PDA

View Full Version : black powder

Bradracer18
12-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Thinking of getting into black powder guns guys. After this year deer hunting, my shotgun wouldn't quite reach out there far enough(and accurately). Anyways...any recommendations?? What do I need to know? My dad has one, so I can get some advice from him too. Think his is a thompson encore 50 cal with a nikon BDC(?) scope.

I also would like some info on scopes. I would like a decent one so I can shoot accurately.

wvspeedfreak
12-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Your dad has a sweet set up with the Encore and Nikon.That combo would be at the top of my list.

mills_racing
12-10-2008, 10:03 AM
the encores are extremely nice, during the muzzle loading season in ky i use a .50 cal CVA Elite which is a nice gun and made like the encore where you can change the barrels but its just cheaper, and a little heavier...what kind of distance are you wanting to shoot? and mayb look into the .45 cal encore for better range.

Bradracer18
12-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Ok well I guess I should look into those then. I was thinking I just wanted to shoot further than my shotgun(and more importantly, accurately). Maybe in the range of 150-250 yards....

You guys have any ideas on any of the other thompson models....I searched their site, but couldn't find what was really different.

I like a synthetic stalk, and also a thumb hold and just seen one today with a somewhat pistol grip(on the stalk)....