-11-2008, 06:41 AM
im trying to remove the a arms to paint them and i cant get the spindle off. i took the nuts off and tried tapping the ball joints out with a rubber hammer, tried heating the spindle with a torch and tapping it out and it wont even budge. has anyone ran into this problem?

86 Quad R
12-11-2008, 07:15 AM
i'd be keerful about heating up the spindles as the transfer of heat to the ball joints cant be good imo.

what i do is to apply plenty of pressure to the joints by pulling up on the arm(using the shock as a stop) while using a BFH to firmly wapp the spindle at the area beside the joint (leave the nuts over the threads). they should pop right out. some like to use a "crows foot"(ball joint seperator but i've never been comfortable with the pressure thats applied to the joints themselves. there's been tales of them containing plastics internally. hope this helps. :cool:

Aceman
12-11-2008, 06:35 PM
I like to back the ball joint nuts off against some washers and a socket in turn putting pressure against the ball joint. Tighten pretty snug, then rap on the spindle next to the ball joint with a ball peen hammer. Then tighten a little more, then rap again until it pops. Repeat as necessary. This method hasn't failed me yet.

Also, since your not using a pickle fork, there's no chance of tearing a boot.

JTRtrx250r
12-12-2008, 11:49 PM
cant remember what the actual name of this nut is other than calling it a "long nut" , but this w/ a bolt has been my ball joint/spindle remover, it costs about $0.50 and has yet to fail me

also dont tear boots

Dave83
12-13-2008, 05:40 AM
Jeremy,those are all-thread couplings.I never thought of using one of those,good idea.

deathman53
12-13-2008, 02:41 PM
you will need a thread coupler of 12mm 1.25 pitch. That is what the lsr and stock 250r threads are. Probably most of the atv's are the same thread.

JTRtrx250r
12-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
you will need a thread coupler of 12mm 1.25 pitch. That is what the lsr and stock 250r threads are. Probably most of the atv's are the same thread. I tried it w/ the same size thread/pitch of the stock balljoint...ended up messing up some of the threads

also used a bolt on both ends...but have always had the best luck w/ just 1 bolt, and I use a peice of aluminum scap as a base/spacer....aluminum is softer and helps "bite" so it dont wanna slip as easy, helps to use the castle nuts so it dont mess up the threads on the balljoint

whatever works for you

deathman53
12-13-2008, 04:58 PM
I never used that method to remove them. I pulled/pushed down up on the a-arm and gave the spindle a good hit(decent sized hammer) right near the hole for it. It popped right out, everytime. I used pickle fork and ripped the boots. A company sell a tool that is like a dual cupped expander. You put the tool between the 2 bolts, get snug fit and then start to tighten up with a wrench on the center adjuster, until both ends pop out. I don't remember where I seen it.

JTRtrx250r
12-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
I never used that method to remove them. I pulled/pushed down up on the a-arm and gave the spindle a good hit(decent sized hammer) right near the hole for it. It popped right out, everytime. I used pickle fork and ripped the boots. A company sell a tool that is like a dual cupped expander. You put the tool between the 2 bolts, get snug fit and then start to tighten up with a wrench on the center adjuster, until both ends pop out. I don't remember where I seen it. ya know... that might be what made me try this set-up as a cheapo alternative haha...sounds familiar, just remember it was an expensive seperator tool

all I know is they can come out w/ enough force to knock somebody out if you got your mug down in there when the stubborn ones finally let go (another reason for the castle nuts to be on at least 1/2 way