PDA

View Full Version : Truck opinion

quads14589
12-10-2008, 06:59 PM
well im going to be buying a truck soon once i get outta highschool to commute to collage and for work, and im wondering about what kind of trucks you guys got and how u like them im looking at 2003-up dodges and the newer ford 150's. so im just wondering if you guys know anythign good/bad about them.

thanks

rollie
12-10-2008, 07:19 PM
I have a 2002 chevy 2500HD and i couldn't be happier(unless it was a diesel), its been super reliable and i just love it, haha i could go on and on about it,

12-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Originally I wanted a Tundra but then gas prices went to the $3.00 mark and kept going up all the way to $4.00 and no way could I afford 19-20MPG at best. I opted for a Tacoma and the gas milage isnt a whole lot better 24MPG. Then i said forget a truck i'll buy a car and I was looking for a Civic Hatch. I couldnt find one worth buying for a few months and then a deal came along for a 94 Civic Sedan. It was a family friend and they needed to sell the car quick since the previous owner died and these people had to sell the house and had no where to put the car. $850 later and its mine. Wasnt my 1st choice in a car but with such a good deal I couldnt pass it up. I can turn around and sell it for easily $2000 right now. Thought about it but then i'm carless again. I get 25MPG putting the pedal down everywhere and speeding around seeing how fast I can go on roads. Pretty good for the way its being driven. I lightened up a little and tried to drive normal until I wanted to burnout lol I tried forwards and backwards brake rub and all to get this thing to burnout lol It will only burnout if its on a painted line, wet ground, or around a turn. Around a turn it just keeps going lol I dont expect much out a car with a 1.5L 102HP 98FT LBS. Anyways for commuting I would look for something that gets atleast 20 MPG. Yeah gas prices are pretty cheap right now but you save so much money buying a fuel efficient vehicle.

greenblood01
12-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Come one guys,he asked about 02+ Rams and 04+ F-150s, not Silverado 2500HD's, Tundra's, Taco's, or Civic hatchbacks... Not a post what you have forum.

If I were to get a new truck, I would be looking for the same thing as you, so I am opionated in this category.

As far as my opion goes, I'm a big fan of both the newer Dodge and Ford half tons. Dodge's look good, have a good motor no matter which way you go (4.7, 5.9 on 02 onlys, or the mighty 5.7 Hemi) The Dodges don't tend to get the greatest gas mileage, but make some of the best power, and the quad cabs have tons of room. They have some sweet colors too like the slate grey, light blue, and the ever so popular black. They also offer them with 17 or 20 inch wheels from the factory.

Now for the 04+ F-150's. They seem to be a solid truck also. My grandpa has had an 04 STX reg. cab with a 4.6 and never had a single problem with it. Then he traded it for an 06 XLT Crew cab with the 5.4, and loves it even more. They are one of the best looking half tons available, and sit really nice with a leveling kit and some tires and wheels.

Either way, its tough to go wrong. I would find a good deal on one or the other and go for it.

rollie
12-10-2008, 08:15 PM
lol, sorry i read the part that said.

and im wondering about what kind of trucks you guys got and how u like them

anyway the dodges are nice trucks just watch out for the transmissons.

CaptainCanuck
12-10-2008, 08:46 PM
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Daytona Quad Cab 4X4. I love the truck. With a tuner, you'll be able to pull in 20mpg. I've had it for 5 months now, it hooks up great in the snow when the roads are ****ty, and it's a fun truck to drive during the summer as well. I just got a Flowmaster 44 installed and am loving it...loud and rowdy. I'd definately recommend a Dodge.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk108/Kwiatkowski18/HintonWeekend001.jpg

brian76708
12-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by CaptainCanuck
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Daytona Quad Cab 4X4. I love the truck. With a tuner, you'll be able to pull in 20mpg. I've had it for 5 months now, it hooks up great in the snow when the roads are s***ty, and it's a fun truck to drive during the summer as well. I just got a Flowmaster 44 installed and am loving it...loud and rowdy. I'd definately recommend a Dodge.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk108/Kwiatkowski18/HintonWeekend001.jpg

how do you load your quad in there with the spoiler to you have to take it out each time.

It all depends what your price range is i personally would buy a Chevy if it was gas. if i went diesel i would get a dodge with a cummins in it preferably a 12valve (earlier then the 2003 you stated i caint remember the years they offered it) cummins motors went down hill after that. Diesels get better fuel milage but since as you know diesel is more expensive it evens out.

I personally have a sonoma which gets around 20mpg which isnt that great for a small truck IMO but it does have 150,000 mi. its perfect for what i use it for i have to drive 2 1/2 to go home from college and its not bad but if i had more dough like you seem to i would get full size.

bustedknuckle
12-10-2008, 09:07 PM
I bought a 08 chev crew with duramax,love it , even when the fuel was 4.00 i still was betteroff i use it for a driver and towing to races.im gettin 17.18 around town 20 highway . only have 26,000 miles the mileage wil still climbing . id look for an 06 or 05 duramax, or ford.all my friends are haveing trouble with there dodges.turbos ect.

greenblood01
12-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
how do you load your quad in there with the spoiler to you have to take it out each time.

It all depends what your price range is i personally would buy a Chevy if it was gas. if i went diesel i would get a dodge with a cummins in it preferably a 12valve (earlier then the 2003 you stated i caint remember the years they offered it) cummins motors went down hill after that. Diesels get better fuel milage but since as you know diesel is more expensive it evens out.

I personally have a sonoma which gets around 20mpg which isnt that great for a small truck IMO but it does have 150,000 mi. its perfect for what i use it for i have to drive 2 1/2 to go home from college and its not bad but if i had more dough like you seem to i would get full size.

Dodge dropped the 12 valve Cummins in 98 and went to the 24 valves. What bad things have you heard about them? My dad has had two and never had a single issue.

brian76708
12-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by greenblood01
Dodge dropped the 12 valve Cummins in 98 and went to the 24 valves. What bad things have you heard about them? My dad has had two and never had a single issue.

i just said they started going down hill after that and the 24 valves just are not as reliable with all the added electronics.

UNBROKEN
12-10-2008, 10:46 PM
the 12v are great and there reliable as hell just dont go with a automatic if u plan to tow anything or build power. my buddy with a 12v has the fuel turned up with intake and exhuast and the trans already slips , 24v had issues with the stock lift pump and if not caught in time could damage the IP which is big money and the other problem was with the kdp the 24v can easly hit 20mpg with a tune intake exhaust and keepin the bost low and not having fun, my next truck will be a 24v , here is my old truck 99 f150 2wd nice truck 4.6 v8 12mpg city 14 mixed city / here is the last pic of it the truck fishtailed on a wet highway does 62 mph and took her into the wall and totaled it

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff225/goneyz400f/wrecked.jpg

08mxkfx
12-10-2008, 11:22 PM
I have a 2002.5 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7l with flowmasters, intake, and a chip and it has yet to let me down. Just hit 75000 miles and almost all of that is towing or offroading. All i have done to it maintenance wise is oil change every 3000 miles, water pump once, brake pads twice, tires twice, and other then that is been awesome. Only problem i have now is my drivers door actuator stopped working so that needs to get changed. As for 24v dodge diesels they are alot more reliable then fords or chevys. Only thing is the trannys dont seem to hold up to severe towing or high hp. The truck i get will most likely be a Dodge or those new chevy diesels.

RideRed84
12-11-2008, 06:54 AM
I've got an 06 supercrew with a 3 valve 5.4 and love it. No issue what so ever.
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m75/dkasky84/IMG00002.jpg

CaptainCanuck
12-11-2008, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by brian76708

The spoiler pops off in 1 minute. There is 1 bolt per side and it slides back and pops off.

extremeblastr
12-11-2008, 08:30 AM
post a pic of it without the spoiler i think i might actually have to go lookin for a dodge wit that package if it looks as good as i think it will without it.

400exrider707
12-11-2008, 10:43 AM
I haven't heard of many issues with the Fords, they did have some early ones rot in the bed due to sound deadening material, but it was recalled... they have this weird knocking noise in the motor when they're newer and it gets worse as it gets warm, but now that we've got 70K on ours it stopped. Only other issues I know of that seem common are the rear pumpkin seal leaked on the two 04 F150's that I know of personally and have drove. Covered under warranty and no other issues though!?

The dodges are another story. Dodge transmissions are notoriously terrible, thus their lifetime powertrain warranty now... I was not a fan of the hemi motor that I drove. Seemed WAY underpowered and gets absolutely terrible mileage.

The 5.4 seems slightly quicker than the 5.7, but I'd be curious to see both of them with programming. The 5.7 I drove had trouble spinning the factory 20"s around corners in the rain. They will powerbrake, but to actually roast tires without the brakes is a chore. An older guy I used to shoot archery with had a rumble bee package 1500, nice looking truck, but he too said he couldn't spin the tires. The 04 150's that I both know, wouldn't spin tires either, but that was an electronic issue. The drive by wire was preventing it. I've since been told if you put the autos into 1 on the drive selector they will roast them, but I haven't tried yet.

I cant say much else about the dodges, but the two fords we had seemed to hold up very well and proved to be very reliable. One has a roush intake with gibson catback and it sounds great (the intake is the big noise maker actually), the other truck has 33x12.5x17s on 17x10 wheels with a Borla catback. That truck did have to have the steering box replaced once, probably because of the tires and the way my buddy drives it, but I haven't heard of it being common.

Either way I dont think you'll have too many problems no matter what you choose. I myself would choose the Ford for the looks, the better fuel mileage, and it seemed snappier to me.

I like to think of myself as NOT brand biased as well, just calling it like I see it.

scuzz
12-11-2008, 01:06 PM
I haven't heard too much bad stuf about any of the newer trucks out there except a buddy who has an f150 lariat. He bought it a little over a year ago and has only had it in his driveway 9.5 months because Ford has been fixing one thing or another on it.

I would buy anything before I would buy a Ford....especially that junk 5.4 triton. Once you have changed the #4 COP ($50) 3 times you'll want to burn it to the ground when it fails the 4th time.

Get a price quote from Ford on getting the plugs changed as well as the man hours they charge to do it.

Junk. Junk. Junk.

(I had an Expedition with the same motor)

quads14589
12-11-2008, 04:13 PM
do you guys know about the mpg on those 5.4's in the fords and the 4.7?

Gray33
12-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by UNBROKEN
the 12v are great and there reliable as hell just dont go with a automatic if u plan to tow anything or build power. my buddy with a 12v has the fuel turned up with intake and exhuast and the trans already slips , 24v had issues with the stock lift pump and if not caught in time could damage the IP which is big money and the other problem was with the kdp the 24v can easly hit 20mpg with a tune intake exhaust and keepin the bost low and not having fun, my next truck will be a 24v , here is my old truck 99 f150 2wd nice truck 4.6 v8 12mpg city 14 mixed city / here is the last pic of it the truck fishtailed on a wet highway does 62 mph and took her into the wall and totaled it

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff225/goneyz400f/wrecked.jpg

How do you get 12? I get 15-16 easily and mine is 4x4.

Go with a 4.6 or 5.2 f150 you wont be disapointed,But dont go with the flare side. I have a 1998 F150 and my friends have a 88 and 79 f150 and we all love ours except me because i dont lik flare side ha.

but Go with ford you wont be dissapointed

"I would rather be strokin then cummin"

CaptainCanuck
12-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
post a pic of it without the spoiler i think i might actually have to go lookin for a dodge wit that package if it looks as good as i think it will without it.
Look for the Sport package. It comes with the same body kit but it won't come with the SRT 10 hood. It'll just come with a hood scoop. I don't have a pic without my spoiler because I alway have had it on because when I do take the spoiler off, its pretty ugly along the side of the truck where the spoiler has sat. I'd need a tonneau cover if I ever took it off.

Eviltanker
12-11-2008, 05:26 PM
I have an 05' 2500 QC 4x4 with the 3rd Gen CTD and I get 23mpg on the highway, I get 18-19 mpg pulling my 8500# toy hauler. I have 23000 miles on it and no problems. The only real problem with the 3rd gen is injectors crack when you put too much fuel pressure to them. as for a 12V being better I would argue that. All Dodge auto trannies are crap, My first Dodge was an auto. My 05' has the G56 6 speed manual. I have around 400-425 Horses and no problems. Don't be scared about electronic controlled diesel, It works great. I would look for a 3rd Gen if your going Dodge diesel. 2nd gens get better fuel millage stock but, the 3rds can get good millage with a programmer.

yfzrider310
12-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Gray33
"I would rather be strokin then cummin"

Im pretty sure that would make you homosexual.:ermm:

Anyways go with the 5.4 its been reliable and my dads dads had zero issues with the 04. Let me tell ya though when I take that f-150 out for a spin those tires light up like nothing. It handles great and pulls great. My dads raced 5.7 chevys and it just destroys them. Not sure about dodge. This 5.4 is fun to drive. Better than my geo.

Eviltanker
12-11-2008, 06:30 PM
"I would rather be strokin then cummin" [/B]

Wow I Hope you realize what you did here. I didn't catch that at first, but WOW dude think before you do that stuff.
Anyway it comes down to you should go out and drive the trucks you like and do some more research on the models you decide on then go from there. I did it that way and decided on a Dodge. And yes before anybody says anything I have owned other brands from Chevy to Nissan, I can find something nice about all of them. It comes down to preference.

400exrider707
12-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
I haven't heard too much bad stuf about any of the newer trucks out there except a buddy who has an f150 lariat. He bought it a little over a year ago and has only had it in his driveway 9.5 months because Ford has been fixing one thing or another on it.

I would buy anything before I would buy a Ford....especially that junk 5.4 triton. Once you have changed the #4 COP ($50) 3 times you'll want to burn it to the ground when it fails the 4th time.

Get a price quote from Ford on getting the plugs changed as well as the man hours they charge to do it.

Junk. Junk. Junk.

(I had an Expedition with the same motor)

How often do you need to change the plugs on them anyways? Are you kidding me? I know some four cylinder cars that need to have the motor mounts removed and the whole motor shifted forward to change plugs. Most modern cars will never need the plugs changed in their life anyways.

Sounds like you got a lemon. I haven't heard of any issues with the 3v or the 2v triton. There are more F150's on the road than any other pickup...

What year was your expedition? What year was the F150? I dont even have that many problems with my 6.0 diesel and its notoriously unreliable.

quads14589 - My dad can get up to 20mpg in his fx4 extended cab 04 F150, at cruising speed. He did this on two separate occasions going on long road trips. I can never get that in the truck cause I'm always on the gas. It's about 15-16 mixed driving. The 4.7? Like the dodge motor? There isn't a 4.7 ford, its a 4.6, and I dont think the mileage is any better.

The rumble bee my dads buddy had also got 20 on the same road trip with my dads truck. Like I said, I could never get that mileage with either vehicle. All in the driving habits.

UNBROKEN
12-11-2008, 09:25 PM
idk man i drive city so 12 seemed bad for that truck ik it even had it 60k servie done no dought tho if anyone is going to buy a f150 get the 5.4 main diffrence is the long stroke on the 5.4 gives it much more torque than the 4.6 and they get the same milege

dirtbike&quad
12-11-2008, 09:33 PM
get a dodge with MDS and you'll never look back

xrxmxcx
12-12-2008, 10:00 AM
go big

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d177/xrxmxcx/6795_1.jpg

:devil:

scuzz
12-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
How often do you need to change the plugs on them anyways? Are you kidding me? I know some four cylinder cars that need to have the motor mounts removed and the whole motor shifted forward to change plugs. Most modern cars will never need the plugs changed in their life anyways.

Sounds like you got a lemon. I haven't heard of any issues with the 3v or the 2v triton. There are more F150's on the road than any other pickup...

What year was your expedition? What year was the F150? I dont even have that many problems with my 6.0 diesel and its notoriously unreliable.

I had a 98 Expedition Eddie Bauer it had 90k miles. I do everything myself and it took nearly four hours. (check the web this is actually about the norm) The dealer charges the same amount of labor time, but they are very proud of their labor force and charge a premium for it.

I still can't get over you saying that "Most modern cars will never need the plugs changed in their life anyways."

Are you kidding?

You obviously haven't been to the Ford forums. The 5.4's have a history if shooting the plugs out under load due to the minimal thread depth that Ford designed into the plugs. (the V-10's did too, GREAT JOB FORD) Take a look here. (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/01/ford_truck_engines.html) "I have a 1999 F-150 and just blew a second spark plug on December 31, 2005 while traveling to Nevada," Paul wrote. "I was shocked to learn that my truck will cost $2,800 per head."

Besides the ****ty thread depth the COP or Coil On Plugs are inboard on the head which coincidentally pool and hold water. The water shorts out the $50 coil pack. Which of course you have to remove the whole engine cover, fuel rail, injectors and use a 7mm on 24 inches of extensions with a swivel at the end to get to it.

Drop the 7mm bolt down the razor chasm of an intake manifold? Better hope you have a lot of time on your hands.

Here's the rig you need to get the plugs out:

http://www.mattstruck.com/sparkplugs/0007.JPG

Here's a pick of the easy-to-get POS COP: (did I mention that they stick to the plugs and the boot pulls apart when you remove them)

http://www.mattstruck.com/sparkplugs/0003.JPG

as far as
Originally posted by 400exrider707
"There are more F150's on the road than any other pickup...

I think that's because some actually make it in for repair....

:D:D:D:D:D:D

So in Summary, don't buy a used 5.4 unless you:

1. Plan on trading before the warranty is up.

2. Like working on things.

3. Are masochistic.

4. Have a chubby when you see a blue oval.

5. Lots of time, money and another vehicle. (must have all three; not two out of three)

fastredrider44
12-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Who said quad cab dodges have tons of room in the back? I think different. Anyway, I'm a diehard chevy man, so not a lot of help. But if your going gas burner and chevy isn't an option, I'd probably go with the Ford. Diesel, Chevy not bein an option, Id go with Dodge. Cummins are awesome, especially a built up 12v.

hypersnyper6947
12-13-2008, 04:28 PM
The 2009 f-150s look great and get 20mpg. Anyone with a full size truck and a gas engine can tell you that is pretty amazing. I dont care what anyone says full size truck with V8 = 14-15mpg at best. I have had several and hand calculated my mpg on all of them trust me. So have my friends with Dodges, Titans, Chevy it doesnt matter 13 mpg average for all of those. Get the 09' F-150.

CaptainCanuck
12-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
The 2009 f-150s look great and get 20mpg. Anyone with a full size truck and a gas engine can tell you that is pretty amazing. I dont care what anyone says full size truck with V8 = 14-15mpg at best. I have had several and hand calculated my mpg on all of them trust me. So have my friends with Dodges, Titans, Chevy it doesnt matter 13 mpg average for all of those. Get the 09' F-150.
Sorry to bust your balls, but my 05 Dodge 5.7 stock gets 16-17 mpg. I wouldn't trust you at all.

hypersnyper6947
12-13-2008, 10:52 PM
I call bull ^^^^ do you drive like a old women

If you live in the city and have stop and go traffic the mpgs suck. If you live where you take country roads everywhere and all you do is get up to 55mph and then stay at that speed untill you get to you destination then i can see how thats possible. Did you calculate the mpg yourself by hand. I have 2 friends with that same truck and they def dont get 16-17

Kickstarts-suck
12-14-2008, 12:57 AM
My dad has an 07 F150 5.4 that Ive been driving and I love it. 20mpg on highway and haven't had 1 problem with it.

hypersnyper6947
12-14-2008, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
My dad has an 07 F150 5.4 that Ive been driving and I love it. 20mpg on highway and haven't had 1 problem with it.

Do you calculate this by hand?

dirtbike&quad
12-14-2008, 07:41 AM

If you live in the city and have stop and go traffic the mpgs suck. If you live where you take country roads everywhere and all you do is get up to 55mph and then stay at that speed untill you get to you destination then i can see how thats possible. Did you calculate the mpg yourself by hand. I have 2 friends with that same truck and they def dont get 16-17

the newer dodges have something called MDS and the truck can run on 4 cylinders...although a lot of people have theirs turned off (its sorta restrictive you could say), if you kept it on you would be getting 18+ WITH a 5.7L HEMI

CaptainCanuck
12-14-2008, 10:50 AM

I live in the city and do a lot of country driving as well. City mileage sucks, highway is 16-17. If I wanted to bull**** you and try to impress everyone, I would have gone with 20 mpg. Why would I feel the need to lie? And no, I don't drive like a Grandma. I don't beat the **** out of my truck, but I definately don't baby it.

Calculated by hand as well. Tell your friends to clean their air filters.

hypersnyper6947
12-14-2008, 03:56 PM
I will believe you if your saying HIGHWAY is 16-17, that i can believe. Driving around town i bet your in the 13-14 range. If you say highway 16-17 im with ya on that. I get about 14-15 on the highway if im not speeding in my 6.0 diesel f-250, but its a quad cab 4x4 lifted on 37s not exactly a good mpg vehicle. Around town i get 12-13. It was way better before the lift and 37s.

Back to the main topic, i still say go with the 09' f-150 especially right now ford is doing some great deals b/c the economy sucks, you could prob get employee pricing and zero percent financing, now thats a deal you cant pass up. Your payment that way would be cheaper than buying something used at a much higher interest rate.

greenblood01
12-14-2008, 06:53 PM
I always use the calculator on my phone. Must by why my '98 F150 with a 4.2L V6 only gets 14mpg.

hypersnyper6947
12-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by greenblood01
I always use the calculator on my phone. Must by why my '98 F150 with a 4.2L V6 only gets 14mpg.

No that is actually sounds correct i had one that got even worse it was lifted on 33s but it got in the 12-13 range, with the 4.2.

CaptainCanuck
12-15-2008, 12:54 PM
I will believe you if your saying HIGHWAY is 16-17, that i can believe. Driving around town i bet your in the 13-14 range. If you say highway 16-17 im with ya on that.
I don't even want to calculate city mileage. I think it would depress me. Case closed.

2004400exa
12-15-2008, 03:35 PM
my old man got an 03 1 ton cummins no problems whats so ever with the 24v in it and its even chipped with the triple dog bullydogs power programmer and has 253 thousand miles on orginal trans

UNBROKEN
12-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by 2004400exa
my old man got an 03 1 ton cummins no problems whats so ever with the 24v in it and its even chipped with the triple dog bullydogs power programmer and has 253 thousand miles on orginal trans i have a hard time beliving that even with a old man driving , did he own the truck since new and is it a auto or manual

adawg89
12-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by rollie
I have a 2002 chevy 2500HD and i couldn't be happier(unless it was a diesel), its been super reliable and i just love it, haha i could go on and on about it,

I also have 2002 2500HD and it is awesome and reliable.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/1658/truckby3.jpg

hypersnyper6947
12-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by CaptainCanuck
I don't even want to calculate city mileage. I think it would depress me. Case closed.

Yea i heard that