PDA

View Full Version : Nice Wreck!

400exRacerX
11-12-2001, 08:18 PM
Well, yesterday I was at my Dad's new house which he owns 4 acres off woods and the only way to get to the flat treeless plateau is you need to climb a very very steep hill. We are building a track up there this spring so I went up there to take a look at what we are going to do. Well first off the hill was covered in leaves which I got no traction on, so we blew all the leaves out of out path going up the hill, cut some small trees down,and changed my from my mx tires to the stockers. Well my first attemp before I changed my tires I only made it half way up, So I went in the garage whipped out the impact gun and quickly changed them. So I went up the hill again in 1st gear and this is when it all went down. The middle of the hill is the steepest part of it. So I am going up the hill and hit the middle which is roughly 60-65 degrees straight up, so now I am climbing the steep part and my rear tires begin to spin alittle, so I gave it just alittle more gas thinking I was gonna get myself out of it but I was wrong! Well what happened is a spun my tires, caught a nice size rock and my front end flew up like a rocket on the loose. Well I flew off it and tumbled down the hill alittle and my bike flipped backwards and to the side then back onto it wheels and slid into a tree and stopped. Thank god my quad was ok! But I am alittle banged up and not quiet the hill climber!
Well today I went back and flew up it in 2nd gear and got up there no problem. All in a days learning is what it took!

stocktires
11-12-2001, 10:06 PM
why did you take is SOO slow? thats what makes it dangerous! I always hit hills wide a** open!

400exRacerX
11-13-2001, 01:35 PM
When a hill has turns on it, its hard to go up it wide open, especially the incline I was on too, believe its not a easy hill and I have climbed many hills in my day.

trueblue450
11-13-2001, 03:00 PM
When in doubt, give her gas!!!

I never climb a hill in first gear.

stocktires
11-13-2001, 04:33 PM
im with you 300exman, as long as your in a decently straight line you can just haul a** up it! as long as it isnt steeper than 75 degrees. But what hill has turns on it???

Chef
11-13-2001, 05:23 PM
the hills that have turns are the fun ones! :D

kc 300EX
11-13-2001, 05:43 PM
oh no HOTT440EX, the hills that arent trails yet, that are really just washed out streams with sandy bottoms and rocks at the bottom, and its just a few inches too narrow to fit through and your front tires rub the sides are definetly the most fun!

Chef
11-13-2001, 05:57 PM
well, i think you got me there. and some more that are fun are the ones you have to back down, the ones with only one way out, the way you backed down! :cool:

kc 300EX
11-13-2001, 06:15 PM
YEAH! the ones that just b4 u get to the top you realize, there is no top!

400exRacerX
11-13-2001, 06:27 PM
The hill is about 65 degrees and has alot of trees you need to curve around, not easy.......I'd like to see one of you get up this thing. Seriously I would..

Chef
11-13-2001, 06:35 PM
well the first thing i would want to know is.....how tall is it? would it be harder or easier if it was sand? cause i swear that i found the hardest hill in oregon at winchester bay, oregon. no, its not the hill that all these pics are of, ive never seen a pic of it, but i just know that a raptor geared down with a full dmc exhaust and 8 paddle haulers didnt make it, and a DS 650 is too wide. the only quads makin it were banshees and and a few 400s, mainly me and HOTT416EX who is on this site as well. it was probably 400 FT tall and had lik 10-12 turns at the bottom, then came out of the trees and if you didnt hit it at the right time, you either got stuck, or spun sideways. well here, lets have a diagram.

ok....last turn is here - the rest of the hill goes up hereI

-to [ = -Iyou turn 90 degrees left, hit it and go up another 200 ft or so, pretty tough, and atleast as steep as your hill

Chef
11-13-2001, 06:37 PM
well lets put it this way, is it as tall as this hill? the little specs are me and HOTT416EX, at the top, this pic isnt it, but its tall

Striker49
11-13-2001, 06:48 PM
Sweet place to ride there HOTT440. So far i havent had any trouble with any hills on my 250ex and for all those who have been to Turkey Bay, you know how big some of the hills there are. Im still puzzled on how buggies get up some of the buggie hills. :huh

trx400ex
11-13-2001, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by 400exRacerX
The hill is about 65 degrees and has alot of trees you need to curve around, not easy.......I'd like to see one of you get up this thing. Seriously I would..

we have a big friggin hill like that theres about 8 feet to get speed at the bottom of the hill there is then 2 turns and then a third turn where you can pick what way you want to go. i was doin it in first with do prob , but then i tried it in secnd, the 400 ate all the running space and then built power for another 25 feet up the hill then things got steep and it bogged at the top, it also has a huge root stickin out that get you a foot in there air and eats your speed, but if you dont hit it fast then you wont make it up the hill

trueblue450
11-14-2001, 04:49 PM
Well 400EXRacerX Im not puttin your hill down but Im sure we have all climbed steeper hills that this. I have jumped out of some that are 50degrees into 90. The only way through em is gas like hell. But if your hills got some crazy turns and bumps in it then maybe Im wrong.

11-21-2001, 01:58 PM
When i rode at my old house my friend down the street had this hill that was only about 25ft tall but for the last 4ft it was oververt. it's weird at the top becuase your front end comes up and it feels like your going back down the hill when your back tires hit the top. I was the only one who could climb it or go down it.

400exRacerX
11-24-2001, 10:57 PM
Do you realize what 90 degrees is? I'm not doubting your knowledge but 90 is just about impossible to climb floored without flipping backwards.

trueblue450
11-26-2001, 08:19 PM
No seriously... ive climbed hills with like 130 degree tops. Its awsome. You hit it about 5th gear WFO and then nail your back brake and front brake. Then you push as hard forward on the handle bars and land perfect. Its about like 15 feet of air atleast... So your hill is nothing compared to mine.

Anyways!

| 90 degrees is straight up and down isnt it???? :D Yes the hills go from slight incline (by slight one is prolly 50 and the other goes like 60) to the top 2-4 feet is straight up. just give her gas and you will land right at the top with your wheels sitting on the edge. Its cool..

Lil90man!!
11-27-2001, 04:32 AM
haha we have hills like that there straight up at the top we went riding last weekend and i almost flipped back down one of em, thank god for the big dudes!! i went up one that was straight up at the top and i hit the top and didn't push the front down hard enough and i landed on the top of this hill it is staright up then it just levels off all the sudden my frame landed on the very top and have u ever seen a movie where the car is hanging off the edge, that was me!!!! then 2 great big guys came running over and grabbed mi tire/bumper and pulled me on over the hill! on that hill i have seen many people hit the top and just ramp up, then come back down backwards the same way they went up!!

004exkid
11-28-2001, 04:34 PM
Yea I climb 130 degree hills all the time too. Hahah sounds like a line to me. What is the point of flaming this guy ? This is supposed to be a helpful site where fellow riders can hang out not "your hills suck my quad is faster" just a thought.

jim

400exRacerX
11-29-2001, 07:43 PM
Well first off I still don't believe the 130 degree part and also 15ft of air on stock suspension on a 300ex???? Thats very hard to believe. My friend has a 300ex and it bottoms on a 3ft jump.

Nausty
11-30-2001, 04:31 PM
I don't either there is a LOT of scary stupid hills at bussey but no 130 degree ones which i'm guessing this is at bussey because he lives in pella and the anything like that that i've seen you have to hit them at a angle and hit the db rutts. There is lots of vertical hills but I havn't see anyone climb 130 hills because its impossible not unless you jump but then it would just be a step up.

400exRacerX
11-30-2001, 08:54 PM
Nuasty, now that you mention 130 degree hills, I don't think I have seen one.:huh And to be hitting 130 degree hill in 5th gear you would just bogg out.

Lil90man!!
12-01-2001, 05:38 PM
ok not flaming here but think about it 5th gear pinned what at least 50mph most hills that steep aren't really that high u pull in the clutch and can cost to the top!!!this also help because u don't flip off/back down the hill from goin to fast, and i know someone is gonna say that you can't "coast" up a hill, well don't tell me that cause i do it all the time!!!!!!!

Chef
12-01-2001, 05:45 PM
ok.......lets think about this here.

well first, 90 degrees is straight up and down or l, and 130 degrees would be roughly like this : /, correct? so by going up a hill like this /, you would not even come close to getting on top of the hill, and it would be very tough to do on a hill like this: l.

so my conclusion dear watson, is that you guys dont know your angles, or are just plain lieing

4punksdad
12-01-2001, 06:03 PM
Climbing hills that are beyond vertical (in places) is not impossible at all.