PDA

View Full Version : My bros 300EX is sick. NEED HELP

Stock98EX
12-16-2002, 08:13 AM
OK, heres the deal. We went to start her up today and nothing, no click no lights nothing. Checked the battery and its good. Still not onfindent about the battery, took one out of another quad that we knew was good and tried it. Same thing. When you hit the stater button the neutral light goes out. Then comes back on in a few seconds. I jumped the stater relay and it cranked over, but never could get it to start. If the relay is bad, will that casue a total power loss to the bike when you hit the start button. If that is not the problem, what is? I have checked the fuse and its good. Help!!!

YZROOSTINYA
12-16-2002, 08:20 AM
is the clutch or reverse sensor disengaged or shorted?

Stock98EX
12-16-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA
is the clutch or reverse sensor disengaged or shorted?

Where are those at?

fuddrucker
12-16-2002, 01:35 PM
I had the same problem about a year ago. Turned out to be the starter on mine. There was one one dead spot on the bushings and when it landed on that spot and stopped, I got the same thing. I either had to push start it (if it was warm) or try to push start it and that would at least get the starter to move off the bad spot. To fix it, I just cleaned the contacts and reinstalled. Has been working great since but I now carry a spare set of new contacts to rebuild it out in the field if I ever need to.

HTH.

phatswinn
12-16-2002, 02:11 PM
try the fuse, and make sure the conections to the battery are good and tight

Stock98EX
12-16-2002, 02:27 PM
Fuses are good and the starter turns when you jump the starter relay. So is it the relay bad? Or is there something else that needs to be checked that I over looked?

phatswinn
12-16-2002, 04:29 PM
well heres an old trick, press the starter button and have someone tap the starter motor with a hammer, if it works while doing that then its the starter coild or what evers in there, if it doesent check the other stuff

thats all i can think of

toby400ex
12-16-2002, 05:39 PM
when mine did that the batter was dead, or it had bad contacts on the battery, i cleaned up the contacts and it worked like a dream.

TRX_Thumper
12-16-2002, 05:50 PM
its more than likely yer selonoid...a new one from honda is 80 bucks...i bought a standard automotive one for 10 bucks and ziptied it on there works great

Stock98EX
12-16-2002, 05:58 PM
Ok, I did a little more trouble shooting. If you jump the starter relay or selinoid it cranks over just fine. But the rest of the bike has no juice. The spark plug isnt getting any fire either. So I changed plugs and still nothing. So I started working my way back the wiring harness. There is no voltage to the coil. There is voltage making it to the CDI when I jump the relay so that is good. But there is another little box and the left side of the bike on teh front frame rail. There is nothing coming through that. What is that part? I have never had a problem like this. There is an electrical gremlin in the system somewhere. I cant figure this out. :confused: :confused:

not2hi
12-17-2002, 06:41 AM
I just had this same problem last week. Extremely cold snow day, bike ran fine the day before, but was dead that day. Went thru almost the entire electrical system thanks to the Clymer manual (best $10 i ever spent!, if you don't have one, GET ONE). Anywho, the battery was ok, lights worked, just wouldn't turn over. There's the starter switch, the ignition switch, clutch lever switch and the reverse sensing switch all need to be checked as well. With ours, i narrowed it down to the clutch switch, went to put it all back together and go order the part, but lo-and-behold, it fired right up. Go figure. could have been a dirty or loose connection.

GOOD LUCK!

flaneledholes
12-17-2002, 06:56 AM
More than likely it is your starter seloniod... Just take a wrench and touchboth of the bolts that are on it... If it turns, then you need new one... For my old 300, it costed me $50!!!!!! And about your neutral light... I had mine go from neutral to reverse, it woudnt affect ne thing, but I couldnt get it to turn over or start or ne thing, what I did was grounded the saftey switch out...

not2hi
12-17-2002, 07:49 AM
on ours, when it was in neutral, the red reverse light would come on only...goofy

JAM-ZOO
05-07-2006, 07:24 PM
i think i have the same problem. my starter relay switch makes a clicking noise when i try to start it up. what could this mean?