PDA

View Full Version : Sound Systems

LTRracer4
12-07-2008, 09:41 PM
What do you guys got in your vehicles? I think im gunna put a 12" square kicker on the back of my counsil in my truck. Get and amp to suit that, get Kicker door speakers all around with an amp for those, and then an iPod ready Alpine head unit. I might throw some L7's under the rear seats later on. What do you guys think? And is there any clean way to put the speaker face plates on the doors? everyone i've talked to says they are a real pain todo, and they never come out right.

Post up what you guys have, and pictures if you got them.

derekhonda
12-07-2008, 09:51 PM
what kinda truck you got? I got an L5 ready to go for a ram

Kickstarts-suck
12-08-2008, 01:43 AM
I have a
Alpine CDA-9883 headunit
JL Audio speakers (POS!)
Kicker 4ohm cvr 12" sub
Kicker 400.1 amp
Custom ported box

130 amp alternator and 0 gauge wiring going in when my Mega fuse holder and 150 amp fuse come in the mail.

Soon ill be replacing my speakers with Kicker DS600.2 components then 2 2ohm cvr12s with a kicker 750.1 amp.

Sorry no pics
Love all my Kicker stuff.

The square kicker subs are L7s and L5s so when you said you were "going to throw some l7s under the seats later on" I dont know what you meant.

gcart2
12-08-2008, 04:22 AM
for my truck in sig

two cvr 10'"s
dhd 2000 watt 2 channel
dhd 100-1500 watt 4 channel

pioneer head unit w/ gps
kicker door speakers all the way.

Sprks450r04
12-08-2008, 10:33 AM
in my mountaineer i had 3 kicker cvr 10" 4ohm, with a kicker 600.1 amp, all kicker resolution speakers with tweets in all 4 corners, with a 650.4 amp and home audio equalizers and the subs ere in a fiberglass box. pretty much made your ears bleed

ben300
12-08-2008, 01:09 PM
had 2 jl 12w6's, jl audio 1000/1 amp, jbl speakers around, and a second gen pioneer head unit with organic el...loudest system i had vr heard..

had that in my explorer, then got rid of the subs adn am, went down to 2 jl 12w3v2's wiht a ****ty sony amp i picked up cheap..

then i bought a regular cab s10...now i got nothing..

hopefully gonna do something next summer with it

do you kicker guys like your subs adn stuff? i always wanted some cvr's or an set of l5's...i just always got the jl audio stuff realy *** cheap

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-08-2008 09:07 PM

Conner_S
12-08-2008, 01:15 PM
i have 2 kicker 12" L7's in a box that sits in my back seat :/
under the back seat i have two memphis 12"s in a downforce box.
BAMF Power Acoustik 4000w amp..
kenwood exlcelon door speakers all the way around
andd a Kenwood head unit,,
this is by far my favorite system to date...great sound, the L7's are a beast haha

12-08-2008, 01:27 PM
My brother has a 15" Kicker solobaric right behind his seat in his dodge dakota pickup. In my Civic I have a Kenwood 22watt amp Headunit, (2) 6.5" 2 way Polk door speakers, (2) 6x9" 3 way Polk rear deck speakers and (2) 12" Kicker subs in the trunk paired with a Bazooka Amp. Over 1000watts RMS over 2500watts peak.

Wills77
12-08-2008, 03:17 PM
in my 06 reg cab silverado i have
alpine iva-d100 head unit/dvd player with flip up screen
2 kicker cvr12's
kicker zx1000.1 amp
2 6x6 infinity's
2 4x6 alpine type R's

gcart2
12-08-2008, 03:28 PM
brothers old truck (superman truck)
4 18 kicker CVR's
2 1500 watt 2 way kicker amps
1 1250 watt 4 way kicker amp
kicker door speakers
pioneer flip up head unit

hit 155db's
broke windshield twice.

xcracermom
12-08-2008, 04:34 PM
pioneer door speakers.

pioneer premier, amp, 2 10's, and 590 head unit!

XCAdam89
12-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Alpine CDE-9881 Headunit
6" Front Alpine Type R's
6" Rear Alpine Type R's
550w Ample Audio Amp
12" Powerbass Sub in a sealed box

XCRacer236
12-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Alpine CDA-9884 headunit
Hifonics bxi1208d amp
12" Fi SSD subwoofer

in an Explorer. Comps coming soon.

300extreme#8
12-08-2008, 06:09 PM
with it being in ur truck idk if you should go with the L7, most people usually dont realize how systems operate to sound the best, L5s would be ok if you can make the box big enough and then use minimum amp wattage, air space is a big factor. I knew 2 guys from high school with the same truck and one boy had two 10" JL AUDIO W0s, the lowest grade JL subs, and he powered them with a memphis 400 or 600 watt amp(the amp was older). the other went and bought the Audiobahn flameq or maybe the higher grade one, and he also bought the real exspensive 800 watt audiobagh amp, both had there system put in at circuit city, same premiere cd player, only diff was that the first guy payed alittle over 300 dollars, and the second guy paid almost 1600. and the JLs were louder..

the point im making is you must really understand what you buying before you go and try to buy the most expensive brand. I think you should get MTX audio, or JL w3s or w6s, b/c in a truck these two brands are great for being powered by lower wattage and you dont have to build huge boxes for them to sound pure. and they are alittle bit better for the buy.

and before you all try to bash, I have owned, Sony subs, mtx audio subs, memphis subs, KICKER L5s, and JL Audios, and have dealt with many others.. Best ones I have owned are the JLs.. the memphis comes in second. The KIckers pounded harder but, the sound quality wasnt as good imo and you couldnt hear them as well outside of the truck.

The JL 10w3s are the reason I dont have a rearview mirror anymore.:D :D

LTRracer4
12-08-2008, 06:25 PM
thanks for the info guys. My truck is an extended cab 2500. its got a pretty roomie back seat with the butterfly doors. if i put a 12 on the back of my council ill rebuild the whole middle seat and everything, i would be able to fit a pretty damn big box in there. i think it would be able to move enough air.

12-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong but crossovers will make it so you can dedicate speakers or a channel to a certain range like door speakers for strictly highs, rear deck for mids, and of course the subs are stricly bass i'm pretty sure the amp for the subs has a x-over. Just wondering if it would be worth it to dedicate certain speakers to certain levels or have it all fill in and just use the adjustments on the head unit for bass and treble.

ben300
12-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by LTRracer4
thanks for the info guys. My truck is an extended cab 2500. its got a pretty roomie back seat with the butterfly doors. if i put a 12 on the back of my council ill rebuild the whole middle seat and everything, i would be able to fit a pretty damn big box in there. i think it would be able to move enough air.

with any truck, you dont need a super powerful or a real big woofer to get alot of soundout. a truck is a smaller inclosed area and doestn hae something to divide and dampen sound such as the back seat of a car. So your dont neccessarily need somethign such as an l7 or a w6 to have crazy loud bass.

you cant get really loud bass with good sound from a couple of tens or one good twelve placed in the right position wiht he correct powering. alot of extended trucks down fire their subs, this allows the sound waves tim to reverberate of the floor or the back wall of the truck and expand, filling more space, with more volume.

i also agree with 300extreme, you dont need soeth crazy lik an l7. if you get a smaller sub, such as a cvr with 400 watts rms, and an amp that correct power sthat sub within its rms pwer range that, and actuates the cones linear exscurtion, you can have soem pretty hard hitting bass.

also something you have to pay attntn to is how many voice coils your sub has, the subs impeadence, how you wire your subs to your amp, and the impeadence stability of your amp... htey all hae to blend well...plus you can also look at a subs senitivity.....a sub such as an audiobahn with a 91 db sensitivity is able to be louder with lower wattage than for say a kicker cvr with an 88 db sensitivity...

ill aso agree with 300extreme...jl subs, when power right, not only are some of the best sounding subs, but are loud as **** as well. plus you can never go wron with a memphis mojo...most definitally

ben300
12-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
Correct me if i'm wrong but crossovers will make it so you can dedicate speakers or a channel to a certain range like door speakers for strictly highs, rear deck for mids, and of course the subs are stricly bass i'm pretty sure the amp for the subs has a x-over. Just wondering if it would be worth it to dedicate certain speakers to certain levels or have it all fill in and just use the adjustments on the head unit for bass and treble.

ya, it does make since in some aspects...if you have amps to dedicate to those speakers....component speakers work excellent for this application becuase they come with a cross over so that way you can adjsut the frequency response of the tweeter and the woofer....you have to watch this thow, expecially with the placement of your speakers, such as teh distance of the tweeter from the center of the mid woofer....sometiems if distance is to spaced, you can get and empty hollow sound becaus ethe sound waves produced by these speakers do not mix at the correct time becuase of their separated distance....

another thing to think about, is the style of the musi you normally listn to...if you listen to metal or rock..tens are typicaly a better suited sub because of their faster cone travel, which allows them to reproduce sound faster....twelves work to, but you loose cone speed....12s are a good blended sub for sound if you listn rap or want big sound...and well fifteen's are the typical big boomers..

dont think tho that your can get loud bass from 15's vs. 10's ive seen 3 tens that are WAY louder than two fifteens, when power correctly in the proper box

12-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Yeah I listen to rock and metal with some techno. Doubt much rap will be coming from my speakers. The closest I get to it would probally be Linkin Park which i love and is a mix. Linkin Park sounds good with some good thumping bass but not overpowering. And techno well thats about the biggest thumps you can get lol My subs will most likely be turned down a good amount since I want a more double bass of the drums effect. When I tested out just the 6x9 speakers i was amazed at the sound coming from them. It was so clear and full sounding being 3 way speakers. It really was incredible how 2 speakers could produce so much. Havent had a chance to get all my speakers playing in harmony yet since the 5.25" I bought the 1 was blown so I bought new 6.5" speakers which should have a better sound. Since my speakers are marine grade.... does that mean Icould mount my 1 good 5.25" speaker under the hood or something and use it as a PA system/loudspeaker? lol i dont have a horn so I could make horn noises.

ben300
12-08-2008, 08:04 PM
does that mean Icould mount my 1 good 5.25" speaker under the hood or something and use it as a PA system/loudspeaker? lol i dont have a horn so I could make horn noises.

...so...let me get this straight..you want to put a 5.25" door speaker under your hood adn use it as a horn...

..im sorry...but thats jsut ****ing dumb....

get an aftermarket horn from auto zone or soem ****...there not that expensive.....plus a door speaker woudlnt really be as loud as a horn..but cause they are both loud speakers, but of differetn types, this is cause they operate off of difrent styles of noise reproduction....horns are to cast sound waves over long distances....and car speakers are designed to reverberate off of close objectes to fill space...thats why your speakers are crazy loud in a car when cranked up, but when you open the door, step out adn walk away..the volume drastically drops,...but at a rock concerty you can be a long ways away and the speaker sare still blowing your ear drums out,, cause those are horn style speakers

12-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by ben300
...so...let me get this straight..you want to put a 5.25" door speaker under your hood adn use it as a horn...

..im sorry...but thats jsut ****ing dumb....

get an aftermarket horn from auto zone or soem ****...there not that expensive.....plus a door speaker woudlnt really be as loud as a horn..but cause they are both loud speakers, but of differetn types, this is cause they operate off of difrent styles of noise reproduction....horns are to cast sound waves over long distances....and car speakers are designed to reverberate off of close objectes to fill space...thats why your speakers are crazy loud in a car when cranked up, but when you open the door, step out adn walk away..the volume drastically drops,...but at a rock concerty you can be a long ways away and the speaker sare still blowing your ear drums out,, cause those are horn style speakers

no I said its a PA system so ic an talk through it, shout random things, say hi to people ya know lol. for a horn i really want a 150dB train horn

ben300
12-08-2008, 08:16 PM
no I said its a PA system so ic an talk through it, shout random things, say hi to people ya know lol. for a horn i really want a 150dB train horn

then get one..it'll still work the same...but be a BILLION times louder than if you did that with a 5.25" speaker under your hood...

you could get everyone, their brother, and their grandmothers attention...haha

12-08-2008, 08:34 PM
then get one..it'll still work the same...but be a BILLION times louder than if you did that with a 5.25" speaker under your hood...

you could get everyone, their brother, and their grandmothers attention...haha

lol i was just thinking of the possible things i could do with 1 marine grade 5.25" speaker that i'm not using and is perfectly good. I thought about mounting it in the center somewhere but stereo is Left and Right no center so idk how that would work. Anyone need a 5.25" 2 way speaker? lol I have 2 good speaker grills too nvere used for the 5.25"

ben300
12-08-2008, 08:40 PM
lol i was just thinking of the possible things i could do with 1 marine grade 5.25" speaker that i'm not using and is perfectly good. I thought about mounting it in the center somewhere but stereo is Left and Right no center so idk how that would work. Anyone need a 5.25" 2 way speaker? lol I have 2 good speaker grills too nvere used for the 5.25"

save the thing....you never know hwen your gonna be in your high schools parking, get a little throttle happy, and blow one of teh ****ers up..

alwaysgood to have a back up

mineralgrey01gt
12-08-2008, 09:00 PM
my system in my 2001 mustang GT:

Alpine IVA-W200 touchscreen double din radio w/ navigation
Rockford Fosgate Punch 700s amplifer
1 Kicker comp CVR 12" sub in a sealed box
All Rockford Fosgate wiring
Kicker door speakers (sound like crap IMO)

Now im getting ready to change it up. Here is the new setup that is being built in 2 weeks by myself:

Same h/u, same amp, and wiring, but im building a box to hold 3 kicker comp 12's in a sealed box with a "floating" amp rack made out of plexiglass in the middle of the box with frosted plexiglass legs and frosted piece of plexiglass underneath the amp with blue neon lighting that will evenly distribute through the glass with HID LED's shining on the subs when my trunk opens up.

If money permits im going to run Focal components in my car. Those sound really crisp and clear but are very pricey

12-08-2008, 09:05 PM
save the thing....you never know hwen your gonna be in your high schools parking, get a little throttle happy, and blow one of teh ****ers up..

alwaysgood to have a back up

throttle happy? lol i'm confused. i wouldnt crank the music in the schools parking lot anyways too many to judge and hate on me lol

ben300
12-08-2008, 09:12 PM
throttle happy? lol i'm confused. i wouldnt crank the music in the schools parking lot anyways too many to judge and hate on me lol

ya...where i come from..weh refer to things liket hat as throttle...same as volume you know..getting throttle hapy=equals cranking the **** out of your system...

and who cares what ppl think...as long you like it man

12-08-2008, 09:23 PM
ya...where i come from..weh refer to things liket hat as throttle...same as volume you know..getting throttle hapy=equals cranking the **** out of your system...

and who cares what ppl think...as long you like it man

yeah i'm like that most of the time i dont care but some people almost get offended and hate someone because of their music. Thats why I like when people can accept almost all music to some degree. I dont like rap but yeah I like a few songs and listen to them. I dont care for country but theres songs that are good and I will listen to. Techno most **** is weird but theres about 5 songs I like and listen to. Most of my music is rock and metal. Some poeple surprise me. I was listening to Disturbed one day and this gangster walks up and is like you probally wouldnt guess that I like that stuff too. I love Rob Zombie... and starts naming a lot of bands I like. I was like cool.

ben300
12-08-2008, 09:27 PM
yeah i'm like that most of the time i dont care but some people almost get offended and hate someone because of their music. Thats why I like when people can accept almost all music to some degree. I dont like rap but yeah I like a few songs and listen to them. I dont care for country but theres songs that are good and I will listen to. Techno most **** is weird but theres about 5 songs I like and listen to. Most of my music is rock and metal. Some poeple surprise me. I was listening to Disturbed one day and this gangster walks up and is like you probally wouldnt guess that I like that stuff too. I love Rob Zombie... and starts naming a lot of bands I like. I was like cool.

ya everyone likes different ****...im in to country and rock...

but ya...but the whole thing to a good system is so that you can enjoy teh music you love....but i understand what your saying...

but when iw as younger....i had to have mine cranked all the ****ing time...

motoman990
12-08-2008, 09:35 PM
In my Chevy Aveo I have all sony products. I have a sony head unit, sony door speakers ran by a sony 500 watt 4 channel amplifier, 4 12inch sony subwoofers in a custom box i made. The subs are ran by two sony 1300 watt mono amplifiers and i have a extra kinetik battery for extra power. I have yet to find someone around me that is louder. And i can still have people sit in the back seat.

ben300
12-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by motoman990
In my Chevy Aveo I have all sony products. I have a sony head unit, sony door speakers ran by a sony 500 watt 4 channel amplifier, 4 12inch sony subwoofers in a custom box i made. The subs are ran by two sony 1300 watt mono amplifiers and i have a extra kinetik battery for extra power. I have yet to find someone around me that is louder. And i can still have people sit in the back seat.

those explods are honestly really really loud...

my friend had 2 tens in a regular cab s10 and they were really loud..

accept they kept hitting the back of hte seat...it was annoying

motoman990
12-08-2008, 10:02 PM
If someone is in the back i have to turn the bass down but when it is turned up i am easily heard from blocks away.:D

ben300
12-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by motoman990
If someone is in the back i have to turn the bass down but when it is turned up i am easily heard from blocks away.:D

with four 12's your ought to be

300extreme#8
12-08-2008, 10:36 PM
honestly sony actually makes good products whether you get them at walmart or somewhere different. But you havent heard a Sony sub until you have listened to the Sony P5, them things pound. prolly one of the best subs in the business.. back to the guy with the 4 12s, only the only problem I see with that system, and you thinkin your subs are loud but your also powering them with an A-B class sony amp that says its 1300 watts when truely you might actually be getting only 750watts at most and even thats not pure bass power. I promise you if you put a good amp like a memphis, interfire, or any other known D-class amp then your sonys will really talk to you......:blah:

ben300
12-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by 300extreme#8
honestly sony actually makes good products whether you get them at walmart or somewhere different. But you havent heard a Sony sub until you have listened to the Sony P5, them things pound. prolly one of the best subs in the business.. back to the guy with the 4 12s, only the only problem I see with that system, and you thinkin your subs are loud but your also powering them with an A-B class sony amp that says its 1300 watts when truely you might actually be getting only 750watts at most and even thats not pure bass power. I promise you if you put a good amp like a memphis, interfire, or any other known D-class amp then your sonys will really talk to you......:blah:

i woudnt say the sony's are on par with the best out htere, but they are very good equipment. the stuff from walmart is only sratch adn dent....dropped at the factory or are the old models of the current models.

..and on the subject of being powered by amps...any sub, correctly powered can boom

ben300
12-08-2008, 10:47 PM
plus its saying 1300 cause they're advertising the peak power output at optum conditions with zero clipping @ 1 second of power...

most of eveery company advertises peak power...

only a few companies advertise true power..

jl audio is one of them..

sometiems tho you can actualy get mmore power out of an amp, such as a high current amp which in some instances can draw higher currents and produce powers such as 1345 watts instead of the advertised 1200

300extreme#8
12-08-2008, 10:57 PM
i woudnt say the sony's are on par with the best out htere, but they are very good equipment.

yea they are prolly not the best by no means, just the loudest i have ever heard, I was at a car show in memphis and there was a tahoe with 3 diamond 15s and one of the biggest amps I have ever seen. i forgot what its called, and then there was a hummer with a mtx hammers or sledge hammer, not sure but it was crazy looking, then there was a trailblazer with 2 sony P5s and you could hear them over the other too. buy I must say Idk how some people can stand that much bass, theres no way I could drive with the subs on in those 3 vehicles. especially the 3 15s I couldnt even move my eyes

ben300
12-08-2008, 11:04 PM
yea they are prolly not the best by no means, just the loudest i have ever heard, I was at a car show in memphis and there was a tahoe with 3 diamond 15s and one of the biggest amps I have ever seen. i forgot what its called, and then there was a hummer with a mtx hammers or sledge hammer, not sure but it was crazy looking, then there was a trailblazer with 2 sony P5s and you could hear them over the other too. buy I must say Idk how some people can stand that much bass, theres no way I could drive with the subs on in those 3 vehicles. especially the 3 15s I couldnt even move my eyes

chances are those sonys were cranked and everything else wasnt....the jack hammer is a leggitamate monster....but i think its over rated compaired to some of the serious spl subs out there....

but for the buck..the sonys are loud

mineralgrey01gt
12-08-2008, 11:17 PM
loudest ive heard by far was 4 DD 15's (local company) they build some serious quality stuff. There amps, speakers, etc are all top notch, decent price also

greenblood01
12-08-2008, 11:33 PM
I had 2 15" Kicker Solo Baric (old round style) in my extended cab Ranger with a 1200w Xplod 2/1 channel amp bridged to 1 ohm in a huge ported box facing down. I was 5'6 at the time and couldn't even sit where I did before. Wish I wouldn't of sold them.

I'm getting 2 Xplod P5's and a 1200w Sony amp for my F-150 in the next month or so. Along with all new Sony door speakers.

For the money, Sony Xplod is tough to beat.

300extreme#8
12-09-2008, 01:29 AM
I'm not talking about the exlodes that sony makes though, I tryied looking it up earlier and found that they make a sony explode p5 now. But I went to the show about 3 or 4 years ago about the time mtx came out with the sledge hammer. Sony made another sub that was 449 a sub and it was called sony P5. Its all black and doesn't say sony in the middle or explode. It was kinda like pioneer and premiere kinda thing

ben300
12-09-2008, 07:56 AM
I'm not talking about the exlodes that sony makes though, I tryied looking it up earlier and found that they make a sony explode p5 now. But I went to the show about 3 or 4 years ago about the time mtx came out with the sledge hammer. Sony made another sub that was 449 a sub and it was called sony P5. Its all black and doesn't say sony in the middle or explode. It was kinda like pioneer and premiere kinda thing

it probably wasnt a sony....probaby something else....ive been heavy into car audio for a long time adn im pretty sure that about 3 years, no make that four years ago, they just came out with the p5's which were the first gen of what they have now...

im not saying your wrong..cause i may be..but beieve is sony has some $450 sub back then...it was a one off comp sub that soem factory guy got

ALAMX37
12-09-2008, 09:13 AM
My friend has a Navigator with 4 l7 15's in a custom box with two of the digital kicker big butt amps. It literally is so loud you cant get a good deep breathe while the music is on. He shattered three windows in it. Or Memphis also makes an awesome product. I have heard to mojo 15's beat down. Remember you aint beating unless your vision is blurred.

ben300
12-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by ALAMX37
My friend has a Navigator with 4 l7 15's in a custom box with two of the digital kicker big butt amps. It literally is so loud you cant get a good deep breathe while the music is on. He shattered three windows in it. Or Memphis also makes an awesome product. I have heard to mojo 15's beat down. Remember you aint beating unless your vision is blurred.

i like it when you can feel the liquid membrane on the outside of your eyes move...:devil: