PDA

View Full Version : 300ex will not go into reverse.

Code
12-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Hey guys,

I bought a 2002 300ex for my wife, and when I try to put it into reverse, the lever will not budge what so ever. I Push the handlebar mounted reverse button, Pull in clutch, Reach right hand down to lower left side of engine and pull up the lever, but it will not engage. I pull on that lever really freakin hard and it will not move. Any ideas?

Thanks

dirtdawg
12-10-2008, 09:37 PM
thre's a chain that attaches to it, so i would see if that's bound up. maybe someone really screwed the reverse on it before you got it. let it warm for a few minutes and see if it does it. how's the clutch on it? if it isn't stalling before you let uot the clutch when in gear, it should be good. i had a blaster that when you shifted into first, before even letting out the clutch, it would stall. changed the clutch and problem solved.

JohnT_98300EX
12-11-2008, 03:30 AM
Does your clutch need adjusting? When mine gets touchy about going into reverse it's time to adjust the clutch a bit.
Or pick up the front of the bike and walk it around. Which is easier than Honda reverse.

Code
12-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the replies. The clutch on it is smooth as butter, and engages beautifully. The people who owned it before me must have really babied it. I expected it to be a little rougher for a 2002. I'll look at the chain tonight to see if it's binding.

Thanks again.

Code
12-12-2008, 01:11 PM
I fixed this last night. There was too much slack in the cable that runs to the right side of the engine and connects to the lever. I tightened up the slack, and viola! reverse.