PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather riding gear

mbx5
12-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Any good recommendations on cold weather gear.....something flexible, water proof, warm, etc....

Need suggestions on gloves, boots, thermal pants or coveralls, coats, etc.....

All of that stuff is pretty expensive - just want to see what other people are using before I go blow $300 or more....

Thanks!

QuadJunkies
12-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Klim has awesome cold weather gear.
We got a set of it this fall .They also have really nice helmets that are ventilated to prevent sweating. We got a face guard to bcok cold for my Daughters helmet.

MX#9
12-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Depending how cold it is this is what i wear:

Regular riding gear with long johns underneath and either a sweatshirt or insulated coveralls

regular riding gloves or sometimes MSR cold pro gloves. I try to avoid the cold pro gloves because they are bulky.

Regular riding boots with a pair of tube socks....a pair of riding socks and a pair of Cabelas gore tex socks.
The gore tex socks allow my feet to get wet,but not cold

I usually tape off the mouth piece of my helmet and wear regular goggles.

It helps considerably to have hand gaurds. That is how I get away with regular gloves.

I also try to stay in the woods and away from too many open fields or dirt roads. If i stay in the woods and ride hard.....I'll sweat when it is below zero.

As you can see....nothing really special.....just layers in line with the outside temp.

scuzz
12-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Good idea with taping off the mouth piece!

ZeroLogic
12-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Long johns and wool socks.:o

Bradracer18
12-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Was just at Dicks sporting goods, and seen some like snowboarding/snowmobiling gear that looked very comfortable and cool. You should look into it. Usually staying warm is just about keeping the wind off of you. Also watch on the gear you wear, it burns easy usually(the cold gear)....so watch your leg

MX#9
12-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Yeah it is the wind that cuts thru you.....brrrr!

i also wear a fanny pak and always,always have an extra pair of gloves.

Your exhaust will dry off your gloves and warm your fingers if needed.
a word of advice......take your gloves off first before trying to dry them. As wet gloves get hot they basically start to try and boil your fingers!

I absolutley love winter riding. It is my favorite.....unless the snow gets too deep.....then it is just work.

5 or 6 inches of snow can make the easiest obstacle very difficult.

patrickj75
12-12-2008, 02:19 PM
I plan on ice racing this winter...I bought some Arctiva shell type jacket and pants then i'm going to layer underneath. I found a website called www.ruoutside.com they have alot of layering stuff.