PDA

View Full Version : engine problems

One_Bad_400
12-08-2008, 05:33 PM
so i went to the track a few weeks ago. and i rode quite a few laps. then when i was about to quit. it seemed like when i was ridding, when i was giving it gas a reving it up it would rev back down REALLY quickly like it was lugging. so then i happen to look down and my clutch cover bolts had came loose and some tranny oil slipped out. but not all of it. so i get home and tighten it up and now it wont start. i roll started it and it cranked but it still seemed to rev back down fast. just because it wasnt starting i checked everything, its getting spark, getting fuel, and i adjusted the valves. what is going on?!?!?!?!?! ah! i hate these things

HondaRaceReady
12-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Sounds to me like a bearing went bad and the engine just cant hold the momentum to crank as fast as it should when youre not on the throttle. Change the oil and filter and see what it looks like.

One_Bad_400
12-09-2008, 12:17 PM
poo... i changed it and when i changed it it the pan had a bunch of shavings of metal from cutting metal. so i couldnt tell if there was any in there.

WilRideAnything
12-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Look at the oil filter.

rt20ps
12-11-2008, 07:36 AM
Pull the spark plug and the timing plug. Turn the engine over slowly with a wrench on the end of the crank. Check for any binding or "sticky" spots in the rotation.

My first guess would be your lower rod bearing is on its way out.

400exrider707
12-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Sounds like rod bearing to me too, I'm thinking the case cover being loose was probably just a coincidence.

One_Bad_400
12-11-2008, 11:25 AM
timing plug?!?!?!

Sjorge450R
12-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
timing plug?!?!?!

yea you know. The giant 6mm allen head bolt cover next to the clutch cover. Its ont eh right side, its the hole that you use to make sure your timing is good.

One_Bad_400
12-11-2008, 12:39 PM
ya. right after i posted that and was walking down to the shop i was like DUH!

well guys.................... i went down to the shop and pulled the oil filter. there are brass/gold color shavings EVERYWHERE :( :( :( :( my bearings is gone!

Sjorge450R
12-11-2008, 12:53 PM
as bad as it sounds. You should be happy.

Not that your bearings are gone, but the fact that you caught it before it destroyed your motor. Most people loose the piston, crank, cylinder, and crank cases when this happens. You my friend just lost the rod bearing more than likely. Split the cases, change the crank bearings, throw a new crank in there and go riding again.....

S.A.J
12-11-2008, 02:41 PM
YEAH consider yourself blessed,i bought mine with the crank bearing out and ended up needing new crank,right side case,stator,and sum other stuff idk if crank bearing related or not.