PDA

View Full Version : 450r carb on 400ex

shrtbuss01
12-10-2008, 08:35 PM
:confused: I installed a 05 450r carb on my 01 400ex. jetting as follows: pilot 52, main jet DJ175 which I believe the conversion to Keihn is 190-192? and fuel screw out 3-3.5, It is still popping back through the intake on idol but as soon as i get out of the pilot and into the mid it goes away. So I was wondering if anyone knows whats wrong or has an Idea? The other thing is the Needle jet has 7 notches on it Is that stock or aftermarket?

leasureryan
12-10-2008, 10:39 PM
should be a 48 pilot...why in gods name would you ever need a 52 pilot? And the air screw should never be that far out

sc400ex_rider
12-11-2008, 06:34 AM
they all spit back/pop through the carb its from the cam overlap. if you have a aftermarket cam they do it even more, this might be what your getting.

leasureryan you need to get a job you dont have to answer every thread. you dont need to talk down to people like your god. you just always come off looking like a shmuck. you just got called out for it but i see you will never change. maybe it time to buy a 450 or something. i see your from ohio so that explains alot. they seem to be like that on other forums also. there stuff is great your stuff is crap, they know everything you are stupid. you dont have to be rude, the sad thing is you dont even realize it
:rolleyes:

bjg696
12-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Sounds like you got an air leak on it too, i did mine and had to find the leak b/c it spit and sputtered. But now it runs great.

shrtbuss01
12-14-2008, 08:49 PM
BJG696, after you found and fixed your air leak did it quit popping back through the intake?

bjg696
12-15-2008, 06:12 AM
yea it did, alot has to do with the jetting too, it took me a few times of changing jets until it was right. Until i got it jetted, it still was spitting and sputtering until i d got that right. But if you get the jetting and air leaks fixed, shouldnt have no problem.

JDMThoughts
12-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Yea air leaks are often the culprit in stuff like this that I have came across. Your jetting could be off too, that's a pretty large pilot your using, maybe try backing it down some. Your screw adjustment seems high too, I was always under the impression that any time you go more than 2.5 turns out you need to up your pilot, and anytime your under .5 a turn you need to go down a size in the pilot jet. Is that wrong information?

shrtbuss01
12-15-2008, 07:47 PM
JDMThoughts: yea I have heard that too and i believe its on jetsrus.com too. I had 1 week to get the carb on and some what runing to go to Busco Beach with the guys and my buddy had a 52 pilot on hand so thats what i used. But this weekend im gona mess with it some more. So i will let yall know how it goes or lack there of. Oh the other question was if any one knows how many e-clip slots the stock needle jet has? the one in the carb has 7 notches!!

12-15-2008, 07:51 PM
is popping through the carb from it being too rich? I noticed it in mine only when its a cold start and i have to apply some gas to keep it running its like a idle then a pup pup pup idle almost like a tiny little fire cracker going off or a choking idk how to really describe it

EDIT: Just did a little research seems lean to pop through the carb. Once it warms its fine and it has all the throttle response in the world lol.

bjg696
12-17-2008, 06:32 AM
To answer your question shrtbuss01, a stock needle has 5 notches. From the factory, the clip is in the middle. I always jet mine to the needle clip in the middle b/c ive heard thats where the best throttle response is. But what is your main jet size?

ti2ibal1
12-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by sc400ex_rider
i see your from ohio so that explains alot. they seem to be like that on other forums also.

Easy, pal. No need to generalize.

shrtbuss01
12-17-2008, 09:26 AM
My main jet is a DJ175 which I think is a keihn 190 or 192. and the needle is on notch 2 or 3 cant remember but when i take it apart this weekend ill see where its at. I know my jetting is part of my problem and i guess i have an intake leak to find also!!!