PDA

View Full Version : Best aftermarket clutch

la400ex
12-15-2002, 07:48 PM
Well, It looks like im gonna be spending my porting money on a new clutch and front brake pads. I rode around my yard a few times yesterday and my clutch slipped bad a few times. The power im gonna be gettin from my 416 wont do anygood with a bad clutch. I guess I will just have to wait for the porting. I will go ahead and do the valves when i do the porting. Thanks, Ant.

JhallettEX
12-15-2002, 08:09 PM
DO NOT go with Barnett, they are S***. After mine went out I choose the Sparks 8 plate set up and love it. Talk to Colby @ C&D Racing, he carries this clutch and also talk to him about his port and polish job, he will hook you up with a package deal.

Claas900
12-15-2002, 08:45 PM
...Yea go with the Sparks,works great,only thing is its seams to take a "longer pull" on the clutch lever,like if your going to put it in netural..but works great,best one iv had so far,and longest one...Hope this helps..Thanks

fwm416ex
12-15-2002, 09:00 PM
if it is within your budget ,I would go with the full hinson 8 plate conversion kit .inner hub,pressure plate,basket,all hard coat anodized billet aluminum.its a work of art,tough as nails and it works flawless.uses 7 250r steel plates and 8 250r fiber plates with cr500 springs.i absolutely beat the guts out of it and it never heats up or fades even with 22 inch razrsII

airheadedduner
12-16-2002, 12:22 AM
I don't think CR500 springs are that much stronger then stock 400ex springs. I run CR500 springs in my 295R, my buddie ran 400EX springs in his full CT310R. His clutch never slipped the whole 1 1/2 years he had the bike. I went through 2. The CR springs are way harder to pull then the EX springs.

oregonrider89
12-16-2002, 02:03 AM
I'm going with the sparks 8 plate when my stocker goes out. I've only heard good things about it. I have heavy duty clutch springs that came with my stroker kit, they may be something for you to think about.

oregonrider89

fwm416ex
12-16-2002, 09:51 AM
with the full hinson kit and the cr500 springs the stock lever on a 400ex is very easy to pull in, in addition to that i also added a works connection adjust on the fly pro pull billet lever and perch assembly with a sealed ball bearing in the lever. together these products make the clutch almost impervous to wear and tear.the lever pull is so buttery smooth it is hard to believe,at least as smooth as hydro clutch if not more without the cumbersome hardware.In my opinion these are a unbeatable combination.still proper matinence needs to followed-adjust clutch free play (very important)lube all cable and lever pivot points and change the oil often (do not use any oils or assembly lubes that contain any molybdenum dissulfide grease under high load conditions they cause the clutch to slip.Iknow that a lot of service manuals say to use moly on the camshaft bearings and other internal engine parts -DONT- use assembly lube not containing moly in a wet cluch engine.there are numerous quality engine assembly lubes that do not contain moly,chech your local autopart store

OutlawEX
12-16-2002, 10:01 AM
Personally,i like the OEM clutches the best..I have 2 white brother clutches and a hinson baskit sitting my garage...Id get an oem clutch...Also when u rode ur quad was it cold out and were you using a lower oil gage...like 10w30 or somehting lower,if u running something higher ur clutch will slip and act funny

fwm416ex
12-16-2002, 10:18 AM
20/50 in warm weather ,10/40 in cold =zero problems