PDA

View Full Version : Ar/m4 ??

hypersnyper6947
12-07-2008, 02:05 PM
I know a lot of you guys on here are gun guys. I recently bought my stripped AR lower so i can start to build my AR before this ban comes into play. I am having trouble finding lower parts kits. Does anyone know where i can find a lower parts kit, or have one they want to sell me. Also I was looking at some uppers, do you think i should buy all the upper components separately and put it together or buy a complete upper? What brands should i stay away from. Also is WOLF ammo really bad or not really? Im just looking for cheap plinking ammo that wont jam.

Thanks

ben300
12-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
I know a lot of you guys on here are gun guys. I recently bought my stripped AR lower so i can start to build my AR before this ban comes into play. I am having trouble finding lower parts kits. Does anyone know where i can find a lower parts kit, or have one they want to sell me. Also I was looking at some uppers, do you think i should buy all the upper components separately and put it together or buy a complete upper? What brands should i stay away from. Also is WOLF ammo really bad or not really? Im just looking for cheap plinking ammo that wont jam.

Thanks

wolf ammo.....cheap..

you can go several ways about your ar....you can buy complete or build it up piece by piece...piece by piece...you get to put what you want in it...

look at some things from dps...wilson combat..companies like that...

also look for stuff from midway usa....they have thoursands of custom gun and gun smithing parts

hypersnyper6947
12-07-2008, 04:55 PM
I have been on midwayusa.com they are about out of everything AR related. Have you ever used wolf ammo? I think im going to do it piece by piece, have you ever heard of a company called blackhorn. They have lots of uppers for sale, i think they are a new company so of coarse people are giving them a hard time, but i have heard some good reviews.

hskers82
12-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Rock River is another good one to buy from but I am sure everything is on backorder

tater_kamik
12-07-2008, 09:14 PM
ar15.com has tons of links and info. as far as wolf ammo, its steel casing not brass. hasnt torn up anything up in mine but im only shooting it till i finish reloading brass for it (been lazy) main thing when choosing ar ammo is to make sure the coating used on the outside on some ammo (i cannot remember what the coating is called) to waterproof it isnt present. reason is the heat from firing melts it and will gum up your rifle causing it to cycle incorrectly. gotta love the gas tube.

SPDSNYPR
12-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Go over to AR15.com - they should have links to everyplace you can think of to get lower parts kits (lpk's). I have a few spare trigger groups and such lying around, but want to hang on to them.

There is no reason to buy parts and assemble your upper if you are doing something basic. If you are opting for a rail, low profile gas block, high-end bbl, etc - then it might make sense. But otherwise you really don't save much. Actually probably nothing after you buy the tools to do the job right.

Stay away from Olympic. Not a big fan of model one sales, either. Just like in quads, you get what you pay for. Buy at least middle of the road. Barrels, bolts and bolt carriers are the most important pieces of the puzzle. Cheap bolts break, incorrectly assembled BCGs fail (usually the carrier key), and poor quality barrels will not shoot reliably and accurately.

I'd stay away from Wolf personally, but all my AR's are either match guns or social guns - reliability and accuracy are everything and Wolf isn't known for either. If you are just getting into the game and just want plinking ammo, it might work OK for you. It might also frustrate you.

Enjoy the new toy. Make sure you study up on how to put it together right, and you should have a ball with it. Post pics when you're done.

BTW - I typically buy my AR stuff from Brownells.com.

Here's a pic just to keep you motivated.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/jlatzke/Guns/IMG_2607.jpg