PDA

View Full Version : xc racing bike

wvbball27
12-10-2008, 03:50 PM
im sure this has prolly been discussed somewhere before but im kinda new to this forum.

ive been riding for 11 years now and have always road a automatic polaris wich i love but when i started racing this year i stsrated having second thoughts. im looking to get a new bike to race. firm believer in the "xc is 99% racer" so with that being said im a bit on the fence abotu what kind of quad to get? i like the 450s but ive been told numerous times that they are a bit radical, not smooth power bands, and a bit high geared for xc racing. ive been told a 400ex or some sort would be a better idea. with that being said what is everyones thoughts on the matter?

thanks in advance guys

ccdhowell
12-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Of course everyone will give a biased answer. With that said, I bought a new quad earlier this year with the express purpose of XC racing it. I decided I wanted my me quad to be fuel injected so it would run great in any weather. I decided I wanted reverse gear, helps sometimes in the woods. Those two narrow the field down to just three quads and I chose the Yamaha Raptor 700R. Haven't been disapointed yet.

I guess it really is personal preference, but think of things that you want a quad to do and things you don't want and go from there. If you have a brand preference then check it out, but seems to me that most brands and sizes of quad can be made to do well at XC racing.

Good luck.

wvbball27
12-11-2008, 04:39 AM
well id like to find a quad that i will be able to use for a couple of years. also im pretty tall at 14 and id like to find something im comfortable with. reverse doesnt matter that much to me. im used to having to throw my 500+ puond polaris around when im stuck. really rathr would have a 450. i figure you could mess with the gearign a little or add a rekluse and u fix the high geared problem... on the other hand a 400ex is cheaper to find and the aftermarket is a bit cheaper as well...

airmobile101
12-17-2008, 09:27 AM
I assuming your racing a non-sanctioned event since you state your 14 and you ride a 400. You should be racing in the Youth class which limits the CC requirement. But, I would definately get a 400-525cc sport quad if its non-sanctioned.

wvbball27
12-17-2008, 02:16 PM
yea its non sanctioned. but i want to get somethign i can use for a couple years.

WoodsRacer16
12-18-2008, 01:47 PM
07+YFZ 450,400EX OR 400Z AND MAYBE 450R IF YOUR JUST STARTING OUT. I HAVE A YFZ 450 ITS A RACE BIKE AND I LOVE IT. THEY R GREAT BIKES BUT THERE IS ONE THING U MUST KNOW ABOUT ANY 450 U WORK ON IT MORE THEN U RIDE IT...BUT ITS A RACE BIKE AND THATS WHAT ITS FOR. SO I DONT MIND IT. BUT ANY 400 U CANT GO WRONG WITH. I ALSO GOT A KFX 400 NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT. I GO RIDE IT ON THE WEEK DAYS AND RACE IT ON THE WEEKENDS IF MY YFZ IS N THE SHOP. IF I WAS U I WOULD GET A 400. IF U GOT THE MONEY GET A 450.

wvbball27
12-18-2008, 02:35 PM
i currently got a 400cc 2 smoke but its a sport utility and i would like to have somethign a bit more sport oriented and a better aftermarket...