PDA

View Full Version : 86 LT250R questions

phatbrat
12-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Hi, New guy here. My name is Boz and I'm in Mt Holly NJ. I recently purchased an 86 LT250R and have quite a few questions for you guys. (This is not my first atv BTW, I've had an 86 quadracer, 2 Tri-Z 250, snowmobile, a dozen dirtbikes and an ATC90 in the past)

Anyway, I was wondering if the jug from an 87 or newer quadracer (The ones with the powervalve) bolts up to my motor. (small upgrade) ?

My quad is bored .80 over and has aftermarket exhaust front to back, I plan on changing the reeds, changing both sprockets to make it quicker, but was wondering how big of a carb I can go? I'm thinking a 38mm is max especially since I would like to put a stage III jet kit in it. Any ideas? Any suggestions for performance upgrades? I was also considering shaving the head down a little. Not sure what's involved with stroking a motor but that's a thought for later on...

Would a quadzilla jug bolt on? (I'm thinking probably not but I would like definate answers, I just don't have any sitting in front of me to compare)

Please if you are not sure then say you are not sure, but if you are 100% sure, let me know. And PLEASE, explain your reasons why something wouldn't work (preferably with proof). Like I said, any suggestions would be helpful, especially brands for the parts. (Such as Boyseen reeds or I think there is one out there called V-force)

And last, If anyone knows of any ATV salvage yards, let me know. I think there was one in Philly but I don't remember the name. Also one in northeast PA.

Sorry for all the questions but I figured I would just get em out of the way so I can start my search. Thanks! Boz

Mikeman1
12-10-2008, 11:42 AM
No-only the 85 and 86 cylinders will work on yours.The 500 will not work either.Try the link below for any parts:

phatbrat
12-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the link. First thing I'm looking for is the 38mm carb. Also, anyone near me to maybe ride with or turn a few wrenches etc..

Also looking for performance upgrade ideas and ATV junkyards (not online but in my area (NJ, eastern PA, Delaware)

Just curious, why won't the jug from a powervalved motor work on my bottom end?

CSR400EX
12-13-2008, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by phatbrat
Just curious, why won't the jug from a powervalved motor work on my bottom end?

because the whole motor is totally different from 86 to 87. very few parts interchange between these years, and i mean the enitre bike.

but i will say from working on a few 86 LT's, porting the cylinder is where you will gain the most power from. port it, get a big carb and it should run pretty good.