PDA

View Full Version : how do you use your nerf bars???

shok47
12-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Im pretty new to atv but I remember a long time ago when I wanted one, I knew I wanted nerf bars. But now that I have a quad and am fine with the regular heal guards, whats the main purpose of nerf bars? I know they can save you from getting your leg pulled under the wheel but what else? Do you stand on them? Im still thinking about them. I know I want new heel guards though

I trail ride mostly.

powermadd400ex
12-07-2008, 10:30 PM
safety, and the piece of mind that if you slip the net will catch you, and they look pretty badass to :D

TheNewn
12-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
safety, and the piece of mind that if you slip the net will catch you, and they look pretty badass to :D

What he said.

And if you're a racer, the outer bar on the nerf acts as a protecting bar so other racers tires/wheels cant get in there and screw up your foot/leg or tangle the quads up as bad. if you understand what im saying.

katch26
12-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by shok47
Do you stand on them? Im still thinking about them. I know I want new heel guards though

I trail ride mostly.

you really dont want to stand on the outside because they will bend. Im a trail rider and never got into them (personal preference) but sometimes when the trail get tight you have to see saw it through the trees and I know in those circumstances it would keep you from keep on keeping on.

tyman2395
12-08-2008, 09:06 AM
i stand on mine plus i'm only 80 pounds lol

elmer91
12-08-2008, 02:42 PM
basically what everyone one else is saying, for protection. and i use mine for feet rest when i am on the long and boring gravel roads going from one trail to the next.

cjtrx400ex
12-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Has kept trees from yanking my rear tire and axle off when sliding out of corners in the woods(those trees just grow right in the way). :D and they look badass like "powermadd400ex" said. One problem with nerfs is sometimes the nets get hung up when your riding through trails with lots of sticks or laid down trees(when the loggers come through) that haven't been cleared of in a while or through tall rocks, the sticks are the worst:ermm: ...

katch26
12-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by cjtrx400ex
Has kept trees from yanking my rear tire and axle off when sliding out of corners in the woods(those trees just grow right in the way). :D and they look badass like "powermadd400ex" said. One problem with nerfs is sometimes the nets get hung up when your riding through trails with lots of sticks or laid down trees(when the loggers come through) that haven't been cleared of in a while or through tall rocks, the sticks are the worst:ermm: ...

yeah thats another reason you see the xc guys run netless (and to keep the mud from collecting)

leasureryan
12-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by TheNewn
What he said.

And if you're a racer, the outer bar on the nerf acts as a protecting bar so other racers tires/wheels cant get in there and screw up your foot/leg or tangle the quads up as bad. if you understand what im saying.

MAIN REASON^^^^^

cjtrx400ex
12-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by katch26
yeah thats another reason you see the xc guys run netless (and to keep the mud from collecting)

Speaking of netless. PRM makes some, see the link.

http://prm-atv.com/MN.asp?pg=products&specific=1182&from=47

katch26
12-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by cjtrx400ex
Speaking of netless. PRM makes some, see the link.

http://prm-atv.com/MN.asp?pg=products&specific=1182&from=47

I think those would be better for the sticks but worse with the mud.......

racerdan24
12-08-2008, 04:27 PM
I use mine to try and knock the competition outta the way......RIDE RED OR DON'T RIDE AT ALL !!!!!!!!! LOL...we are usually in front so thats never a problem

shok47
12-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Good to hear. Yes. the trees and sticks are pretty common around here, I always watch out for those and sometimes I get snagged, so thats one problem I've been pondering.

yep, I've seen those netless ones and have considered those over the nets when I first saw them.

I may just stick with heelguards or possible these netless ones.

cjtrx400ex
12-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by shok47
Good to hear. Yes. the trees and sticks are pretty common around here, I always watch out for those and sometimes I get snagged, so thats one problem I've been pondering.

yep, I've seen those netless ones and have considered those over the nets when I first saw them.

I may just stick with heelguards or possible these netless ones.

Yea its usually not that big a deal unless the sticks are real heavy, me personally, i wouldn't ride with out some type of nerf bar wether it has nets or is netless. They have saved my leg several times, that and i've had my foot contact the tire before luckily it didn't go all the way under, never know whats gonna happen.

shok47
12-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Yea, I have had my leg pulled down but the peg stopped it from going any further. Now everytime that I go around that turn the memory always comes back and I always slow down right there.

Im just going to wait for things to popup on BST forum and get it cheap. Ill probabaly end up getting nets.

cjtrx400ex
12-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Yea you could probably get a good price, or you could check ebay or craigslist for some used ones.

outlaw319
12-08-2008, 06:38 PM
years ago I was about the only 1 that ran them in the woods racing it seemed liked. I like em especially in the mud, I could use them as bumpers to bounce and glide around trees in those slippery turns. They're good to have if riding on alot of hills when you get on the off camber you can lean out on them to transfer weight to keep from rolling over, and are good if you get hung up on logs,rocks,ruts,etc. for leverage to pick up the quad.
Disadvantage if your quad has no reverse and you gotta back up in a hurry is a pain in the arse though!