PDA

View Full Version : running my 250r on the ice and at the track in the cold..

ZSNOW
12-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Well i really am looking to try some ice racing this year and then jsut switch out my tires for racing at the indoor track we have here, but both places are reallllyy cold in the winter...

IS this bad for my R motor, will it wear out quicker running in the cold?:confused:

C-LEIGH RACING
12-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Cold weather shouldnt make the engine wear faster, but, you need to use larger carb jets because 2 stroke run leaner in cold weather.
Need to warm it up real good before each run as well. Get plenty of heat into the engine before running it hard or else you'll cold seize it.
Neil

trx310R#24
12-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
Cold weather shouldnt make the engine wear faster, but, you need to use larger carb jets because 2 stroke run leaner in cold weather.
Need to warm it up real good before each run as well. Get plenty of heat into the engine before running it hard or else you'll cold seize it.
Neil

cold seize?

C-LEIGH RACING
12-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by trx310R#24
cold seize?

You mean you dont know :eek: .
Neil

trx310R#24
12-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
You mean you dont know :eek: .
Neil

im just making sure but is this right-
the piston gets hotter then the cylinder an causes friction between them;) :rolleyes:

C-LEIGH RACING
12-11-2008, 07:18 AM
Cold seize comes from running a cold engine to hard.
If you crank up & just blast right off, not allowing everything in the engine to get good & warm before moving, thats when it will happen.
Cold seize is when the piston heats up real quick & the cylinder from being full of coolant will still be cold. The piston expands from heat, but the cylinder stays the same size. Once the piston expands to the point that piston to cylinder bore clearance is taken up you end up with a seizure.

These new water pumper engines, you cant just crank them up & blast right off like you could the ol air cooled engines. Got to get all that coolant heated up & then you can go.
Neil