PDA

View Full Version : 05 carb question

rcatvrider
12-09-2008, 04:49 PM
I heard that you need to do something special to get to the air screw and pilot jet on the 05 and up carbs. Anything I should be prepared to bump into before I tear it apart to rejet? I will be changing both the main and pilot.

sprayedgt
12-09-2008, 05:19 PM
The fuel screw requires a "D" shaped screw head for the '05+ carbs. The pilot and main jet can both be accessed at the same time by dropping the fuel bowl.

rcatvrider
12-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Is it really necessary to adjust the air needle? Is it countersunk or can I cut a groove in it to use a flat-head? I can remove the main and the pilot just by removing the bottom of the carb? Also, do you think I will have to raise the needle a bit? I'm getting a uni filter, timing key, open airbox, and a slip on.

12-09-2008, 07:06 PM
you never know if you have to adjust the needle until you rde it and try it out. Its good to play around with it because if you dont have any other settings how do you know its running to its full potential if you dont try oher things

dariusld
12-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Why did Honda change the needle?

12-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
Why did Honda change the needle?

Emissions, if anything i would blame it on California. That state has so many darn laws and regulations every can or bottle in my garage says "known in the state of california to..." and they have something stupid like cancer, birth defects... rediculous I swear its every can. shampoo bottles probally have it too lol

Mellow Yellow
12-10-2008, 12:15 PM
The stock needle on an 05 is not adjustable. You can buy adjustable needles, or if your'e getting a jet kit, it should come with one. May also come with the D shaped tool for the screw.(Mine did)

rcatvrider
12-10-2008, 02:44 PM
I am aware that the needle jet is not adjustable. I have some small washers i was just going to shim it with.