PDA

View Full Version : Had local shop change tires... Over-inflated them. Are they still ok?

Evader53
12-10-2008, 08:34 PM
I just took in my new tires to a local tire shop and had them change them for me (take the old ones off and install the new ones on the rims).

Tire Specs:
22x11x9 Maxxis all-traks

Well I went to pick the tires up and noticed they were REALLY inflated. So I got home and checked the PSI and it was at 35psi, as much as a car tire.

I looked at the pressure rating on the sides of the tires and it says the max operating pressure is 4 PSI (which isn't a factor here because I did not use them yet), and it says the max tire beading pressure is 25 PSI.

Needless to say I immediately lowered them down to 3 PSI.
I am really afraid they somehow damaged the tires by doing this!?

Any opinions?

BlasterEaten250
12-10-2008, 08:40 PM
They should be fine.

lkrislong
12-10-2008, 09:08 PM
i had to do the same thing with my maxxis mx they wouldnt bead up at 25 psi didnt bead until 35 to 40 its fine the 25 psi is a liability factor if they tell you to air up until it beads and it blows up in your face then they can get sued

BlaineKaiser450
12-10-2008, 09:08 PM
mine were 33 last time i changed them. they are fine

hypersnyper6947
12-14-2008, 02:09 AM
I wonder if thats why mine wont hold air, they leak very very slow. Should i put like 40 psi in there? They are new and my other tires held air so i assume thats the problem.

12-14-2008, 08:52 AM
When my brother got his changed it was 30 something PSI but they have to air them up to seal the bead then you can lower them down. If you kept like that took long i'm sure it would stretch and round them out

d3ktrix
12-16-2008, 03:11 PM
35PSI isn't going to hurt anything.
You almost always need that much to set the bead.
I've only had 1 set of paddles that set at like 20PSI, all my other MX tires needed at least 30-35 PSI before they popped on.

I had to put 50 in a turf tamer once, and that was using soap, bouncing it like a basket ball and all. lol
Even at 50 it wouldn't set, we had to let it sit for like 30min like that and it eventually popped it self on.
I was wishing I had bomb disarming suites while I was doing it :P

When I was a kid one of the guys that worked for my dad put 100PSI in one of the tires on our craftsman garden dumptrailer/cart. It was supposed to take 10 PSI. Few min later it went off like a bomb, threw driveway rocks everywhere.