PDA

View Full Version : Jetting suggestions??

JDMThoughts
12-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Hey guys, I just got my friend back into riding again, and we pulled out his old school 1994 Blaster. He added a pipe and silencer to it along with a uni filter. The air lid is off. I couldn't find concrete jetting specs for it. We flushed the gear oil, added a new plug, changed fuel, we are doing a 40:1 of Amsoil Dominator and premium fuel. The recommended jetting specs from FMF are 260 main 32.5 pilot, stock needle, needle clip in the 3rd positition. Air screw 1.5 turns out. We used a Vito's jet kit. They say use the largest main and work your way down. I am trying to stay close to the manufacturer's recommended specs, so I installed a 290 main, 32.5 pilot, the Vito's needle with the clip in the 3rd position. My question is, is my baseline ok? I also can't seem to get the bike to idle properly, and it's a pain to kick start. I plan on checking the plugs tomorrow. If anyone can shed some light on the situation I would appreciate it.

JDMThoughts
12-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Also of importance is my elevation is about 100 feet above sea level. It is also currently between 30 and 50 degrees.

headache
12-11-2008, 11:30 AM
the 290 main will be too big. You should need a 260 or 270 main. I ran a fmf pipe, advanced timing, .018 headgasket, and pro series reeds and ran a 270 main, stock needle, and the stock pilot 2 1/2 turns out and my quad ran perfect. and i'm at same elevation. i hope this helps. Oh and the 290 main won't hurt anything, but you'll lose a little power up top. do a compression check and make sure ur up around 120 psi. Being hard to start could be because of worn topend. hope this helps.

JDMThoughts
12-11-2008, 12:51 PM
I got the bike to start, it starts rather easily. My buddy had some things wrong with his bike that I wound up having to fix. Like his air filter wasn't mounted and fastened properly so I was suckin in lots of raw air. Fixed that, and I have the bike starting no problem. The idle and low speed throttle is good, and I played with the clip and the bike really liked my move of going up one notch in the carb. The bike refuses to idle though, it either idles stupid high or stalls. I am gonna try using one of my old Banshee main jets that I have and move it down to a 270. My friend bought the Vito's jet kit but the smallest jet that had was a 290 so that's what we used. Overall the bike is light years ahead of where it used to be, my friend is pleased with the progress I made on it so far. I also swapped out the pilot for the vito's like recommended the 32.5 I believe it was.

headache
12-12-2008, 11:05 AM
yeah the vitos pilot and needle are good, just the main is a little big for your setup. Make sure that your not sucking any air around your intake or carb. Have you taken down the road an ran it wide open?

JDMThoughts
12-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Yea at the moment we are waiting for some things to come in for the bike. My buddy has dropped about a grand into it in the last week and we just spent 800 last night in parts, we have an assortment of mains coming.... 260,270,280 so now we have every main we might need for the rest of the bike. He ordered a set of Vforce 3 reeds, Reed Spacer from BlasterZone, TORS removal kit, Douglas 190 wheels with new Kenda Klaws for all 4 corners. Degree key. I think I am forgetting a few things too. I think next week he is gonna order new plastics or we are gonna go forward with the front end suspension upgrades.

The jetting is really good until you get to the main, so we are gonna play with that once those jets come in. As it sits, 32.5 pilot, clip in 2 position... 290 main... 1 1/4 turn out.