PDA

View Full Version : my 400ex WILL NOT STAY RUNNING!!! WTF!?!?

ryder_trig
12-10-2008, 11:46 PM
I've checked other threads and have tried most everything. My 04 400ex is completely stock. I stored it for a year after a Glamis trip. I completely drained the gas and the carb bowl before I stored. Now a year later it barely idles for about 10 seconds then dies. If I can get it to rev I'll hold it at about 4500 rpm (I have a trail tech with a tach) it will hold the rpm's for about 5-10 seconds then spuder, backfire and fall flat on it's face. I completely disassembled the carb and sprayed every port and jet with gumout carb cleaner, and it still stalls out. I checked the plug and it has good spark. The plug is black and suity too (not sure what that means. Any suggestions?

blankenship
12-11-2008, 12:31 AM
change your plug to a new one and clean your air filter and try again change your oil just to be safe oil will have nothing to do with it running but it needs to be done

storms400ex
12-11-2008, 06:19 AM
i'd reclean the carb or even soak it

440challenger
12-11-2008, 06:25 AM
take the pilot jet out and clean it with a bristle from a wire brush. or replace with new if you have one

RaceinCircles
12-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Check your plug and have your battery checked... When my battery died that's what mine did. Have a store check the cold crank amps for you.

Mellow Yellow
12-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Check your fuel valve also. A friend of mine had the exact same symptoms as yours. His fuel valve was clogged.

ryder_trig
12-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks all of you. All good info. I completely disassembled the carb and soaked it in some industrial solvent at work including all the jets. I blew out every fuel port and jet with air. I changed the spark plug just to be safe and it runs great. Thanks again.:D