PDA

View Full Version : Performace advise

Grimzella
12-07-2008, 12:51 PM
I was wanting some advise on full exhausts.. FMF.. or HMF? Supertrapp or pro circuit? <= Where would be the best place to purchase online?

How about filters.. Uni or K&N?

and Jets .. JetsRus or Dyno kit?

after this setup.. should i also get a better rev limiter?

Thanks for any replies.

JParisi48
12-07-2008, 01:35 PM
id get an hmf full exhaust, that and curtis sparks i think are the best for a 300ex, air filter, i think k and n makes more power but people say that uni sucks up more dirt, i like my k and n just fine, jet kits not sure, and i dont think a better rev limiter would do much with these simple mods

Grimzella
12-07-2008, 01:44 PM
thats 1 vote for HMF... I do see alot of HMF's for sale on ebay NEW. but not too much of anything else.
Are they noisy or around 96db.

JParisi48
12-07-2008, 05:22 PM
im not sure about the decibles but i think it meets all the requirments i love the sound of em

honda300EXtreme
12-07-2008, 05:33 PM
between those that you listed i would recomend the HMF. i suggest you purchase a quiet core to make sure you are with in the DB limit, i have had both filters i did like the uni better, it let less into the intact track and carb, although a prefilter on the K&N gives you about the same filtration as any other foam filter, it just depends on how much you want to spend, as far as jetting, just stick with the stock keihin jets and jet accordingly to mods and location, it keeps things simple and accomplishes the same job

a increased rev-limiter will not be very beneficial to minor motor mods, once you dig a little further into the motor THEN it would be wise to invest in one,

Grimzella
12-07-2008, 10:45 PM
honda300EXtreme, since we live in the same area... what would you suggest with jetting? if i get the HMF full system.. with uni filter and open up the airbox. a keihin jet size of 125 or 128. or are stock keihin jets different in sizes? just wondering where i should start size wize.

JohnT_98300EX
12-08-2008, 03:59 AM
log 1 vote for the FMF Q2. WHen I got mine it was really affordable at just about $300 for head pipe and canister. Has held up well, sounds great, and still looks good. It is not a real loud pipe.
I went to a 128 main jet, Uni filter, and put 6 Uni vents in the top of the air box. Seat of the pants dyno says it worked well.

honda300EXtreme
12-08-2008, 02:11 PM
pick up a 125, 128 and a size bigger if you want,

a 128 should be about spot on, and then fine tune from there

JParisi48
12-08-2008, 05:55 PM
yea i have the same set up and i use a 128 (hmf k nd n)

dirtdawg
12-09-2008, 09:44 AM
not to confuse anyone, but i live in RI have a 168 main and 42 pilot w/ cobra full, k&n and box lid off. it is under 500 feet elevation wise.

Grimzella
12-09-2008, 03:13 PM
dirtdawg,, thats good to know. This is why i needed that answer from honda300EXtreme. i knew we lived around the same elevation. I appreciate all the input given here by everyone. As soon as it is all finished.. i will post on how it went.. and how she's running. I have been riding this thing all summer STOCK!! except for the 400ex rear tires. I bet i notice a difference.

Update: I ended up finding a BRAND NEW FMF powercore 4 WITH header for $150.00. So i bought it. Sorry.. no HMF this time around. but soon, a 400ex will be in my hands so who knows, maybe it will get the HMF.

dont know if this will work ..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220322381396&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=

Thanks again everyone,
Dave

Grimzella
12-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Well it's done. I got the FMF powercore4 w/header installed. 128 Keihin jet, lowered needle valve e-clip 1 notch and replaced stock filter with a UNI filter. So far so good. I couldn't have done it without everyones help.

Since everything seems fine,, runs great thru all gears.. and thru all RPM ranges and no boggs. What would happen if I now opened the airbox? like add them hole filters ect. Would I maybe start to notice issues at this point? Could it be tested by removing the airbox lid?

Thanks again,
Dave