PDA

View Full Version : How many have switched to twist throttle?

rinaldi
12-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Since I am looking at new bars I was wondering input on the thumb throttle in comparison to the twist throttle. I have only owned bikes and this is my first quad. I really have not ridden mine at all since I bought it, but the minimal riding I did the thumb throttle seemed very natural. Still I am wondering if the twist would be better and more natural feeling since I am very used to bikes. What is your take? I am sure it is preference, but give me your thoughts please.

tyman2395
12-07-2008, 04:40 PM
I have a twist throttle and love it. I find it is easier on your hand because the thumb throttle hurts you thumb after a little bit of riding i have mine for sale for 30 bucks because i need the 450r twist throttle because i got a 450r carb

12-07-2008, 04:55 PM
i hate twist thottles with a passion. i swear if i had a dirt bike i would put a thumb on it

NacsMXer
12-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by rinaldi
Since I am looking at new bars I was wondering input on the thumb throttle in comparison to the twist throttle. I have only owned bikes and this is my first quad. I really have not ridden mine at all since I bought it, but the minimal riding I did the thumb throttle seemed very natural. Still I am wondering if the twist would be better and more natural feeling since I am very used to bikes. What is your take? I am sure it is preference, but give me your thoughts please.

I have bikes with twist throttles and quads with thumb throttles. The twists feel natural on the bikes, but they feel very awkward on quads. Mainly because you cannot lean and operate the twist throttle on a quad in the same manner you do on a bike, it just feels strange for some reason. I also find technical riding, and jumps to be much harder with a twist installed on a quad. I ride with much more confidence and control with a thumb on a quad.

If you ride wide open for long periods of time like dune riding, without many technical areas, the twist might be ok on a quad. But they just feel strange to me in all other types of quad riding. Yet at the same time they feel right at home on a bike to me. What does that tell you?

You can always get the Moose/Terry Cable dual gasser throttle and have the option of twist or thumb at the flick of a switch.

Lonestar_R
12-07-2008, 06:29 PM
I have a twist throttle that was on my 400 when I got it. I will sell it cheap if you wanna try it out.

12-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
i hate twist thottles with a passion. i swear if i had a dirt bike i would put a thumb on it

x2, i rode a blaster with one and there a few times i tought i was gonna die

CJM
12-07-2008, 07:42 PM
There was a guy who used a roofing nail and some epoxy putty as well as a 250R or something thumb throttle as a base.

he said it was awesome, do a search and im sure you will find it.

BlaineKaiser450
12-07-2008, 09:26 PM
I hate twist throttles! when i get a bike, im putting a thumb on it. Even bikes,to me, feel weird with a twist

tri5ron
12-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by CJM
There was a guy who used a roofing nail and some epoxy putty as well as a 250R or something thumb throttle as a base.

he said it was awesome, do a search and im sure you will find it.

I use a twist on mine, but my wife felt more secure with the thumb throttle. The problem was the thumb throttle made her hand cramp very quickly.
Here's what I did to fix the problem...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=370765&highlight=no+more+thumb

cjtrx400ex
12-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Get a dual gasser like NacsMxer said you can use the thumb throttle for technical riding and use the twist on straightways or just cruising to give your thumb some rest. Check out this thread http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=336822